How to Delete Photos on Mac?
Whether you are attempting to free up storage, deleting personal photos so that no one ever sees, battling duplicates, or whatever reasons, the main concern is how to delete photos from Mac? Well, there are numerous ways to do this, but all lead to the same goal. If you want to know how to delete photos from Photo library, then you have come to the right place.
Here, in this article, you will learn everything you need to know about deleting pictures, and recovering pictures you deleted accidentally on your Mac.
Part 1: How to Delete Photos on Mac?
Before you learn how you can delete photos on Mac, it is good to know the reasons why you should do it. In other words, what advantages you can have by deleted pictures on Mac. Plus, you will learn how to delete all photos from MacBook with its step-by-step guide.
Why Delete Photos from Mac?
When it comes to why you need to delete pictures from Mac, there are a lot of reasons. Here, we are going to mention all the possible reasons for this action:
- The first and foremost reason is to free up storage space on Mac. If you have lots of pictures that are taking up great storage space, then the best thing you can do is to get rid of them by simply deleting.
- Another reason is that you may want to delete pictures that have been badly corrupted. You can’t do anything about corrupted images. Again, in such cases, the best thing you can do is to delete image files that can’t be opened.
- There are some photos you have already backed them up in cloud storage space, such as DropBox, which means they are completely safe. You can access those files anytime. Considering this, there is no point of storing those backed up files on Mac.
- Last but not the least reason to delete pictures if you have some unwanted photos or you can say as junk files. Again, it is better to get rid of unnecessary pictures from your Mac, and this will even free the storage space.
How to Delete Photos from Mac?
Happily, deleting photos in Photos app on Mac is quite easy, and straightforward. You can delete either one or multiple pictures in Photos for Mac.
Here is a simple guide on how to delete photos from Mac:
Step 1: To start with, run the Photos app on your Mac.
Step 2: Here, you need to choose the picture(s) you wish to delete.
Step 3: After that, right-click on a picture or shift-click on multiple images and next, right-click, and tap “Delete” option. Or you can press the “Delete” button on your Keyboard after selecting the photos you want to delete.
Step 4: Next, you get the message to confirm your action, and so, tap on “Delete” option to confirm the deleting process for the choose photos to be deleted on your Mac.
Part 2: How to Find Photo Files on Mac?
Well, how to find photo files on Mac? In this part, you will get to know the easy ways to locate pictures on Mac, and where are pictures stored on Mac. So, let’s give a look at all these things in detail.
- Where Are Photos Stored on Mac?
The pictures in Mac are saved in the Photos App before you delete them. For this, you need to locate Photos, which you will find under Applications. Generally, Photos App serves as the Photo storage location in the Mac OS. However, the main role of Photos for Mac is managing the photos you copied from memory card, iPhone or any other imported media.
Well, if you still need to know the exact location where are the photos stored on Mac before they get deleted, then the location is “~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/". Use the “Go to Folder” command to access the location directly.
Do you want to access this location manually? If yes, then all you have to do is to follow the below simple steps:
Step 1: To begin with, go to “Finder” men on your Mac, and next, go to the “Home Directory”.
Step 2: Thereafter, go to the “Pictures” menu, and here have to find the “Photos Library.photoslibrary".
Step 3: Next, right-click on the “Photos Library.photoslibrary" or use the shortcut menu i.e. “Ctrl + Click” to choose the “Show Package Contents”.
Step 4: After that, move to the “Masters” folder to get access to the images files in the Photos App.
Step 5: Here, you will get to view the photo directories in a well-organized way within subfolders. You see them as per day, year or month.
Important Note: Never try to delete any item from the Master folder. If you attempt to do it, then you will have no way to get back those deleted items.
How to Find Recently Deleted Photos?
MacOS comes with a feature to help users to recover deleted photos on Mac. First, you need to figure out where is photo library on your Mac. Once you are able to get access to the location of pictures, you can easily locate the recently deleted photos.
The new option i.e. Recently Deleted Album added to the Mac OS is helpful to locate the recently deleted photos. Here are the steps on how you can do this:
Step 1: To begin with, find the “Photos” app. Then, locate “File” and, next, you will see the “Show Recently Deleted” option under File Options.
