5 Solutions to AirPlay Mirroring without An Apple TV
“Can I use Airplay without Apple TV?”
This is a very common question that many Apple users have in their minds. Since you’re reading this article, I can assume that you must have the same problem. AirPlay mirroring is a wireless streaming service designed by Apple with which users can stream multimedia contents from iDevices and Mac to the Apple TV. This allows them to enjoy video games, movies, etc, on the comfort of a larger screen.
However Apple TV is quite expensive and many people can’t afford to buy it. However, rest assured that you can AirPlay without Apple TV as well, you can mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV.
Read on to find out how to mirror iPhone to TV or how to AirPlay without Apple TV. You can also learn more about smart home gadget with mobile app control to make your life more convinient.
- Part 1: How to Mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV via A Lightning Digital AV Adaptor
- Part 2: How to Mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV via AirBeamTV
- Part 3: AirPlay Mirroring iPhone/iPad to PC without Apple TV (Free)
- Part 4: AirPlay Mirroring without Apple TV via AirServer
- Part 5: AirPlay Mirroring without Apple TV via Raspberry Pi
Part 1: AirPlay Mirroring with Raspberry Pi
The simplest means by which to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV is through a lightning digital AV adaptor. However, in order to do this, you’ll first need to purchase the correct Lightning Digital AV Adapto. Furthermore, you’ll also need an HDMI cable.
How to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV using a Lightning Digital AV Adaptor:
- The Lightning Digital AV Adaptor needs to be hooked onto your iPhone’s lightning port, which is usually used to power your iPhone.
- One end of the HDMI cable needs to be attached to the AV Adaptor’s HDMI slot.
- The other end of the HDMI cable needs to be attached to the HDMI port on the back of your TV.
- The Lightning Digital AV Adaptor comes with an additional slot so you can also charge your iPhone while connecting it to the TV, if you so wish.
- Turn on the television and surf through the HDMI channels, till you reach the one relating to the HDMI port you’re plugged into.
- Now simply play any video on your iPhone and you’ll find that you’ve successfully been able to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV!
You may like:
- Top 10 Best AirPlay Speakers of 2017
- Roku VS AirPlay, Everything You Would Like to Know
Part 2: How to Mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV via AirBeamTV
The previously mentioned technique is a simple and common means by which to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV. However, it can weight pretty heavy on the pockets as you have to purchase a Lightning Adaptor and an HDMI cable. Plus there’s the inconvenience of being limited by the length of your cables.
A good means of bypassing all that trouble is to use an app called AirBeam TV. This is an app which can connect your Mac to various Smart TVs out there. However, this is only applicable for certain TVs so you should first be careful about the compatibility.
- AirPlay without Apple TV.
- No cables required.
- You can choose your own network quality.
- Watch movies and play games on a big screen without the hassle of wires.
Supported Brands and download links:
The app can be downloaded for the supporting brands for $9.99, which is a lot more reasonable than getting the cables. However, before you purchase the apps, you should first check out the Free Trial to make sure that the app works with your TV.
How to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV via AirBeamTV (For Samsung):
- Turn on the Samsung TV connected to the same WiFi network as your iDevice.
- Click on the Menu bar icon to start.
- Once the TV appears in the ‘Devices’ tab, you can select it.
- You’ll find that your iDevice screen has been mirrored to the TV!
You May Like: Is It Possible To Use Miracast With iPhone? >>
Part 3: AirPlay Mirroring iPhone/iPad to PC without Apple TV (Free)
Both the previously mentioned steps are great in their own rights. However, one might find that they’re either too expensive, or in the case of the AirBeamTV app, that its compatibility issues are too confusing.
This methods takes care of both those issues. You can use a Free tool called Dr.Fone - iOS Screen Recorder. This is a completely free tool which can do several things, it can perform AirPlay mirroring without Apple TV, without the use of any cables, and it is a one-stop solution. With this one tool you can mirror iPhone to PC without Apple TV and without any hassles! If that weren’t enough it primarily works as a recorder software so you can also record all your on-screen activities!
This might seem like it’s too good to be true. However, rest assured that Dr.Fone is a perfect reputable company that has been rolled out by Wondershare, a company that enjoys a sterling reputation in the World Market, having received critical acclaim from the likes of Forbes and Deloitte (twice!)
Free to mirror your iPhone/iPad/iPod to computer!
- Mirror your iOS device on your computer screen wirelessly for free.
- Record iPhone games, videos, and more on your PC.
- Wireless mirroring your iPhone for any situation, such as presentations, education, business, gaming. etc.
- AirPlay without AppleTV.
- Supports devices running iOS 7.1 to iOS 11.
- Contains both Windows and iOS versions (the iOS version is unavailable for iOS 11).
How to mirror iPhone to PC without Apple TV for free
Step 1: Download and run Dr.Fone. Once you download and launch Dr.Fone, you’ll find a menu screen with various options.
