How to Restart iPhone XR/11 When frozen?
An iPhone XR/11 becomes unresponsive or frozen when a user runs too many apps simultaneously. A software issue may also cause it. If you are experiencing problems with the screen, you will want to restart the device. It can often resolve the issue and get your phone back to working correctly.
We have prepared the ultimate guide for you to help you learn how to unfreeze an iPhone 11. Read on to fix the issue.
Basic Ways to Restart iPhone XR/11
1. Normal Restart of iPhone XR
Follow the steps below to perform a normal restart on an iPhone XR.
- Press and hold the "Side" button (also known as the power button) and one of the volume buttons simultaneously.
- Continue holding both buttons until the power off slider appears on the screen.
- Move the power off slider to the right to turn off the device.
- Wait for a few seconds and then hold the "Side" button for the Apple logo on the screen. The device will then start up and boot back to the lock screen.
2. Normal Restart of iPhone 11
You must follow the steps below to perform a normal restart on an iPhone 11.
- Simultaneously press the volume down option and the "Side" button (sometimes referred to as the power button).
- Hold both buttons while waiting for the power off slider to display on the screen.
- To switch off the device, drag the power off slider to the right.
- After a little delay, press and hold the "Side" button once again until the Apple logo appears on display. The lock screen will then appear as the device starts up again.
3. Force Restart of iPhone XR/11
A force restart on an iPhone XR/11 will force the device to shut down and turn back on quickly. It can help to resolve issues such as unresponsiveness or freezing.
Follow the steps below to perform a force restart on an iPhone XR/11.
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Then, press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button (also known as the power button) until the Apple logo appears on the screen. This can take around 10-15 seconds.
What to Do If iPhone XR/11 is Still Frozen? Here are 7
1. Charge Your iPhone XR/11
If your iPhone XR or 11 is still frozen after trying a normal or force restart, one possible solution is to try charging the device. Sometimes, a low battery can cause a device to become unresponsive or freeze.
Here are the steps to charge your iPhone XR/11:
- Connect your iPhone to a power source using a lightning cable.
- Check that the cable is properly plugged into both the phone and the power source.
- Wait a few minutes to see if the charging process resolves the issue.
- If the device is frozen, try a different charging cable or adapter.
- Try charging the phone in another outlet or USB port.
It's also worth noting that if your iPhone's battery is in poor condition, it may be unable to hold a charge, which can cause freezing and other issues. In this case, you may need to have another iPhone's battery.
2. Update iOS Version
Another option that you should consider if you want to know how to unfreeze iPhone 11 is updating it. Sometimes, a new software update can resolve issues with freezing and unresponsiveness.
Here are the steps to update iOS on your iPhone XR/11.
- Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
- Tap "General" and then tap "Software Update."
- If an update is available, you'll be prompted to download and install it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
- It's important to note that a software update can take some time to download and install, so make sure your phone is connected to a power source and it's plugged in during the process.
3. Delete Faulty Apps
Want to know how to restart iPhone XR when frozen? It would help if you considered deleting faulty apps. An app can become corrupted or malfunction, causing the device to freeze or become unresponsive. Here are the steps to delete an app on your iPhone XR/11.
- Press and hold your target app icon until the icon starts to wiggle.
- Tap the "X" icon in the app icon's upper-left corner.
- Confirm the deletion by tapping "Delete."
Alternatively, if you are unable to access the home screen, you can also delete apps via iTunes on your computer:
- Connect your iPhone XR/11 to your computer using a lightning cable.
- Open iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Click on the "Apps" tab.
- Check the box of the apps you want to delete, then press the "Apply" button.
You can also delete all apps one by one and see which one causes the problem, and then keep the apps you need and delete the faulty ones.
4. Free Up More Storage
A device with low storage can become slow and unresponsive, leading to freezing.
Here are the steps to free up storage on your iPhone XR/11.
- Go to the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
- Tap "General" and then tap "iPhone Storage."
- Please review the list of apps and their storage usage. Identify large apps that you no longer use and delete them.
