Let's Fix iPhone 6/7 Touch ID Not Working
Touch ID is a fantastic feature that allows users to unlock their iPhones without typing in a passcode each time. However, sometimes due to hardware issues or incorrect settings, Touch ID may stop working correctly. Do you need help with the Touch ID on your iPhone 6 or 7?
Fortunately, there are several ways to get your Touch ID back up and running again. We have listed all the possible solutions below, along with detailed explanations. So, even those who are not tech-savvy can understand them easily. So read through carefully and follow the steps until your Touch ID starts functioning again!
- What to Do Before Fixing your iPhone 6/7 Touch ID Not Working
- 8 Easy Ways to Fix iPhone 6/7 Touch ID Not Working
- Force Restart iPhone 6/7
- Remove the Touch ID and Reset a New One
- Update the iOS to the Latest Version
- Scan Your Fingerprint Correctly
- Restore Backup from iTunes
- Clean the Touch ID Sensor
- Get it Checked by an Apple Technician
- Replace the Touch ID Sensor
What to Do Before Fixing your iPhone 6/7 Touch ID Not Working
Before we begin fixing the iPhone 6 fingerprint not working, let's ensure that you have some basic requirements in check.
1. Check if your iPhone 6/7 has the latest version
The first step is to check if your phone has the latest version of iOS and is up-to-date. If not, then you should update it immediately. This can be done by going to 'Settings > General > Software Update' on your iPhone 6/7.
2. Check if iPhone 6/7 sensor and fingers are clean
It is essential to ensure that the Touch ID sensor and your finger are clean. If there is any dirt or moisture on either of them, it might cause the Touch ID to malfunction.
3. Check if your finger covers the sensor completely
When you place your finger on the Home button to unlock your device, ensure that your finger covers the Touch ID sensor completely. If it does not cover the sensor adequately, it might fail to recognize your fingerprint.
4. Check if the case or the screen protector covers the sensor
In some cases, a thick case or a screen protector may have been placed on your iPhone 6/7, which might be covering the Touch ID sensor. If that is the case, you should remove it to see if the Touch ID starts functioning again.
8 Easy Ways to Fix iPhone 6/7 Touch ID Not Working
Now that we have taken care of all these basics, we can move on to more specific troubleshooting steps to fix your iPhone 6/7 Touch ID issue. Let's begin!
1. Force Restart iPhone 6/7
If the Touch ID on your iPhone 6 or 7 stops working, try a force restart as the first solution. You can finish the method by pressing and holding down buttons for a while until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
For iPhone 6 force restart:
- Please hold the Power button and Home button for some seconds.
- Keep holding, and the Apple logo will appear.
For iPhone 7 force restart:
- Keep the Power button and Volume Down button pressed.
- You will see the Apple logo on the screen.
While this might help solve some temporary glitches, if the issue persists, you should move on to other solutions.
2. Remove the Touch ID and Reset a New One
If the force restart doesn't work, you should try removing the existing Touch ID from your iPhone and setting up a new one. To do this:
- Go to 'Settings > Touch ID & Passcode'
- And delete the existing fingerprints.
- After that, press 'Add a Fingerprint' to set up a new one.
Even though this is not a permanent solution, it might help to temporarily get your Touch ID working again.
3. Update the iOS to the Latest Version
If the above steps do not work, you should try updating your device's operating system (iOS) to the latest available version. You can proceed to 'Settings > General > Software Update' on your iPhone 6/7.
Updating the iOS often solves various software-related issues, so it could be just what you need to get your Touch ID working again.
4. Scan Your Fingerprint Correctly
Another common issue that can occur is when the Touch ID is not able to recognize your fingerprint correctly. This can be solved by making sure that you are scanning the fingerprint accurately and with enough pressure on the Home button.
You can also try scanning different parts of your finger or using another finger instead. If none of these solutions work, move on to the next step.
5. Restore Backup from iTunes
If nothing else works, the last resort is to restore your device from a backup you saved in iTunes. To do this:
- Connect your iPhone 6/7 to the computer and open iTunes.
- From there, click on 'Restore Backup.'
- And select the most recent one available.
- Once the restore is complete, try using Touch ID again, and it should start working correctly.
6. Clean the Touch ID Sensor
If you have tried all of the above solutions and still find that your iPhone 6/7 Touch ID is not working, it might indicate a hardware issue. In this case, you should clean the sensor using a soft cloth or cotton swab with some rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or moisture that could be causing problems.
