Best Guide to Convert JPG to HEIC 2023
Both JPG and HEIC are important file formats that allow you to store high-quality images. The JPG format was created in 1992, whereas the HEIC format was introduced in 2001 and popularized in 2017 by Apple.
Although JPG has been widely used for a long time, it takes up a lot of space. This is why Apple decided to focus on HEIC, as it compresses the size of images with even better quality. However, JPG is considered to be the global standard.
If you are interested in JPG HEIC conversion, we have just prepared the ultimate guide. Read on to learn more about converting JPG files to HEIC.
Details about JPG Format and HEIC Format
The JPG format is the most used file format out there. It is a lossy compression method used for digital photography. As the degree of compression is adjustable, you can expect a tradeoff between image quality and storage size.
On the other hand, the HEIC format is a container format that stores digital images on Apple devices. It even supports transparency, such as GIF files, and can store multiple pictures in a single file. Besides, it takes up around half the size of a JPG.
Differences between JPG and HEIC
A detailed table will help you differentiate between JPG and HEIC formats.
|Full Name||Joint Photographic Experts Group||High-Efficiency Image Container|
|Quality||JPG provides excellent quality, but HEIC stands out||HEIC boasts higher quality than JPG|
|Compatibility||Apple Preview, Apple Photos, and iOS Photos (iOS 11 and later)||Compatible with every operating system and devices|
|Size||Takes up 8 megabytes to store high-quality images||Takes up only 4 megabytes for storing high-quality images|
Which One Is Better?
If you are figuring out which is the better format, it is essential to understand that it depends on your requirements.
Even though the HEIC format takes up less storage and provides quality results, it is not widely accepted. On the other hand, the JPF format is compatible with just about every software and device.
However, if you are an Apple user, consider JPG-HEIC conversion, as it helps reduce the file size. This means that you can store more digital images. Besides, the HEIC format is smooth and perfect for other digital files such as Gifs.
5 Easy Tools to Convert JPG to HEIC
For those of you who want to convert JPG to HEIC, you can use any of the following tools.
- Preview (Mac)
One of the best tools that you can use for JPG HEIC conversion is Preview. It allows you to convert the format files into just about every format, including JPG, PNG, and PDF. If you want to convert JPG to HEIC to reduce the image size, you have to try it.
However, it would help if you had a Mac to use the Preview app. Unfortunately, you cannot use it on any other device.
Here's how you can use it.
- Open the Preview app on your Mac and open the desired file.
- Then, click on File > Export.
- Now, you must go through the format pop-up menu and select HEIC.
- Additional options should appear, allowing you to adjust the image quality and other features.
- Lastly, you must type the new name and store the HEIC file on your Mac.
- The Preview app is free.
- There are no ads for you to stress about.
- It provides numerous features.
- Can be difficult to use.
- Only allows access on a Mac.
The following JPG HEIC conversion tool you might want to try is Conversion-Tool. It is an online tool that allows you to convert all types of files, including JPGs. To convert to HEIC, you need to do the following.
- Select the document file which must be converted from JPG to HEIC.
- Click Start conversion to proceed with the conversion process.
- Lastly, you have to download the HEIC file to your device.
- Conversion-Tool allows you to convert JPG files to HEIC quickly.
- Provides many conversion options.
- Conversion-Tool is not user-friendly.
Another great tool that you can use for JPG HEIC conversion is Convertio. It offers quick results and will enable you to store all your images in HEIC format. Besides, it is easier to navigate. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- The first thing you need to do is upload the JPG file you want to convert to HEIC by selecting the file from your device. Otherwise, you also have the option to drag and drop the file.
- Next, you have to select the desired file format, HEIC. Convertio supports over 200 formats.
- Once the JPG HEIC conversion is complete, you need to download the file.
- Convertio is a straightforward tool.
- Offers various options.
- Can be a bit slow at times.
In addition to the above, you can use Xconvert to convert files from JPG to HEIC. It is an excellent online converter that converts multiple files at once. In addition, it lets you select the quality or file size to provide the best results.
The following steps will allow you to convert JPG HEIC.
- Select the JPG file you want to convert and upload it.
- Choose compression if necessary.
- Then, you have to hit the Convert button to begin the conversion process.
- Once the file has been converted, you can download it.
- Xconvert offers compression capabilities.
- There are plenty of options for you to choose from.
- Can be complicated to use.
Aconvert is a notable option when trying to convert JPG to HEIC. It is a simple tool that provides the results that you are looking for. No matter what your requirements might be, it should help you out.
Besides, Aconvert even has an app you can use to convert files. It has been around since 2000 and has helped with millions of free conversions. Here's how you can use Aconvert.
- Click the Choose Files button to select the JPG file on your device that you want to convert to HEIC.
- Then, you need to set the target image format, image size, and image quality. Aconvert will take care of the rest.
- You must click on the Convert Now button to begin the JPG HEIC conversion process.
- Aconvert allows you to convert JPG files to HEIC quickly.
- It is an excellent tool if you want to save time.
- It would help if you remembered that ads are everywhere on the site.
Bonus Tips: Best HEIC Converter
HEIC Online Converter
If you want to save time and use the best HEIC online converter on the market, you must try Wondershare. The ultimate tool allows you to convert JPG files to HEIC in bulk. Remember to save time as it provides quick results.
Whether you have experience using a conversion tool, Wondershare HEIC Online Converter is super easy. It will enable you to convert all your JPG files in no time. What makes it incredibly popular is the fact that it has been designed with ease of use in mind.
Wondershare HEIC Online Converter ensures that the image's quality stays the same. This means that you can retain your JPG images' quality when converting them to HEIC. To convert files, you need to follow the steps below.
- Select the + Add Files button to choose the files you want to convert from JPG to HEIC, or drag and drop the files.
- Wondershare HEIC Converter will begin converting the files immediately.
- After the conversion has been completed, you can proceed to downloading the HEIC files.
The Bottom Line
The HEIC file format has a lot to offer. Apple devices, including the iPhone, iPad, and MacBook, readily accept it. However, you have various options if you want to convert JPG files to the HEIC format. Hence, it can take time to decide which tool to use.
To save time and get the best results, you will need to use Wondershare-HEIC Online Converter. It is a powerful tool that gets the job done. Besides, it even lets you take advantage of batch conversion. Once you try it, you will never want to use any other tool again.
- iPhone Managing Tips
- iPhone Contacts Tips
- iCloud Tips
- iPhone Message Tips
- Activate iPhone without SIM card
- Activate New iPhone AT&T
- Activate New iPhone Verizon
- How to Use iPhone Tips
- Other iPhone Tips
- Best iPhone Photo Printers
- Call Forwarding Apps for iPhone
- Security Apps for iPhone
- Things You Can Do with Your iPhone on the Plane
- Internet Explorer Alternatives for iPhone
- Find iPhone Wi-Fi Password
- Get Free Unlimited Data on Your Verizon iPhone
- Free iPhone Data Recovery Software
- Find Blocked Numbers on iPhone
- Sync Thunderbird with iPhone
- Update iPhone with/without iTunes
- Turn off find my iPhone when phone is broken