Step 2: Connect your computer and your device to the same WiFi. If you don’t have a stable WiFi connection, then connect them to the same local area network (LAN). Now click on ‘Screen Recorder’ in the menu.
Step 3: Mirror iPhone to PC without Apple TV.
- For iOS 7, 8, and 9: On your iPhone swipe up from the bottom to access the control center. Go to AirPlay > Dr.Fone, and then enable Mirroring.
- For iOS 10: Swipe up from the bottom for the control center. Go to AirPlay Mirroring > Dr.Fone.
That’s it! You’ve been able to perform AirPlay without Apple TV! Now, if you also want to be able to record your onscreen activities, then read on.
Step 4: Record iPhone screen.(Optional)
You’ll find two buttons at the bottom of the screen. The left button will start recording the screen, and the one next to it will enlarge the screen. You can again exit Full Screen by clicking that same button or pressing Esc on your keyboard. You can press the red circle again to stop recording. You’ll be immediately taken to the video output location.
You May Like: How to Mirror iPad/iPhone Screen to TV >>
Part 4: AirPlay Mirroring without Apple TV via AirServer
Another efficient and simple means by which to perform AirPlay mirroring without Apple TV is to use AirServer. It is a great screen mirroring software that can allow AirPlay mirroring even without Apple TV.
How to perform AirPlay mirroring with AirServer:
- Download AirServer. You can even download a free trial to see how you like it. After you download it, go ahead and install it into your Mac or Windows PC.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone screen. If an AirPlay receiver is in place, you’ll find an option for AirPlay.
- Simply go through the list of AirPlay receivers. Choose the one in which the AirServer is installed. Your devices will now be connected.
- Select the device and then toggle mirroring from OFF to ON. Once you switch ON mirroring, your device will appear on the computer with the AirServer. The name of the computer will appear on your iOS device as well.
- Now whatever you do on your iOS device will be mirrored to your computer!
Part 5: AirPlay Mirroring without Apple TV via Raspberry Pi
Another method by which to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV is to use the Raspberry Pi technique. Before you begin with this, fair warning, this method is really quite complex.
Things you need:
- A Raspberry Pi
- A Wi-Fi dongle or Ethernet cable
- A computer
- Keyboard and mouse (which can connect through USB)
- A Micro SD card (4GB or larger)
- TV or an HDMI screen
- HDMI cable
- Micro USB charger
How to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV:
Step 1: Download the Raspbian
Download the Raspbian image. Extract the image from the archive and plug in your Micro SD card to the computer. Format your SD card before proceeding. Write your Raspbian image to the SD card. You can use “Win32DiskImager” or “Nero” to do that. Once the program finishes writing the OS to the SD card, unplug it.
Step 2: Setting up the Pi
Now, you can simply plug your Micro SD card, keyboard, and mouse, Wi-Fi dongle or Ethernet cable, HDMI cable, and the Micro USB charger into the Pi. Once everything is connected, wait for the OS to load. Once it initiates, you can just login with “Pi” as username and “raspberry” as a default password. Post this, you might have to wait for a little for the configuration menu to appear. Now, expand the file system and go to the Advanced Option. Select memory split, and enter 256 before rebooting it. If you are using a Wi-Fi dongle, type “startx” to launch the desktop and then connect to your network. If it is not updated to its latest version, you have to do it manually. To do this, go to command prompt and enter these codes:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Wait for the update. Then reboot your Pi.
Step 3: Install the Software
Enter the following command:
sudo apt-get install libao-dev avahi-utils libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libva-dev youtube-dl
wget -O rplay-1.0.1-armhf.deb http://www.vmlite.com/rplay/rplay-1.0.1-armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i rplay-1.0.1-armhf.deb
Reboot the Pi again.
Step 4: Activate RPlay
Launch the desktop and open the web browser and type http://localhost:7100/admin. The username and password are “admin”. Scroll down to the end of the page and enter the license key. The license key is S1377T8072I7798N4133R.
Step 5: Mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV
Connect your device to rPlay. On your iDevice, go to AirPlay and select rPlay (raspberry). The mirroring will start and you can now enjoy AirPlay without Apple TV.
Hopefully you now know how to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV or how to AirPlay without Apple TV. As you can see, all the different methods have their pros and cons. For example, using the Lightning Adaptor can be simple but also expensive and cumbersome because you’re limited by the wires. AirBeamTV and AirServer are good wireless options, but you’ll have to purchase softwares for both of those, and AirBeamTV is quite confusing regarding its compatibility as well. The Raspberry Pi method is best left to the experts as it’s quite complicated, and there are far easier alternatives out there. Our personal recommendation is that you use Dr.Fone as it is reliable, simple to use, and free!
Whatever you decide, do let us know down in the comments section. We’d love to hear from you!