iPhone Won't Turn On on iOS 14?－I Tried this Guide And Even I Was Surprised!
Your iPhone won't turn on and now you are worried about a fatal data loss.
A while back, I experienced the same issue when my iPhone won't turn on even after several attempts. To resolve this, I first studied why iPhone is charging but won't turn on and how to fix this. There could be a system issue with a corrupt iOS 14 update or even a hardware issue. Therefore, concerning its cause, you can follow a dedicated solution for iPhone not switching on. In this guide, you will find tried-and-tested solutions for this problem.
To begin with, let’s quickly compare some common solutions based on different parameters.
|Hard reset your iPhone||Third-party solution (Dr.Fone)||Restore your iPhone with iTunes||Restore iPhone to factory settings in DFU mode|
Works with all iPhone versions
Works with all iPhone versions
Compatibility issues depending on iOS version
Compatibility issues depending on iOS version
Free and simple solution
Easy to use and can resolve all the common iOS 14 issues without any data loss
Might not fix all the evident iOS 14 issues
Only free trial version is available
Existing data would be lost
Existing data would be lost
Part 1: Why won't my iPhone turn on?
Before you implement various techniques to switch on your iPhone, it is important to diagnose why does the iPhone 11/X/8/7/6 won't start. Ideally, there could be any hardware or software issues related to your device. If your phone has been physically damaged or has been dropped in water, then it might have a hardware-related issue. There could also be a problem with its charger or the lightning cable.
On the other hand, if your phone was functioning fine and has stopped working out of the blue, then there could be a firmware issue. If you have recently updated your phone, downloaded a new app, visited a suspicious website, tried to jailbreak your phone, or changed system settings, then a firmware issue could be the root cause. While software-related issues can easily be resolved, you need to visit an authorized Apple service center to fix its hardware.
Part 2: How to fix iOS 14 iPhone won't turn on issues?
After figuring out what could have caused the iPhone won't turn on, you can follow different approaches to fix it. For your convenience, we have listed different solutions.
- Solution 1: Charge your phone
- Solution 2: Hard reset the phone
- Solution 3: Use a third-party program (the most powerful)
- Solution 4: Restore with iTunes
- Solution 5: Restore to factory reset in DFU mode
- Solution 6: Contact Apple repair shop
Solution 1: Charge your iPhone
If you are lucky, then you would be able to fix the iPhone not opening by simply charging it. When our device runs on a low battery, it displays a prompt. You can simply connect it to a charger to ensure that the phone won't switch off. Whenever my iPhone won't turn on, this is the first thing that I check. Let your phone charge for a while and try to switch it on.
Charge your iPhone
If your phone still isn't charging, then there could be an issue with its battery or the lightning cable. Make sure that you are using an authentic and working cable. Check all the sockets and the adapter as well. Also, you should know the current battery health of your device to avoid such an unpleasant situation.
Solution 2: Force Reboot your iPhone
If your iPhone won't start even after charging it for a while, then you need to take some extra measures. To start with, you can just hard reset the device. To hard reset an iPhone, we have to forcefully reboot it. Since it breaks the ongoing power cycle, it resolves almost all the major issues. There are different ways to hard reset a device, depending on the generation of the iPhone.
For iPhone 8, 11, or later devise
- Quick-press the Volume Up button. That is, press it once and release it quickly.
- After releasing the Volume Up button, quick-press the Volume Down button.
- Great! Now, just long-press the Slider button. It is also known as the Power or the wake/sleep button. Keep pressing it for a few seconds.
- Release it once the Apple logo would appear.
Hard restart your iPhone x
For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Press and hold the Power (wake/sleep) button.
- While still pressing the Power button, hold the Volume Down button.
- Keep pressing both the buttons at the same time for another 10 seconds.
- Release them when the Apple logo would appear on the screen.
Hard restart your iPhone 7
For iPhone 6s or older devices
- Long press the Power (wake/sleep) button.
- Long press the Home button while still holding the Power button.
- Keep holding both the buttons together for another 10 seconds.
- Once the Apple logo would appear on the screen, let go of the buttons.
Hard restart your iPhone 6
Solution 3: Use a third-party software to fix iOS 14 system glitches
If you are not able to open your iPhone by forcefully restarting it, then you can also try Dr.Fone - System Repair. A part of the Dr.Fone toolkit, it can fix all the common issues related to an iOS 14 device. Extremely easy to use, it features a simple click-through process. Whenever my iPhone won't turn on, I always try Dr.Fone - System Repair, as the tool is known for its high success rate.
- Fix with various iOS 12.3 system issues like recovery mode, white Apple, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Repair a malfunctioning iOS 12.3 device without causing any data loss.
- Extremely easy to use and no need for any prior technical experience.
- Won't cause any unwanted harm to your device.
- Supports iPhone X/ 8 (Plus)/ iPhone 7(Plus)/ iPhone6s(Plus), iPhone SE and the latest iOS 13 fully!
Without having any prior technical experience, you can use Dr.Fone - System Repair (iOS) to fix all the evident issues related to your device. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Launch the Dr.Fone toolkit on your computer and select the “System Repair” module from its welcome screen.
Turn iPhone on with Dr.Fone - System Repair
- Connect your iPhone to the system using a lightning cable. Wait for a while as the device would be detected by the application. Select the “Standard Mode” option.
select Standard Mode
- The application will provide basic details related to the device, including the device model and system version. You can click on Start to download the recent firmware update which is compatible with your phone.
