How to Fix iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID Won’t Work Quickly
“My iPhone 11 Pro Touch ID is not working anymore! I updated my phone and now it doesn’t recognize my fingerprint. How can I fix the iPhone 11 Pro fingerprint sensor not working issue?”
One of the readers asked this query about a malfunctioning Touch ID on iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) a while back. Recently launched, the flagship iPhone model is certainly equipped with tons of features. Though, any hardware or software issue with the device can cause issues like iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID failed or non-functioning. If you are also facing the same issue and would like to fix the iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) fingerprint sensor not working, then you are at the right place. The guide has listed several working solutions to fix it as well as remove Touch ID of iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) seamlessly.
Part 1: iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID not working? What happens?
Before we discuss ways to fix iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID not working issue, it is important to diagnose it. Ideally, one of the following reasons could have caused the Touch ID of your iOS device to malfunction.
- A physical or water damage to the Touch ID can make it harder for it to work properly.
- If you have updated your device to a beta or unstable firmware version
- The firmware update was halted in between.
- If you tried to jailbreak the device, but it went wrong
- A corrupt app can also make your iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID malfunction
- The device storage or Touch ID software can be corrupted
- The saved fingerprint has been overwritten
- The existing ID could be old and can’t match with your present fingerprint.
- There might be a scar on your fingertips or dust on the Touch ID.
- A clash between different apps, processes, or any other software-related issue.
Part 2: 7 Methods to fix iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID not Working
As you can see, there are different reasons for which an iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID doesn’t work on a device. Therefore, in order to fix this, you can consider trying either of these solutions.
2.1 Register Another Fingerprint
The easiest way to resolve an iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID failed situation is by simply adding another fingerprint. In case if the previous fingerprint was added a while back, then it can make the Touch ID harder to detect your finger. That is why it is recommended to add a new fingerprint to your phone in every 6 months.
- Unlock your device using its passcode and go to its Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. You would have to enter the passcode of your device again to access these settings.
- Now, tap on the “Add a Fingerprint” option and place your thumb or finger on the Touch ID sensor.
- Place your finger correctly and lift it over to complete the scan. Once the sensor has finished scanning, you will be notified. Tap on the “Continue” button and finish adding a new fingerprint to your device.
Apart from that, you can consider deleting the existing fingerprints from your device to avoid any confusion.
2.2 Turn off/on Touch ID on iPhone Unlock, iTunes & App Store, and Apple Pay
A lot of users take the assistance of biometrics (like Touch ID) for Apple Pay, iTunes purchases, and so on. Though, sometimes these features can clash with the native Touch ID function and cause it to malfunction. If your iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID doesn’t work even after adding a new fingerprint, then consider this solution.
- Unlock your iPhone and go to its Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. Just reenter the passcode of your iPhone to access these settings.
- Under the “Use Touch ID For” feature, make sure that the options for Apple Pay, iPhone Unlock, and iTunes & App Store are turned on. If not, simply switch them on.
- In case if they are already on, then disable them first, wait for a while, and turn it on back again.
2.3 Unlock iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID with a Tool (in an emergency)
If neither of the above-listed solutions can fix iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID not working, then you need to take some drastic steps. Ideally, you can choose to remove Touch ID of iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) using a reliable tool. I would recommend using Dr.Fone - Screen Unlock (iOS) as it is a professional tool that can remove all kinds of locks on an iOS device. This includes its passcode as well as the pre-set Touch ID without requiring any additional details. Just note that this will erase the existing data and saved settings on your device. Therefore, you can only consider to remove Touch ID of iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) as a last resort.
- Connect your locked iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) to the system and launch the Dr.Fone toolkit on it. From its home, visit the “Screen Unlock” module to remove Touch ID on iPhone.
- To proceed, simply opt for the “Unlock iOS Screen” feature from the offered list.
- Now, you can just boot your device in the DFU or the Recovery mode applying the correct key combinations. It would also be listed on the interface for your convenience. For instance, you can quick-press the Volume Up button, release it and quick-press the Volume Down key. While holding the Side key, connect it to the device to boot in the recovery mode.
- As soon as your device would enter the DFU or the Recovery mode, the application will detect it. Just verify the displayed device model and its compatible iOS version before clicking on the “Start” button.
- Wait for a while as the tool would download a compatible firmware version for the device. Once it is completed, the following screen will be displayed. Click on the “Unlock Now” button to remove Touch ID of iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max).
- The application will get rid of the Touch ID and the lock screen of the device in the next few minutes. In the end, it will be restarted in the normal mode with factory settings and no Touch ID lock.
