How to Find/Empty/Recover Recycle Bin Windows 7
A Recycle Bin in Windows 7 or in any other Windows version is basically a storage for removed or deleted files. It stores the deleted files and makes them temporarily deleted from the PC. When you have items in the Recycle Bin folder, they are still recoverable. Also, when you have to clean up the junk and make space in your PC, emptying Recycle Bin becomes a viable option. This whole article revolves around Recycle Bin in Windows 7. We have mentioned different ways to finding, showing, adding or emptying Recycle Bin. On a plus, we will introduce some effective ways on recovering files from Recycle Bin in Windows 7. So, brace yourself if Recycle Bin is missing in Windows 7 or you want to recover a file etc. and read this article carefully.
Part 1: 4 ways to Find Recycle Bin Windows 7
If you find Recycle Bin missing from your PC, please explore the four useful ways on how to find Recycle Bin in Windows 7 without getting dependent on anyone.
#Way 1: Find Recycle Bin in Windows 7 using File Explorer
The first way says to use the File Explorer for finding the Recycle Bin. Please read the following steps.
- Firstly, launch the File Explorer by pressing Windows and E keys. From the address bar, click on “>” and a drop-down menu will appear.
- You will now see all the desktop icons on the menu including Recycle Bin. You can access it now by selecting it.
- As an alternative way, type “Recycle Bin” in the address bar and press Enter. You will be able to find or open it now.
#Way 2: Find Recycle Bin in Windows 7 from Run Dialog Box
Run Dialog box is not hidden to anyone. And it is helpful in finding Recycle Bin in Windows 7 too. The steps are mentioned below.
- Open the Run dialog by pressing Windows and R key. You need to type “shell:desktop” and click “OK”.
- You will now be redirected to File Explorer window where you will find Desktop location. You can here find the Recycle Bin.
There is another command that you can type in the Run box i.e. “explorer.exe shell:RecycleBinFolder”. Hit “OK” and find Recycle Bin.
#Way 3: Find Recycle Bin by Adding the icon to the Desktop
Adding the Recycle Bin on the desktop can ease out the burden and then you will never have to find it again. So we would like to introduce this as the next way to find Recycle Bin. You will be able to easily access it when it is on the desktop. Here are the steps:
- Open “Settings” on Windows 7 and go to “Personalize”.
- Followed by this, hit on “Change desktop icons” from the left panel and check on “Recycle Bin” option.
- Press “Apply” and “OK”. The Recycle Bin will be on your desktop now.
#Way 4: Add Recycle Bin to the Start Menu
Here is the next way i.e. adding the Recycle Bin to Start Menu and then easily access it anytime. You need to follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Hit on Windows Start Menu Orb and simply enter or paste the location – %AppData%MicrosoftWindowsStart Menu
- Use Enter key and hit the “Programs” link.
- The Explorer will be launched and you are required to right click on the blank area. Hit on “New” and click “Shortcut”.
- Now, you need to paste “explorer.exe shell:RecycleBinFolder” in the location box. Click “Next”.
- Enter a name like Recycle Bin and hit “Finish”.
- This is it, you have created the shortcut.
Part 2: 3 ways to empty Recycle Bin Windows 7
Want to bring some space on your system? Cleaning the Recycle Bin will work perfectly for this. Here are the three beneficial methods on how to empty Recycle Bin in Windows 7.
#Way 1: Empty Recycle Bin in Windows 7 from Desktop
If you are having the Recycle Bin on your desktop, you can directly fulfill the purpose from there. For this, you only have to follow the following 2 steps.
- Look for the icon on the desktop and right click on it.
- Now, from the options, choose “Empty Recycle Bin” and you’re done.
#Way 2: Empty Recycle Bin in Windows 7 using Disk Cleanup
Another way that can help you removing Recycle Bin folder in Windows 7 is using Disk Cleanup tool. The steps needed to be performed are mentioned below:
- To start with, you need to open the Disk Cleanup tool by pressing Windows key along with R. the run dialog box will appear.
- On the box, type “cleanmgr” and press Enter key.
- The system will begin to calculate the amount of used space. When it is done, the tool will open.
- Hit on “Clean up system files” button and look for “Recycle Bin” by scrolling down.
- On finding the option, put a tick on it and hit “OK”.
- Lastly, hit on “Delete Files” and finish the task.
#Way 3: Empty Recycle Bin folder in Windows 7 using File Explorer Ribbon
Here is the last method. Simply take help of File Explorer ribbon to get the task done. The steps are:
- Launch the Recycle Bin in the first place.
- Hit on “Recycle Bin Tools Manage” tab and hit on “Empty Recycle Bin” in the ribbon.
- Confirm the actions.
Part 3: 3 ways to recover deleted files in Recycle Bin Windows 7
It could be a great disappointment when you delete some file but want it later in urgency. If you’re going through same struggle, here are some ways on recovering deleted files from Recycle Bin folder in Windows 7. Have a look!
#Way 1: If Recycle Bin is not emptied
If luckily you haven’t emptied your Recycle Bin, you can easily restore the files that you threw in the bin days ago. For this, you have to go along with the following steps.
- Open the Recycle Bin by double-clicking the icon located on the desktop.
- You will notice all the files you have deleted so far.
- Look for the file that you need and click on “Restore” button.
- Confirm the actions and get the file from Recycle Bin folder in Windows 7.
#Way 2: If Recycle Bin is emptied
Well! The moment can be a little serious if your Recycle Bin is empty and you wish to acquire a deleted file. You must be wondering to recover deleted file from Recycle Bin folder in Windows 7 but fail to get any clue. Nonetheless, you shouldn’t lose hope as we have a one-stop solution for your problem. You can make use of Recoverit when you’ve accidentally emptied the Recycle Bin. It supports any data loss scenario with ease and is completely reliable to use. Here is how to use this tool to recover deleted files.
Step 1: Start Downloading and Installing Recoverit
As Recoverit comes with Windows and Mac versions, you need to choose the former version and start downloading it from the official website. Once done, install it and launch it to begin.
Step 2: Choose Recovery Mode
You will notice different recovery modes on the main interface. All you need is to choose the “Recycle Bin Recovery” to proceed for recovering files from Recycle Bin in Windows 7.
Step 3: Let the Bin Scanned
Now, Recoverit will begin to scan the Recycle Bin. When the scanning gets completed, you will be able to get the files from the left panel by applying filters.
Step 4: Preview and Recover
You can now preview the selected files after scanning. Once previewed, choose the files you want to recover and click on “Recover”.
#Way 3: Using Commands if Recycle Bin is emptied
The commands can also help you in case your Recycle Bin is emptied and you want deleted files back. Please look at the steps carefully and follow them to retrieve files from Recycle Bin folder in Windows 7.
- Start with booting up your Windows computer and press the “F8” key while it is booting. Choose “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”.
- On the command prompt window now, type “cd $Recycle.Bin” (don’t use quotes). Press Enter key.
- Now, type “cd” followed by pressing the Tab key. The directory name will appear after this. Hit Enter.
- Next, type “dir/a” and press enter to display the files. Followed by this, “copy [file name] [file location]” and press Enter.
- Now, type “cd../..” > “dir” > “ren [file name].
Note: Don’t forget to press enter after each command.