Step 2: Here, you can see all the files you deleted along with days left to recover them.
In the next section, we will show you how to back deleted photos from Recently Deleted Photos folder in detail.
Part 3: How to Recover Deleted Photos on Mac?
Sometimes, when you are trying to delete pictures from Mac in order to free up storage space, you end up deleting some important pictures by mistake. If this sounds you, then you might be want to know what to do to get back them. Well, you can easily recover recently deleted photos on Mac, and here is the guide on how to do it.
How to Recover Recently Deleted Photos
The first thing you can do to retrieve deleted pictures on Mac is taking advantage of Recently Deleted option in the Photos App.
Follow the below steps to accomplish this:
Step 1: Run the Photos App. Next, go to the Menu bar, and tap on File. Here, select the “Show Recently Deleted” option to open the Recently Deleted Album.
Step 2: Here, locate the pictures you want to get back and select those you want to recover.
Step 3: Once you have chosen the desired pictures, click on the Recover button to retrieve the pictures back to their original position.
That’s how you can restore deleted photos back on Mac from Recently Deleted Album. But, this method comes with a few limitations i.e. you can get back photos you deleted within 30 days from Recently Deleted Album. Plus, if your Mac does not have enough storage space, then pictures may even get deleted before the time expires.
In such cases, you need a better way to recover the deleted photos which provide you surety to help you in retrieving important files you deleted by mistake.
How to Undelete Photos on Mac
If you are unable to recover your desired pictures from Recently Deleted Album, then don’t panic as there are many reliable photo recovery tools available for Mac you can use.
1) Free Download Recoverit Photo Recovery for Mac
There is no doubt that it is pretty easy to delete all pictures on Mac. But, deleting important pictures accidentally can be frustrating too. In such a scenario, the best way to recover deleted photos on Mac is by using Recoverit Photo Recovery. This way is far better than recovering files through Recently Deleted Album in Photos App. Plus; this photo recovery is one of the ultimate tools to get back lost or deleted pictures within a few moments.
Here are its main features:
- Recover lost or deleted photos, audios, music, videos and movies in all formats effectively, safely and completely.
- Support deleted photo recovery from memory card, flash drive, SD card, Android cell phone, digital camera and camcorders.
- Recover pictures under different situations, like sudden deletion, formatting, hard drive corruption, virus attack, system crash, etc.
- Support to create a WinPE bootable media and recover inaccessible data from a crashed or unbootable system on Windows computers.
2) Guide on Mac Photo RecoveryWhen it comes to recovering deleted or lost pics using Mac Recoverit Photo recovery, it is quite simple, and easy. All you have to do is to follow the below guide on how to recover deleted photos:
Step 1: Choose a location:
To begin with, download the software on your computer, and install and run it. After that, choose a hard drive location where you think deleted photos. Next, click on the “Start” button. if pictures lost or deleted from an external hard drive, the connect drive to your Mac first.
Step 2: Scan the location
Now, the software will begin with “All-around-recovery” mode to look for lost or deleted pictures deeply into the selected location. Here, you have to wait for a few minutes to complete the scanning process.
Step 3: Recover photos
Next, the software will show you recovered photos in a well-organized manner. You can preview the files too, and then, select the desired one you want to get back. Finally, hit on “Recover” button to restore them back on Mac.
While you saving the recovered files on Mac, it is suggested that you should save them in a safe location, but not in its original location.
Hopefully, the guide helps you to perform how to delete pictures, and how to find photo files on Mac with ease. It is not as much as hard that you think to delete or locate pictures on Mac. Finally, if you ever want to get back files you deleted by mistake, the Recoverit Photo Recovery is always here to assist you in recovering lost or deleted files.
- Recover Photos from Camera
- Recover Photos from Canon Camera
- Recover Photos from GoPro
- Recover Photos from DJIDrone
- Recover Photo from Polaroid Camera
- Recover Photos from Nikon Camera
- Recover Photo from Kodak Camera
- Recover Photo from SD Card