How to View iPhone HEIC Photos on Windows PC
With the release of iOS 14, Apple has also made a radical change in the image coding formats. Even though it has preserved the old JPEG format, iOS 14 extended its support to the new and advanced High Efficiency Image File (HEIF) format. Due to its lack of compatibility, many Windows users are finding it hard to view their photos. Thankfully, with the help of an HEIF file viewer, you can solve your problems. If you can’t open HEIF photos on your PC, then read this informative guide and get to know about an excellent HEIC viewer.
Part 1: What is an HEIC format?
The .HEIC and .HEIF image file formats are originally developed by Moving Picture Experts Group and supports the High Efficiency Video Codec technique. The encoding technique has been recently adopted by Apple as a part of iOS 14 update. It makes it easier for us to store high-quality images at almost half of the space that is taken by JPEG files.
In order to apply a file formatting standard, a significant change needs to be made in an operating system. Even though Apple has already made that change with iOS 14, the HEIC format still suffers from a lack of compatibility. For instance, old iOS devices, Android devices, Windows systems, etc. don’t support the HEIC file formats as of now. Therefore, users find it hard to view their HEIC photos on Windows without the assistance of an HEIC file viewer.
Part 2: Set up Automatic Transfer on iPhone
If you are finding it hard to view your original HEIC photos on Mac or PC, then don’t worry! There is an easy fix to it. Apple knows that the HEIC format has a limited compatibility. Therefore, it provides a seamless way to convert these photos to a compatible format (like JPEG) automatically while transferring them to Mac or Windows PC. By following this technique, you would be able to access your HEIC photos without any HEIC viewer. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- 1. Unlock your iOS device and go to its Settings > Camera.
- 2. Furthermore, tap on the “Formats” option to alter the HEIC settings.
- 3. From here, you can change the original format of your photos from HEIF to JPEG as well.
- 4. Also, under the “Transfer to Mac or PC” section, enable the option of “Automatic” and save your changes.
The Automatic feature will transfer your photos to Windows PC (or Mac) by converting the files into a compatible format. The “Keep Originals” option will preserve the original format of the HEIC files. It is recommended not to select the “Keep Originals” option, as you won’t be able to view HEIC files on your Windows system without an HEIC file viewer.
Part 3: How to view the HEIC photos on Windows using Dr.Fone?
If you have already saved your photos in the HEIC format, then you can simply take the assistance of Dr.Fone to convert them automatically. Simply use Dr.Fone - Phone Manager iOS) to move your photos from iPhone to Windows (or Mac) and vice-versa. Without downloading any third-party HEIC file viewer, you would be able to access your photos on your system. Since the application automatically converts HEIC file formats to a compatible version (JPEG), it will let you have a hassle-free experience.
Manage and Transfer iPhone Photos Conveniently
- Transfer, manage, export/import your music, photos, videos, contacts, SMS, Apps etc.
- Backup your music, photos, videos, contacts, SMS, Apps etc. to computer and restore them easily.
- Transfer music, photos, videos, contacts, messages, etc from one smartphone to another.
- Transfer media files between iOS devices and iTunes.
- Fully compatible with iOS 7, iOS 8, iOS 9, iOS 10, iOS 11，iOS12, iOS 13, iOS 14 and iPod.
1. Firstly, you need to download Dr.Fone on your Windows PC or Mac. You can either choose its freely available trial version or get its premium version to enjoy all the added benefits.
2. Install the application on your system and launch it. From the welcome screen, choose the option of "Phone Manager".
3. At the same time, connect your iOS device to the system using a lightning cable.
4. To convert and view the HEIC photos on Windows, go to Photos tab. Then select the photos and click Export to PC. This process will help you convert the HEIC photos into .jpg files, so you can view them on your PC.
By following this technique, you would be able to convert your HEIC photos and view them without using any third-party HEIC file viewer. Additionally, the tool will help you import, export, and manage iPhone photos, music, videos, contacts, messages etc.
Now when you know about the HEIC viewer and the new file extension, you can easily transfer your HEIF photos from your phone to Windows PC (or Mac) without any trouble. Simply take the assistance of Dr.Fone to automatically convert your photos to a compatible format. It has an easy to use interface and will provide reliable results in no time. If a friend or family member is also facing any kind of problem to view their HEIC photos, feel free to share this informative guide with them as well!
- iOS 11 Tips
- iOS 11 Troubleshootings
- Software Update Failed
- iPhone Verifying Update
- Software Update Server Couldn't Be Contacted
- iOS Data Recovery
- App Store Not Working on iOS 11
- iPhone Apps Stuck on Waiting
- iOS 11 Notes Crashing
- iPhone Won't Make Calls
- Notes Disappeard After iOS 11 Update
- iOS 11 HEIF