Recover deleted data from iOS devices, iTunes and iCloud backup files.
Meet iTunes Error 14 or iPhone Error 14 for iOS 12? Get it Fixed Easily Now!
"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (14)."
You might have received this iTunes error 14 message while trying to restore or upgrade your iOS to iOS 12.3 device using iTunes. If you encountered this problem, you're probably tearing your hair, wondering just what you can do to get your iPhone working properly again. The panic is understandable, the iPhone of iOS 12.3 is an extremely costly product and as such we all expect the best from it. iTunes error 14 and other such glitches and bugs can be annoying, to say the least. However, they're really not such a big deal. In fact, if you read this article in entirety you'll be armed with not one, not two, but several different methods by which to fix iTunes error 14.
- Part 1: What is iPhone Error 14 (iTunes error 14)?
- Part 2: Fix iTunes Error 14 by checking the USB cables and connectors
- Part 3: Fix iPhone error 14 or iTunes error 14 without data loss (recommended)
- Part 4: Fix iTunes Error 14 with an iTunes Repair tool
- Part 5: Fix iTunes error 14 by updating iTunes and the operating system
- Part 6: Fix iPhone error 14 with a hard reset
- Part 7: Fix iPhone error 14 issue by making use of the warranty
- Part 8: Fix iTunes error 14 issue by deleting/moving a corrupted IPSW file
iPhone error 14 is an error you encounter while trying to restore or upgrade your iOS to iOS 12.3 device via iTunes, as such it is also known as iTunes error 14. It can be caused by a number of different causes, some of which are listed below:
- Due to a bad USB cable.
- Due to an error with firmware upgrade.
- Due to a lack of capacity in the iPhone.
- Due to an unstable network connectivity.
- Due to an outdated iTunes.
Before you try out any software-related solutions, you should check to see that all your USB connections are working well, because sometimes the iTunes error 14 may appear as a result of a poor connection. A faulty connection may also result in iPhone error 9. This can be easily checked:
- Use an original Apple USB cable.
- Try switching the USB port and use another one.
- Try using the cable in another device.
After doing all of this if iTunes error 14 persists, then you can try out the next methods.
This is an all-in-one type of solution to all software-related problems which may be leading to iPhone error 14. As you have already read, iTunes error 14 may happen for a number of reasons. In order to diagnose the exact cause of the error, you would have to try various different methods individually. That would prove to be a massive waste of time and energy, not to mention some of those methods may very well lead to complete data loss.
As such, we highly recommend that you use dr.fone — iOS Repair. because it will scan your entire iPhone for problems, and whatever the issue may be, it will fix it, and that too without any data loss. dr.fone is a completely trustworthy and reliable product that's been introduced by Wondershare, a company that has often be featured in the pages of international magazines like Forbes, and is loved and respected by millions of people around the world.
Fix iTunes error 14 without data loss!
- Get your iOS to work again, no data loss at all.
- Take care of iOS system issues like iPhone restarting, iOS stuck in recovery mode, stuck on white Apple logo, iPhone turns black-screened, looping on start, etc.
- Resolve more iPhone error and iTunes errors, such as iTunes error 3194, error 21, iTunes error 27,iTunes error 9, etc.
- All models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch supported.
- Latest iOS version supported.
How to fix iTunes error 14 (iOS 12.3) with dr.fone?
- Launch dr.fone after downloading it. Choose 'Repair' from the main menu.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using a lightning cable. Click on the first option "Standard Mode" to fix error 14 without losing phone data.
- dr.fone will detect your iPhone model, and then it will detect the latest firmware to download as well. Simply click on 'Start' then lay back and relax as this may take quite a while.
- Once the download is complete, dr.fone will immediately start scanning and repairing your device. After it's done, you'll receive the message "repair of the operating system is complete." The whole process takes about 10 minutes!
Tips: If you cannot fix iTunes error 14 after all these steps, high possibility is that your iTunes files are damaged. Go and repair your iTunes and try again.
As long as the problem lies in the software, this method will easily fix iTunes error 14.