Dr.Fone will provide basic details related to the deviceIf your phone is connected but not detected by Dr.Fone, you need to put your device in the DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode. You can view the on-screen instructions to do the same. We have also provided stepwise instructions to put a device in DFU mode later in this guide.
put your iPhone in the DFU mode
- Wait for a while as the application will download the respective firmware update. To speed up the process, make sure you have a stable internet connection.
download recent firmware package
- As soon as the firmware update is downloaded, you will be notified. Click on the “Fix Now” button to resolve any issue related to your device.
start to fix the iOS device
- In no time, your device would be restarted in the normal mode. In the end, you will get the following prompt.
complete the repairing process
That’s it! After following these steps, you can easily switch your phone on. The application is compatible with all the leading iOS 14 devices and can also resolve iPhone X/8/7/6 won't turn on as well.
Solution 4: Restore your iOS 14 iPhone with iTunes
If you don’t want to use any third-party tool to fix your iPhone, then you can also try iTunes. By taking the assistance of iTunes, you can restore your device. Most likely, this will fix the iPhone won't turn on as well. The only drawback is that all the existing data on your device would be deleted. Therefore, you should only follow this approach if you already have taken a backup of your data beforehand.
- To restore your iPhone, connect it to your system and launch an updated version of iTunes.
- Select your iPhone from the devices icon and go to its Summary tab.
- Click on the “Restore iPhone” button.
- Confirm your choice and wait for a while as iTunes would restore your device.
Restore your iPhone with iTunes
Solution 5: Restore iOS 14 iPhone to factory settings in DFU mode (last resort)
If nothing else would work, then you can also consider this radical approach. By putting your device in the DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode, you can reset it to factory settings. This can be done by using iTunes. The solution will also update your device to a stable iOS 14 version. While the solution would most likely open iPhone 11/X/8/7/6, it comes with a catch. All the existing data on your device would be deleted. Therefore, you should only consider it as your last resort.
Before that, you need to understand how to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
For iPhone 6s and older generations
- Hold the Power (wake/sleep) button.
- While still holding the Power button, press the Home button as well. Keep pressing both of them for the next 8 seconds.
- Let go of the Power button while still pressing the Home button.
- Release the Home button once your phone enters the DFU mode.
put your iPhone 5/6/7 into DFU mode
For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Firstly, hold the Power (wake/sleep) button and the Volume Down button at the same time.
- Keep pressing both the buttons for the next 8 seconds.
- Afterward, release the Power button while still holding the Volume Down button.
- Let go of the Volume Down button once your phone enters the DFU mode.
For iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X
- To start with, press the Volume Up button and release it quickly.
- Now, quickly press the Volume Down button and release it.
- Keep holding the Slider (Power) button till the screen goes off (if it isn't already).
- Press the Volume Down button while still holding the Slider (Power button).
- Keep holding both the buttons for the next 5 seconds. After that, release the Slider (Power button) but keep holding the Volume Down button.
- Release the Volume Down button once your phone enters the DFU mode.
put your iPhone X into DFU mode
After learning how to put your phone in DFU mode, simply follow these steps:
- Launch an updated version of iTunes on your system and connect your phone to it.
- Using the right key combinations, you can put your phone in the DFU mode.
- In a while, iTunes will detect an issue with your device and display the following prompt.
- Confirm your choice and choose to restore your device.
Restore iPhone to factory settings
Solution 6: Contact Apple Genius Bar to repair the iOS 14 device
By following the above-mentioned solutions, you would be able to start iPhone if it's a software-related issue. Though, if there is a hardware problem with your phone or these solutions are not able to fix your device, then you can visit an Apple service center. I would recommend booking an appointment with the Apple Genius Bar nearby your location.
You can make an appointment at Apple Genius Bar online as well. In this way, you can get a dedicated assistance from a professional and fix all the prominent issues related to your device.
Part 3: Tips to avoid iOS 14 iPhone won't turn on Problems
Furthermore, you can follow these suggestions to avoid common iPhone problems.
- Avoid opening suspicious links or websites that can be insecure.
- Don’t download attachments from anonymous sources as it can lead to a malware attack on your device.
- Try to optimize the storage on your device. Make sure that there is enough free space on the phone.
- Only upgrade your device to a stable iOS 14 version. Avoid updating your device to beta versions.
- Take care of the battery health as well and only use an authentic cable (and adapter) to charge your device.
- Keep updating the installed apps so that your phone won't be affected by any corrupt application.
- Try not to jailbreak your device, until and unless it is necessary.
- Avoid launching too many apps at the same time. Clear the device memory as frequently as you can.
If your iPhone won't turn on, then you need to identify whether it is caused by a software or hardware issue. Later, you can go with a dedicated solution to fix the iPhone not turning on issue. Out of all the options, Dr.Fone - System Repair provides the most reliable solution. It can fix all the prominent issues related to your device and that too without any data loss. Keep the tool handy as it can be used during an emergency to fix your iPhone.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- iPhone Boot Issues
- iPhone Activation Error
- iPad Struck on Apple Logo
- Fix iPhone/iPad Flashing Apple Logo
- Fix White Screen of Death
- iPod Gets Stuck on Apple Logo
- Fix iPhone Black Screen
- Fix iPhone/iPad Red Screen
- Fix Blue Screen Error on iPad
- Fix iPhone Blue Screen
- iPhone Won't Turn on Past the Apple Logo
- iPhone Stuck on Apple Logo
- iPhone Boot Loop
- iPad Won't Turn On
- iPhone Keeps Restarting
- iPhone Won't Turn Off
- Fix iPhone Won't Turn On
- Fix iPhone Keeps Turning Off