7 Ways to Fix iPhone Error 4013 or iTunes Error 4013
“The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013).”
Have you ever received this message? Well, since you’re here reading this I’m going to assume that you have, which is why you want to find out more about it. Well, simply put, this is a common error with iOS devices, called iPhone Error 4013. Because this error generally occurs while trying to restore iPhone XS (Max) or any other iPhone model using iTunes, it is also nicknamed iTunes Error 4013.
So if you want to find out more about iPhone error 4013 or how to fix iTunes error 4013, then read on.
- What is iPhone Error 4013 (iTunes Error 4013)?
- Solution 1: Fix iPhone error 4013 or iTunes error 4013 without losing data
- Solution 2: Fix iTunes error 4013 by checking USB port & connector
- Solution 3: Fix iTunes error 4013 with an iTunes Repair tool
- Solution 4: Fix iPhone error 4013 by resetting all settings
- Solution 5: Fix iPhone error 4013 or iTunes error 4013 by clearing up space
- Solution 6: Fix iPhone error 4013 or iTunes 3014 via factory reset
- Solution 7: Fix iPhone error 4013 by entering DFU mode
- Solution 8: How to restore iPhone from backups without iTunes?
iTunes error 4013, also known as iPhone error 4013, is usually a hardware related issue. It is mostly caused by faulty USB cable or faulty USB port. In other words, the error is a connection error that implies there is communication issues between your iOS device and iTunes. The iPhone error 4013 prevents your iTunes from updating or restoring your iPhone XR, iPhone XS (Max), or any other iPhone model. However, this isn’t a serious problem. A few simple solutions should solve the issue. So read on to find out how to fix iPhone error 4013.
There are a lot of different solutions to iPhone error 4013 or iTunes error 4013, however the problem is that it’s hard to diagnose exactly where the issue lies, so most of the solutions work on a trial-and-error basis. That is, you try out something, and if it doesn’t work out, you try the next thing. This can be an extremely tiresome and long process, it doesn’t promise results, and it also runs the risk of serious data loss. However, if you’d like a one-touch solution, something that can immediately diagnose the problem and fix it without data loss, then you should use a third-party software called dr.fone - iOS Repair.
Fix iPhone error 4013 or iTunes error 4013 without data loss.
- Fix various iOS system issues stuck in recovery mode, white Apple logo, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Only fix your iOS to normal, no data loss at all.
- Fixes other iPhone error and iTunes errors, such as iTunes error 4013, error 14, iTunes error 27 and more.
- Works for all models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Fully compatible with the latest iOS version.
How to fix iPhone Error 4013 or iTunes 4013 without data loss on iOS 12.3?
- Download and launch dr.fone. From the main menu, choose ‘Repair’.
- Connect your device to the computer via a cable. dr.fone will show you two modes to fix iPhone error 4013. For data security, try the standard mode first.
- dr.fone will identify your iOS device and iOS version, and automatically detect the latest firmware. All you have to do is click on ‘Start.’ The download will take a while, depending on your internet connection.
- After the download, it will automatically start scanning your device for problems and fix it. You will soon get a message that “repair of the operating system is complete.” This means that your device has been fixed. The whole process shouldn’t take much longer than 10 minutes, and you won’t have to do anything yourself!
- This process should ensure that whatever the reason may be for iPhone error 4013, it will be fixed for good.
Tips: iTunes error 4013 unfortunately persists after these steps? Something must be wrong with iTunes. Go to repair your iTunes components and try again.
When iTunes error 4013 pops up, then it’s highly likely that the problem is hardware-related. So you should start with checking to see that all your USB ports and connectors are working fine. This is what you should do:
- Make sure you are using an Apple USB port.
- Use a different USB port.
- Try to plug into another PC.
If you try out all these methods and nothing works, then your USB connection is fine, and you should move to Solution 1 to fix iTunes error 4013 without losing data.
As we already mentioned, iPhone error 4013 is also called iTunes error 4013, this is because this error only comes when trying to restore iPhone XS (Max) or any other iPhone model using iTunes. It might be possible that your iTunes is corrupted or maybe your iTunes version is obsolete.
In this case you should get your iTunes repaired to normal state.
Easy solution to fix iTunes to normal state
- Fix all iTunes errors like iTunes error 9, error 21, error 4013, error 4015, etc.
- Fix all issues connecting or syncing iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iTunes.
- Keep device data intact while fixing iTunes issues.
- Fastest solution in the industry to repair iTunes to normal.
