Guide to Converting HEIC to JPG on an Apple Device
Apple introduced the HEIC format for photos when it launched iOS 11. Unfortunately, although the new format compresses the size of images, it is sometimes incompatible with other devices. You might have noticed this when exporting pictures on your Apple device.
Since JPG is the universal standard, you cannot convert Apple HEIC pictures to JPG if you want to view or load them on a different device.
We have prepared the ultimate post for you to help point you in the right direction. So, what are you waiting for? Let's dive right in.
Why Do You Need to Convert HEIC to JPG?
|Full Name||High-Efficiency Image Container||Joint Photographic Experts Group|
|Supported Operation Systems||Apple Photos and Apple Preview (macOS High Sierra and later), and iOS Photos (iOS 11 and later)||Compatible with almost all operating systems and devices|
|Quality||Offer higher quality than JPG||Although JPG offers excellent quality, HEIC is a class apart|
|File Size||Requires only 4 megabytes for high-quality images||Requires 8 megabytes for high-quality images|
Why Convert? The HEIC Limitations
Although HEIC has a lot to offer in terms of quality and size, it has its fair share of limitations. This is why most people look for ways to convert iOS HEIC to JPG or iPad HEIC to JPG.
- The fact is that JPG files have been around for longer. On the other hand, HEIC is not compatible with other operating systems, devices, and software. Therefore, it makes sense to convert Apple HEIC to JPG.
- Besides, JPGs open quickly in every modern web browser and software. It is this lack of compatibility which results in iOS HEIC to JPG. Before Windows updated to 10, things were even more complicated for Apple users.
- Now, if you decide to upload a HEIC directly on social media or any other platform, it will convert to JPG and lose its quality. Moreover, the patent of the HEIC format is being contested by other groups with similar patents.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on iPhone?
If you are considering converting Apple HEIC to JPG, here are some options available.
- Select "Most Compatible" of "Camera" in the "Settings"
The easiest way to convert iOS HEIC to JPG requires you to go to Settings.
- Go ahead and scroll down to the Camera option.
- Then, you should tap on formats to browse through the options.
- Now, you will come across two options. You can either select Most Compatible or High Efficiency. Since High Efficiency refers to HEIC, you need to select Most Compatible. That is about it.
- "Automatic" of "Photos" in the "Settings"
Since the HEIC format can sometimes be a nuisance, you will want to convert iOS HEIC to JPG. Then, you can force your Apple device to capture pictures in JPG.
- All you have to do is go to the Settings menu and select Photos.
- You must go to the bottom to find "Transfer to Mac or PC".
- After that, you need to select "Automatic" to ensure that your HEIC files are converted to JPG when sharing with an incompatible
- "Save Image" by Tapping Share via the Photos App
In addition to the above, you can also use the Photos app to convert Apple HEIC to JPG.
- At the top of the menu, you must search for File and select Export.
- Then, you need to go through the drop-down menu and choose JPG as the desired format.
- Lastly, you have to select Save and that should do the trick.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac?
For those who use a Mac, you will need to try the following options to convert iOS HEIC to JPG.
- Use Preview App for Conversion
The quickest way to convert HEIC files to JPG on Mac is through the Preview app. It allows you to change the default image format instantly. However, it would help if you were prepared for the decrease in storage space. So here's what you need to do.
- Open the Preview app and open the desired HEIC image.
- Select File from the top menu and click on Export.
- A Format drop-down menu will appear, from which you need to select JPG as the desired format.
- Next, you will have to give the new JPG file a name and select where to save it.
- Finally, click Save and you should be done.
- Convert HEIC with Automator
Another option that is available for the conversion of iOS HEIC to JPG is Automator. It is accessible software that is included in older Macs. You can take advantage of it by following the steps below.
- Open the Automator app under applications.
- Set the action type when asked which document you want to select.
- Select the image files option and leave everything else as default.
- Set the action type when asked which document you want to select.
- Now, go through the drop-down and change the default image type to JPG.
- Proceed by clicking on file and export it to save the file.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on iPad?
Try File App for Conversion
If you want to change iPad HEIC to JPG, you have to try File app for the conversion. It offers quick results. In fact, you can expect to have your images converted within seconds. However, keep in mind that the convert image quick action is only available for iPad OS 16 users. Hence, you might want first to update your iPad.
Here are the steps you need to follow to convert an image from iPad HEIC to JPG.
- Open the Files app.
- Select the folder that contains the picture you need to convert.
- Next, you just have to tap and hold the photo that you must convert to JPG.
- Now, you only need to select Quick Actions and tap Convert Image.
- Once the Convert Image action runs, you will have to select the JPG format.
- You will also have to select the desired image size. Choose from Original, Small, Medium, and Large.
- Lastly, you only have to wait for a few seconds for the image to be converted into the desired file format. That should do the trick. The new file will be saved in your photo album.
Bonus Tips: Easy Online Tool to Convert HEIC to JPG
HEIC Online Converter
For the best iOS HEIC to JPG conversion experience, you need to use a HEIC online converter. This is where Wondershare Dr.Fone-HEIC Online Converter comes into place. It is possibly the best option on the market. You will be amazed by what it can do for you.
With this free online HEIC converter, you can convert multiple HEIC photos to JPG format without losing the quality. Forget about having to waste time converting one image at a time. Instead, you should be able to convert all your pictures in no time.
A great thing about Wondershare Dr.Fone-HEIC Online Converter is the fact that you can either select files or drag and drop them. It lets you convert up to 10 HEIC files to JPG at a time. You should be able to get your pictures converted by following the three steps mentioned below.
- Click the "+ Add Files" button in order to select the desired files or you can drag and drop the files directly.
- Next, the HEIC Converter will convert the files automatically to JPG format.
- Once the process is completed, you should be able to download the JPG files on your Apple device.
The Bottom Line
After you have gone over the post, you will understand the limitations of the HEIC format and why it is necessary to convert your HEIC files to JPG. Fortunately, we have shared a number of solutions that are available at your disposal.
However, if you want a stress-free experience, we recommend that you use Wondershare Dr.Fone-HEIC Online Converter as it is easy to use. It is designed for everyone and always provides quality results. Hence, you will be satisfied with the performance.
- iPhone Managing Tips
- iPhone Contacts Tips
- iCloud Tips
- iPhone Message Tips
- Activate iPhone without SIM card
- Activate New iPhone AT&T
- Activate New iPhone Verizon
- How to Use iPhone Tips
- Other iPhone Tips
- Best iPhone Photo Printers
- Call Forwarding Apps for iPhone
- Security Apps for iPhone
- Things You Can Do with Your iPhone on the Plane
- Internet Explorer Alternatives for iPhone
- Find iPhone Wi-Fi Password
- Get Free Unlimited Data on Your Verizon iPhone
- Free iPhone Data Recovery Software
- Find Blocked Numbers on iPhone
- Sync Thunderbird with iPhone
- Update iPhone with/without iTunes
- Turn off find my iPhone when phone is broken