7. Get it Checked by an Apple Technician
If the issue persists after trying all these solutions, you should take your device to an Apple store and get it checked by a technician. They will be able to diagnose what the problem is and help you fix it quickly.
8. Replace the Touch ID Sensor
If the technician cannot repair the Touch ID sensor, you may need to replace it. You can have a new sensor from an Apple store or online and install it yourself. Do this yourself if you have prior experience repairing iPhones, as it can be pretty tricky. It is best to get it done by a professional.
These are some ways to fix your iPhone 6/7 Touch ID not working issue. It is recommended that you try all the solutions one-by-one until you find one that works for you. If none seem to work, take your device to an Apple store and check it with a technician.
Bonus Tips: Try Dr.Fone-System Repair
If all the above solutions do not work, you can try using third-party software such as Wondershare Dr.Fone - System Repair (iOS). This powerful program is designed to help solve iOS-related issues such as iPhone 6 touch ID not working and much more.
All you need to do is connect your device, select the issue and then follow the on-screen instructions to fix it quickly and easily. This is a great option if none of the above solutions have worked for you.
Here's a step-by-step guide to help you with Dr.Fone-System Repair (iOS):
Step #1: Open Wondershare Dr.Fone-System Repair (iOS) on your PC, and go for the option "System Repair."
Step #2: For iOS issues, please get into the blue iOS part.
Step #3: Please click "iOS Repair" to fix Touch ID not working problem
Step #4: On this page, you can check if your problem is here, after that, you can continue by tapping "Repair Now."
Step #5: "Standard Repair" is a suitable option to fix Touch ID issue.
Step #6: Now, if you want to keep the process, recovery mode is the key part.
Step #7: Don't worry if you know nothing about recovery mode, we offer you the steps.
Step #8: Dr.Fone can check the recovery mode status, and entering recovery mode is an automatic process.
Step #9: When you turn to this screen, please download the right firmware.
Step #10: Here is the progress bar with the downloading screen.
Step #11: For the success, we will also verify if the firmware is compatible to your device.
Step #12: You can see the firmware package is the correct one for repairing the Touch ID issue. Let' start to repair.
Step #13: After a quick repair, your iPhone can work like before.
So if you're having trouble with iPhone touch ID not working, you should never miss Dr.Fone-System Repair.
If you're having trouble with your iPhone 7 Touch ID not working, these solutions should help you fix it quickly. If none of the solutions work, then it may be a hardware issue, and you'll need to get your device checked by an Apple technician.
Wondershare Dr.Fone - System Repair (iOS) is also a great option, as it can help solve any iOS-related issue you may be having. It is always best to try all solutions one by one before getting professional help. With these tips, your iPhone 6/7 Touch ID should be working correctly in no time.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
iPhone 7 to 8 Series
- iPhone 7 Problems
- 1. iPhone 7 Problems
- 2. Screen Record on iPhone 7
- 3. iPhone 6/7 Touch ID Not Working
- 4. Activate iPhone 7 Plus/7/SE(No SIM)
- 5. iPhone 6/7/8 Stuck On Apple Logo
- iPhone 7 Series Tips
- 1. Screen Mirroring iPhone 7/7 Plus
- 2. DFU Mode in Apple iPhone 7/7 Plus
- 3. Factory Reset iPhone 7/7 Plus
- iPhone 7 Transfer
- 1. Restore iCloud Backup to iPhone 7
- 2. Restore iTunes Backup to iPhone 7
- 3. Transfer from iPhone 7 to iPhone 8
- iPhone 7 Unlock
- iPhone 8 Problems
- 1. iPhone 6/7/8 Won't Turn On
- 2. iPhone 6/7/8 Black Screen
- 3. Siri Not Working On iPhone
- 4. Turn Off Find My iPhone
- iPhone 8 Series Tips
- 1. Delete Apps on iPhone 8
- 2. Enter & Exit DFU Mode On iPhone 8
- 3. Screen Mirror on iPhone 8/8 Plus
- 4. Screen Record on iPhone 8/8 Plus
- 5. Recover Deleted Message on iPhone 8
- 6. Sell iPhone 8/8 Plus
- 7. Hard/Soft/Factory Reset iPhone 8
- 8. iPhone 8 Tips and Tricks
- iPhone 8 Transfer
- 1. Transfer from iPhone 5S to iPhone 8
- 2. Transfer from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8
- 3. Back up iPhone 8
- 4. Back up Locked iPhone Data
- iPhone 8 Unlock