2.4 Try Updating your Phone to the Latest iOS Version
If your device runs on an outdated, unsupported, or corrupt iOS version, then it can also cause iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) fingerprint sensor not working. To fix this, you can simply update your device’s iOS version by following these steps:
- Go to your device’s Settings > General > Software Update to view the latest stable iOS firmware available for your device.
- Tap on the “Download and Install” button to update your device to the latest firmware. Once the download is completed, the device would automatically be restarted with an updated iOS version.
- Alternatively, you can also use iTunes to update your iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max). Simply connect it to iTunes, go to its Summary, and click on the “Check for Update” button.
2.5 Make sure your Finger and Home button are dry
Needless to say, if either of your finger/thumb or the home button is wet, then it might not recognize your fingerprint. Simply use a dry cotton cloth or a piece of paper to remove any moisture from the Home button. Also, clean your finger and try to access the Touch ID again. Though, you should know that if your finger or thumb has a scar, then iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID might be failed to detect it altogether.
2.6 Make sure the finger touching gesture is correct
Kindly check the way you are trying to unlock your device via Touch ID. Most of the people use their thumb to unlock their device as the Touch ID is on the front. Ideally, the tip of the thumb/finger should touch the Home button without applying too much pressure. Don’t rub your fingertips on it multiple times. Simply tap on it once with the right area and unlock your device with the correct gesture.
2.7 Do not cover the Home button with anything
Often, it has been observed that the iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID not working issue arises due to a malfunctioning Home button. If you use a case or a protective screen, then it should not cover the Home button as it also acts as a Touch ID. Clean it thoroughly and make sure that the Home button is not covered by anything else (not even a plastic or glass cover). Also, the coating around it should not be thick so that you can easily apply the right gesture to unlock the device.
Part 3: 5 Situations iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID cannot Work Alone to Unlock it
Most of the times, a Touch ID is enough to unlock an iOS device. Though, there can be some exceptions to this as well. Here are some situations that would require you to enter your phone’s passcode apart from its Touch ID to be unlocked.
3.1 Device restarted just now
This is the most common case in which you need to enter the device’s passcode (besides its Touch ID) to unlock it. When the device restarts, the current power cycle resets and so is the Touch ID feature. Therefore, to access the device, its passcode would be necessary.
3.2 Fingerprint not recognized after 5 attempts
An iOS device ideally gives us 5 chances to unlock it. If the Touch ID is not able to recognize your fingerprint for 5 consecutive times, then the feature would be locked. Now, you need to use the passcode to unlock the device.
3.3 iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) left untouched for over 2 days
It might sound surprising, but if your iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) has not been used (unlocked) in over 2 days, then your device will automatically level-up its security. Now, a passcode would be needed to access the device.
3.4 First-time iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) use after fingerprint enrolled
If you have just registered a new fingerprint on the device and would like to unlock it for the first time, then only Touch ID access won’t be enough. Besides that, you need to enter the phone’s passcode as well.
3.5 Emergency SOS service activated
Last, but most importantly, if the emergency SOS service on the device has been activated, then its security is automatically enhanced. A Touch ID would not solely work to unlock the device and a password access would be needed.
I’m sure that after reading this guide, you would be able to fix the iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max) Touch ID not working issue. If the simple solutions won’t yield the expected results, then you can consider to remove Touch ID of iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max). Since Apple doesn’t allow us to remove a lock screen without resetting the device, it will end up deleting its existing content. To do this, you can take the assistance of Dr.Fone - Screen Unlock (iOS), which is an exceptional tool and will help you remove your phone’s lock seamlessly.
You Might Also Like
- iPhone Lock Screen
- Erase iPhone When It's Locked
- Reset iPad without Password
- Unlock Disabled iPhone without iTunes
- Bypass iPhone Passcode
- Factory Reset iPhone Without Passcode
- Reset iPhone Passcode
- iPhone Is Disabled
- Unlock iPhone Without Restore
- Unlock iPad Passcode
- Get Into Locked iPhone
- Unlock iPhone 5 Passcode without iTunes
- iPhone App Lock
- Locked out of iPad
- iPhone Lock Screen With Notifications
- Reset iPad Password
- Unlock iPhone Without Computer
- Unlock iPad Without Password
- iPad is Disabled
- Get Into A Locked Phone
- Reset Locked iPhone
- Unlock iPhone without Passcode
- Unlock iPhone Passcode
- Forgot iPad Screen Lock Password
- iPad Unlock Software