Recycle Bin Corrupted? How to Fix and Recover Lost Data
Corrupted recycle bin is a complaint of many users and indeed it is an annoying issue. You become unable to find the files deleted from the File Explorer or you may not be able to empty the recycle bin. Also, a lot of times, you may get errors like “Access Denied” or “Corrupt Recycle Bin”. The users may face several problems when such happens. But have you ever tried to know why this happens? Or do you know you can fix it on your own? In this article, we are going to enlighten you on some tips through which you will be able to fix the problem on your own. So, if the recycle bin on D is corrupted or any other drive, read this article carefully.
Part 1: Why my Recycle Bin is corrupted?
Before we proceed, you should know that each drive contains a hidden folder called as $Recycle.bin which can be accessed when you use the Unhide option. And there may be various reasons for why you see the recycle bin is corrupted on C or any other Drive. Here is a list of some common causes.
- Firstly and most importantly, the biggest reason could be the serious malware attack. When there is an unknown virus attack on your system, issues like corrupted Recycle bin and other are natural to occur.
- If there is a power surge i.e. sudden increase in voltage, it may result in corruption of recycle bin.
- Also, if anything goes wrong with the OS installation, the problem may arise.
- Unexpected force close or incompatibility issues may also be responsible for the error.
Part 2: Fix corrupted Recycle Bin with CMD commands
The first thing to solve your issue is to use the command prompt. It can be the ideal way to use when recycle bin is corrupted Windows 10 or others. These commands will reset your recycle bin present one ach partition. Here are the steps to be followed.
- To start with, open the command prompt. For this, either right click on the Start menu or press “Windows + X” keys and choose “Command Prompt (Admin)”/”Windows Powershell (Admin)”.
- When the command window appears, type “rd /s /q D:\$Recycle.bin” in it and press Enter key.
Note: This command is for resetting the recycle folder in D drive. If you want to do the same with more drives like C, E or F, you will have to do it separately for each partition. All you need is to replace the letter D with the drive’s letter.
Part 3: Repair Corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer also can help you to solve the problem. Using the unhide option and deleting it, it will create a fresh $Recycle.bin folder that is not corrupted. Let us know how.
- Go to the “Control Panel” from the Start menu. From there, choose “Appearance and Personalization”.
- Now, click on “Show hidden files and folders”.
- From the pop-up window, unmark the option “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)” followed by “OK”.
- Next, you need to open the system partition and look for the “$Recycle.bin” folder.
- Right click on it and choose “Delete”. Confirm the actions when asked.
- Choose “Do this for all current items” on the Delete File window and hit on “Yes”.
- Once the “$Recycle.bin” is removed, restart your PC. Now, check if you are successful in this method and the recycle bin is not corrupted anymore.
Part 4: Update Windows
Keeping an outdated version of Windows is never recommended. And probably this could be the reason why your recycle bin is corrupted. Therefore, following are the steps to check and update Windows if not. Have a look.
- In the first place, press “Windows + I” keys on your keyboard.
- Now, go to “Update & Security” and double click on it.
- From the left panel, choose “Windows Update”. Click on “Check for updates” and you will get to know if your Windows is updated or if there is a need to update it.
- Further the process by following the prompts.
Part 5: Use the System File Checker tool
The last way is System File Checker tool that is designed to repair corrupted files in the system. It searches for the corrupted file and work on its repairing. Here is how to use it when recycle bin is corrupted.
- Press “Windows + X” and choose “Command Prompt (Admin)”/”Windows Powershell (Admin)”.
- In the command window, type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter key.
- It will now scan the corrupted file and repair it.
Part 6: Files lost in Recycle Bin? What to Do?
You have learnt what to do when recycle bin is corrupted. But one more thing that you must be aware about is what to do when you aren’t able to locate the files from Recycle bin? What to do if an important file gets deleted from Recycle Bin? Well the answer is Recoverit – a professional data recovery tool allowing the users to retrieve lost data easily, no matter what the data loss situation is. It works equally well with Windows and Mac. Safety, reliability and quick performance are the major highlights of this tool. Moreover, one gets the privilege to preview their files before recovering it. Also, it has a great compatibility with file types and formats. Here is how to use this tool to recover lost files from Recycle bin.
How to Recover Files from Corrupted Recycle Bin
Step 1: Get Recoverit Downloaded
Firstly, download it on your computer. Install it right after that and launch the tool.
Step 2: Pick out the Location
From the next screen, begin the recovery by choosing the location. As you want to recover the files from Recycle bin, simply click on the “Recycle Bin” option. Hit on “Start” button right after that.
Step 3: Let the Files Scanned
Once you click Start, the program will begin to scan the files. Upon completion of the scanning, the files will be displayed on your computer. You can use selections and filtering to make the searching process faster.
Step 4: Preview and Recover
As Recoverit supports previewing option, you can preview the files now before recovery. Select the files you want to recover and hit on “Recover” button lastly.
Note: Please make sure you are not saving the recovered files in the same location from where it was deleted.