Follow the steps below to fix iTunes error 4013:
- Install and open dr.fone - iTunes Repair on your computer. Then select "Repair" from the main screen.
- In the new screen, select "iTunes Repair" > "Repair iTunes Errors". Then the tool will scan and verify whether iTunes components are complete.
- If the iTunes error 4013 still pops up after the verification, you need to opt for "Advanced Repair".
- If iTunes error 4013 still cannot be fixed, you need to connect your iOS device to the computer and select "Repair iTunes Connection Issues" to fix.
- Restart your iPhone XR, iPhone XS (Max), or any other iPhone model.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
This method also puts you at risk of data loss, so you should first backup iPhone data to iCloud or iTunes. Or to make all things easier, go to Solution 1 to fix iPhone error 4013 by keeping iPhone data intact.
Video tutorial: how to reset all settings on iOS 12.3 iPhone
The iPhone error 4013 occurs while updating the iOS. So the problem may arise if there isn’t enough space in your iPhone to accommodate a new update. So you should make sure there’s enough space, and if not, then clean up iPhone.
Video tutorial: how to clean up your iOS 12.3 iPhone
In order to fix iTunes error 3014 or iPhone 3014, you can also try to factory reset your iPhone. Below are the steps to fix iPhone error 4013 via factory reset.
- Firstly, back up your iPhone.
- Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset"
- Choose the "Erase All Content and Settings".
- Enter your passcode.
- Tap on "Erase iPhone"
Note: Factory resetting will bring you troubles like setting up iPhone again, restoring data from iTunes/iCloud, etc. To prevent these troubles, go to Solution 1 for system repair without data loss.
If none of the previous advices worked, you should be prepared to put your device into DFU mode. Take this option only as your last resort, as it is something that will surely work, but it will cost you all the data you have on your Apple device (including all the applications but the default ones, all pictures, videos etc.), as it will practically wipe our anything you have on your iPhone or iPad and restore it as new. So, how to put your iPhone XR, iPhone XS (Max), or any other iPhone model into DFU mode?
- Connect your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes.
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake Button and Home Button simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- After that, release the Sleep/Wake Button but continue to press the Home Button until iTunes says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
- Release the Home Button. Your iPhone's screen will be completely black. If it’s not, try the above steps again from the beginning.
- Restore your iPhone with iTunes.
You can also follow this Youtube video to DFU restore different iPhones.
And if none of these tips work, then you should contact Apple because it’s likely that your problem might be more internal and deepset.
How to restore iOS 12/12.3 iPhone from backups without iTunes?
If you meet iPhone error 4013 when you try to restore your iPhone from iTunes backups, then you can use dr.fone - Backup & Restore to restore iTunes backup to iPhone without iTunes. dr.fone enables you to restore iTunes backup to iPhone/iPad devices selectively and will not overwrite any existing data on your device.
Check how to restore iPhone from iTunes backup without iTunes here: Restore iTunes backup to iPhone selectively
Access and restore iTunes backup when iTunes is down
- Read and access the encrypted contents in iCloud/iTunes backups.
- Selectively backup, preview, and restore any data you want.
- Export what you want from the backup to your computer.
- No data loss on devices during the restore.
- Supported iPhone XS/XR/X/8/7/SE/6/6 Plus/6s/6s Plus/5s/5c/5/4/4s that run iOS 12/11/10
- Fully compatible with Windows 10 or Mac OS 10.8 to 10.14.
So you now know what is iPhone error 4013, and why it occurs. You also know all the different methods you can try to fix iPhone error 4013 yourself. Due to the uncertain nature of iPhone error 4013, it is hard to arrive at a strong diagnosis, which is why you would have to engage in a lot of trial-and-error methods, which would also put you at risk of data loss. However, we recommend that you use dr.fone - Repair, as it will scan your entire system and fix whatever problem is there, all without any data loss.
Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted down on the comments. If you find another solution to the problem, be sure to let us know!
- iPhone Error List
- iPhone Error 9
- iPhone Error 21
- iPhone Error 4013/4014
- iPhone Error 3014
- iPhone Error 4005
- iPhone Error 3194
- iPhone Error 1009
- iPhone Error 14
- iPhone Error 2009
- iPhone Error 29
- iPad Error 1671
- iPhone Error 27
- iTunes Error 23
- iTunes Error 39
- iTunes Error 50
- iPhone Error 53
- iPhone Error 9006
- iPhone Error 56
- iPhone Error 6
- iPhone Error 1
- iPhone Error 2001
- Error 54
- Error 3004
- Error 17
- Error 11
- Error 2005