- Go to the "Photos" and "Messages" apps and delete unnecessary images, videos, and messages.
- Consider using iCloud or other cloud services to store your photos and videos.
- Turn off the "My Photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Library" if you use iCloud.
You can also use third-party apps to help you manage storage and delete unnecessary files.
5. Factory Reset iPhone XR/11
In addition to the above, consider a factory reset. A factory reset will erase your device's data, settings, and apps, restoring it to its original factory settings.
You have the steps to factory reset your iPhone XR/11.
- Go to "Settings" and tap "General."
- Tap "Reset" and then tap "Erase All Content and Settings."
- Enter your passcode and then confirm the reset by tapping "Erase iPhone" in the pop-up window.
It is important to note that a factory reset will erase all data, apps, and settings. This is why it is recommended to back up your iPhone XR/11 before doing this step.
If you have iCloud Backup enabled, your data will be saved in the cloud, otherwise, you can use iTunes on your computer to make a backup of your device.
6. Restore iPhone with iTunes
If you are still wondering how to unfreeze iPhone 11 after trying the above, you might want to restore iPhone with iTunes. A restore will erase all the data, settings, and apps from your device and reinstall the latest version of iOS.
Here are the steps to restore your iPhone XR/11 using iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a lightning cable.
- Open iTunes and select your iPhone.
- Click on the "Restore iPhone" button.
- Confirm the restore by clicking on the "Restore" button.
- Wait for the restore process to complete.
7. Dr.Fone-System Repair
To save time and avoid any hassle, you need to use Wondershare Dr.Fone-System Repair. It has been designed to assist iPhone users with all types of issues including iPhone freezing.
The following steps will allow you to unfreeze your iPhone 11.
- Install Dr.Fone on your PC and open the software. Select the "System Repair" option from the homepage.
- Select "iOS" as the type of device you want to repair.
- Select the "iOS Repair" option to repair system issues on your iPhone.
- From the list provided, select the specific issue that your device is facing, or if the issue is not listed, select "Repair Now" to proceed with the recovery process.
- Choose the "Standard Repair" option, which will repair your iOS device while keeping all data secure.
- Connect your iPhone XR/11 to your computer using a USB cable. Follow the on-screen instructions to get your device into Recovery Mode.
- The software will automatically detect your device in Recovery Mode and provide a list of available iOS firmware. Select one and click "Download" to start the process.
- The iOS firmware will be verified before being installed on your device to avoid any issues.
- Click on "Repair Now" to begin the iOS system recovery process. The progress will be displayed on the screen.
- Once the process is complete, the software will prompt you that the process is done. Click "Done" to finish.
The Bottom Line
A frozen iPhone can present unresponsiveness, slow performance, and difficulty accessing apps and services. Although you can unfreeze an iPhone 11, you should use Wondershare Dr.Fone-System Repair. It is a capable tool that can help fix common issues on your iPhone XR/11.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
iPhone 11 Series
- iPhone 11 Backup
- iPhone 11 Problems
- 1. iPhone 11 Frozen Screen
- 2. iPhone 11/12 Keeps Restarting
- 3. iPhone 11/12 No Sound
- 4. iPhone 11/12 Battery Draining Fast
- 5. iPhone 11/12 Black Screen Issue
- 6. iPhone 6/7/8/11/12 Is Not Charging
- 7. iPhone 7/11/12 Speaker Not Working
- 8. iPhone 7/11 No Sound on Phone Calls
- 9. iPhone XR/11/12 Won't Turn Off
- 11. iPhone 11 Touch Screen Not Working
- 12. iPhone 11 Stuck on Apple Logo
- 13. iPhone 11/12/13 that Won't Turn On
- iPhone 11 Recover
- iPhone 11 Unlock
- 1. Unlock iPhone 11/12
- 2. Unlock iPhone 11 Without Passcode
- 3. Bypass iPhone 11/12 Activation Lock
- 4. Get into iPhone 11 Without Passcode
- 5. Unlock iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- 6. iPhone 11 Touch ID Won’t Work
- iPhone 11 Tips