How to Use AirPlay Mirroring to Play Video/Audio on TV?
Apple has been instrumental in changing the way we use peripheral devices. For the ones who loving working with numerous devices in their homes, switching between multiple media devices can be a problem. While the consistent transfer of media files can tire any user, there is also the issue of compatibility. Therefore, Apple developed a function called 'AirPlay'. Ideally, AirPlay is a medium to use the existing home network to bring together all the Apple devices, or to link them to each other. This helps the user access media files across devices, without having to worry if the file is stored on that device locally or not. Streaming from one device to another helps you save yourself from storing copies on multiple devices and eventually saves space.
Basically, AirPlay functions over the wireless network, and therefore, it is necessary for all the devices that you wish to use to be connected using the same wireless network. While there is the available option of Bluetooth, it is certainly not recommended due to the issue of battery drain. Apple's Wireless Router, also termed as 'Apple Airport' can come in handy, but isn't mandatory to be put into use. One has the freedom to use any wireless router, as long as it serves the function. So, in the next section, we look how Apple AirPlay actually works.
- Part 1: How does AirPlay work?
- Part 2: What is AirPlay Mirroring?
- Part 3: How to Activate AirPlay Mirroring?
- Part 4: Top Rated AirPlay Apps from the iOS Store:
Irony is no one has been able to comprehensively deduct how the AirPlay system functions. This can be attributed to the tight control Apple has on its technology. Elements such as audio system have been reengineered, but that is just a single independent component, and doesn't explain the complete functionality. However, in the following section we can discuss a few components that offer us some understanding about how AirPlay works.
For the ones who enjoy streaming content on their iOS Device and MAC to the Apple TV, they can do it by mirroring. AirPlay Mirroring supports functionality on wireless networks and has support for zooming and device rotation. You can stream everything from web pages to videos and games through AirPlay Mirroring.
For the ones who are using MAC with OS X 10.9, there is the freedom to extend their desktop to the AirPlay Device (which is also termed as the second computer and mirrors whatever there is on your first screen).
Necessary Hardware and Software programs for using AirPlay Mirroring:
- • An Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) for receiving the video/audio
- • An iOS Device or Computer for sending the video/audio
- • iPhone 4s or later
- • iPad 2 or later
- • iPad mini or later
- • iPod touch (5th generation)
Mac (Mountain Lion or higher):
- • iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
- • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
- • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
- • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
The above images help you with the process to activate AirPlay Mirroring. For the ones who have an Apple TV in their network, please note that the AirPlay menu appears in the menu bar (that is the upper right corner of your display). All you need to do is click the Apple TV and the AirPlay Mirroring would start its functionality. One can also locate the corresponding options in 'System Preferences>Display'.
In the following section, we list a few apps that are helpful for iOS users while streaming data through AirPlay, and the apps that are instrumental in enhancing user experience.
1) Netflix: We are compiling the top 10 AirPlay apps and it is impossible to leave Netflix behind. The staggering amount of high quality content that has been compiled and developed by this streaming service is simply remarkable. For the ones who love their interface, this app may pose some shocks as the search isn't well customized, but one can traverse the extensive library using the basic 'search by name' feature.
Download it here
2) Jetpack Joyride: The classic one-button fly-and-dodge game has made it to our list due to amazing updates it has made to gaming interface ever since its debut on the iOS. Also, the Apple TV version is way better than the one on iOS. Having a good speaker can actually come in handy as the soundtrack of this game adds to its appeal. For the ones who aren't familiar with gaming, this serves as an ideal introduction to the domain of casual gaming. There are other features too that include power-up customization.
Download it here
3) YouTube: Isn't the name enough for you to download this app on your iOS device and stream through AirPlay. Loaded with so much video content that is impossible to estimate, this app has come a long way when it was introduced by one of the founders of Apple for the first generation Apple TV. Professionally curators now dominate this platform with self-made content and it has everything one needs, ranging from music to movies to news to TV shows. Also, let's not forget its advertising value.
Download it here
Geometry Wars 3 Dimensions Evolved: For the ones who are looking exploit the gaming potential of their new Apple TV, this one is a probable option. The electronic soundtrack and sparking 3D Vector graphics that parallel the ones found in PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and other MAC Versions, looks great while being used through AirPlay. The gaming app works on tvOS and iOS Devices, and through an additional purchase, one can cross-play, allowing storage over the cloud.
Download it here
As we studied above, AirPlay Mirroring when combined with the brilliance of AirPlay apps do offer an exciting experience to all the users. If you have been using the functionality of AirPlay Mirroring, let us know by it by stating your experience in the comments section.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- 1. Android Mirror
- Mirror Android to PC
- Mirror with Chromecast
- Mirror PC to TV
- Mirror Android to Android
- Apps to Mirror Android
- Play Android Games on PC
- Online Android Emulators
- Use iOS Emulator for Android
- Android Emulator for PC, Mac, Linux
- Screen Mirroring On Samsung Galaxy
- ChromeCast VS MiraCast
- Game Emulator for Windows Phone
- Android Emulator for Mac
- 2. AirPlay