When iTunes has some inner modules damaged, iTunes error 14 is a common error when you attempt to restore or update your iPhone or iPad. So, repairing iTunes is the most approriate option to fix iTunes error 14 and other iTunes errors in this situation.
Ultimate solution to diagnose and resolve iTunes errors
- Remove all iTunes errors like iTunes error 9, error 21, error 4013, error 4015, etc.
- Resolve all issues when you fail to connect or syn iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iTunes.
- Device data kept well while fixing iTunes issues.
- Repair iTunes to normal state within 2-3 min.
Here are the easy steps to help fix iTunes error 14:
- Install dr.fone - iTunes Repair on your computer. Launch it and select "Repair" from the main interface.
- Select "iTunes Repair" > "Repair iTunes Errors". Then the tool automatically checks and repairs iTunes components.
- If the error code 14 still pops up, click "Advanced Repair" for a more fundamental fix.
Note: If the iTunes error 14 persists after the advanced repair, try the "Repair iTunes Connection Issues" option to fix the connection issues.
iPhone error 14 is also known as iTunes error 14 because it only comes up when you're attempting to restore or upgrade an iPhone using iTunes. In this case, there might be two problems that may cause iPhone error 14: an outdated iTunes; and an outdated operating system.
All you have to do is go to the App Store, and then click on 'Updates.' You'll find all the latest software updates available here. If either your iTunes or your OS is outdated, you'll know. If you find that no new update is available, then move on to the next solution.
iTunes error 14 can also be fixed with the help of a hard reset. However, using this method will surely lead to data loss as it reverts your iPhone to factory settings. This is why you should create a backup before you attempt this. This is how it's done:
- Press both the Home and the Sleep button together for 10 seconds, until the screen goes blank and your iPhone restarts.
- Once you see the apple logo on your screen, release the buttons and wait for a while for it to go away.
- Your iPhone will automatically reset itself, and you'll just have to give your passcode.
- Check to see if your iPhone error 14 has been fixed, if not then read on for more.
All iPhones are under a 1-year warranty. As such, if you find that your iPhone has indeed turned into a glorified brick, and nothing you do is fixing it, then you can simply take your iPhone to the nearest Apple store and exchange the faulty iPhone for a new one.
However, even this process requires that you have a backup ready.
iTunes uses the IPSW file to restore or update devices. Hence, if your IPSW file is corrupted, then you won't be able to restore your iPhone and you'll get the iTunes error 14. In this case, you can delete the IPSW file, or rename it. But first, you need to find it.
- IPSW file location in Mac OS: iPhone~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
- IPSW file location in Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
- IPSW file location in Windows Vista, 7, and 8: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
What to do once I find the IPSW file?
- Close iTunes.
- Launch iTunes again.
- Delete the IPSW file. Go to System Drive > User > Your Username > App Data > Apple Com > iTunes > iPhone Software Updates.
- Restore or Upgrade your iPhone. This time iPhone error 14 shouldn't come again.
These are all the different methods by which iTunes error 14 can be fixed. However, as you can tell, solutions 4-7 are of a trial-and-error kind, which means that you'll have to try them all out one after the other to try and fix the problem. This is time-consuming and it would also lead to data loss.
This is why our recommendation is dr.fone as it's reliable and it can fix whatever problem exists in a single go. With dr.fone — Repair you can scan the entire device and fix any and every system issue in your iPhone.
Whatever your decision may be, do let us know down in the comments sections. And if you find another solution to iTunes error 14, do keep us posted!
- iPhone Error List
- iPhone Error 9
- iPhone Error 21
- iPhone Error 4013/4014
- iPhone Error 3014
- iPhone Error 4005
- iPhone Error 3194
- iPhone Error 1009
- iPhone Error 14
- iPhone Error 2009
- iPhone Error 29
- iPad Error 1671
- iPhone Error 27
- iTunes Error 23
- iTunes Error 39
- iTunes Error 50
- iPhone Error 53
- iPhone Error 9006
- iPhone Error 56
- iPhone Error 6
- iPhone Error 1
- iPhone Error 2001
- Error 54
- Error 3004
- Error 17
- Error 11
- Error 2005