6 Ways to Fix Messenger Video Call No Sound (Laptop and Mobile)
Messenger is a popular tool for laptops and mobile users to connect on a video call. However, one issue distracting many users is no sound on Facebook Messenger video calls. If you're experiencing this too, keep reading to learn all the tried and tested fixes. The issue can be solved by easy and very effective fixes discussed here.
Let's have a look!
- Part 1: Why There is No Sound in Facebook Messenger Video Call?
- Part 2: 6 Fixes for no Sound on Facebook Messenger Video Call
- 2.1 Force Restart Your Device
- 2.2 Make Sure That Messenger is Allowed to Use a Microphone
- 2.3 Update Facebook Messenger
- 2.4 Reset Messenger
- 2.5 Uninstall and Reinstall the App
- 2.6 Check for Bluetooth Device That Is Connected
Part 1: Why There is No Sound in Facebook Messenger Video Call?
Facebook Messenger has become a popular video calling and communicating tool as it offers competitive features. Many users state that the video is fine, but there is no sound while calling. The error can be due to an App, microphone, or firmware problem. You must rule out all the options to solve this problem. The possible reasons can be:
1.1 Check if Sound is Muted on the Device
The possible reason why your messenger video call has no sound can be due to a muted device. Everyone mutes their device for some reason, leading to no sound during messenger video calls. The "Sound option" is available in the maximum mobiles in the taskbar drop-down menu.
On devices like laptops, the "Sound option" in the volume control is located in one of the bottom corners. Accidentally turning on this mute option can mess up your messenger video call sound.
As soon you unmute the device, you will notice that your Facebook Messenger sound is back.
1.2 Check if the Sound is Muted on the Browser
Sometimes, the sound on the browser is muted, which results in no sound in Facebook messenger. As soon as you increase the sound of browser your Facebook Messenger sound will start functioning. To solve this issue, you can try two ways:
- Step 1: While you’re using your browser, right-click on "Volume Icon" on the bottom right corner of the desktop.
- Step 2: Click on "Open Volume Mixer."
- Step 3: You will notice the device and applications on the screen.
- Step 4: Now, find your Browser and drag the slider to the desired volume.
- Step 1: Open your Browser.
- Step 2: In the upper right corner of the browse, there are three dots, select them.
- Step 3: Select "Settings" and select "Privacy and Security."
- Step 4: Now click on "Site Settings" and scroll down to find "Content".
- Step 5: Under content open "Additional Content Settings".
- Step 6: Open "Sound".
- Step 7: Select "Sites can play sound", if it’s not selected.
From here you can turn on, off, and manage the sound of the websites.
1.3 Check if Sound is Muted on Facebook App
Sometimes a minor problem in settings can result in no sound in Facebook messenger video. One such reason is that the sound may be muted on your Facebook App. Whenever the video is playing, notice if there's an "x" symbol along with the Volume Option. Check the option and adjust the volume according to your choice. Now, check the Facebook Messenger App sound and whether it's working.
These reasons can be why there is no sound on Facebook Messenger video calls. These were the most common reasons for this error; even if you can't solve it by checking out these possibilities, here are more fixes. So, let's check them out.
Part 2: 5 Fixes for no Sound on Facebook Messenger Video Call
Here are some great fixes that can solve the problem of no sound during messenger video calling. The problem is very frustrating, but effortless fixes discussed here can help you with trouble-free calls. Let's have a look!
Method 1. Force Restart Your Device
Restarting your device and cutting the power between software and hardware solve minor glitches on any device. This process can solve the issue as there are many apps running in the background. Many of these processes can mess up with Messenger app. Also, restarting will refresh your phone's memory and solve the problem.
So, let's look at how you can force Restart on various devices.
For Android Users:
- Step 1: You can start with a standard method where you have to press and hold the "Power Button."
- Step 2: Hold it till you see options like shutdown and restart on the screen.
- Step 3: Select "Restart" and wait for the phone to restart automatically.
To force restart the Android device, you can:
- Select and don’t release the "Power button" for few seconds.
- Press and don’t release the "Power key" and "Volume Down key" for few seconds.
- Step 1: Press the "Power" and "Volume Up" and don’t release them for few seconds.
- Step 2: Try these combinations for various android phones to force restart the device.
For iPhone Users:
Force restart iPhone 8, X, 11, 12, 13, or later:
- Step 1: Press and quickly release the "Volume up" button.
- Step 2: Do same with "Volume Down" button and then press and hold the side button.
- Step 3: As soon as the Apple logo appears, release the button.
To Force Restart iPhone 7:
- Step 1: Press and hold the "Volume Down" button and the "Sleep/Wake up" button simultaneously.
- Step 2: Leave the buttons as soon as the Apple logo appears.
To Force Restart iPhone 6s or iPhone SE:
- Step 1: Press and hold the "Sleep/wake up "button and the "Home button" simultaneously.
- Step 2: Release the buttons as soon as the Apple logo appears.
To force restart the windows laptop, you can:
- Step 1: Press CTRL + Alt +Delete option.
- Step 2: A new menu or window appears.
- Step 3: Select between "Shut Down" and "Restart."
- You can locate the Power button of the laptop and press it until the device shuts down.
To force restart any mac, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Find out the "Power button" in your keypad of Mac
- Step 2: Hold it for around 10 seconds while the screen shuts down.
- Try commands "Control + Option + Command + Power." This keyboard command will shut down the Mac.
So, these were all the methods by which you can force restart your device in which you're using the Facebook messenger. In addition, the process will solve any hardware or software glitches to solve the no sound in a messenger video call.
Method 2. Make Sure That Messenger is Allowed to use a Microphone
There can be no voice on a messenger video call if certain permissions are off for Messenger App. One such important permission is "Microphone permission." If the permission is disabled for Messenger, there will be no sound during the call. So, as soon as you allow Messenger to use microphone ,your video call sound will return.
To allow Messenger to use a microphone. Try the following steps:
For Android Users:
- Step 1: Go to "Settings".
- Step 2: Tap on "Application" and then go to "Facebook Messenger".
- Step 3: Go for "Permissions" and "toggle on the Microphone option."
For iOS Users:
- Step 1: Go to "Settings"
- Step 2: Select "Privacy" and then hit the "Microphone" option.
- Step 3: Turn on the toggle of option "Messenger."
- Step 1: Press "Windows + I".
- Step 2: Go to the "Privacy" option.
- Step 3: Choose "Microphone" from the left menu.
- Step 4: Turn on the permission to "Messenger App to use the Microphone".
- Step 1: Choose the "Apple" menu.
- Step 2: Go for "System Preferences" and then click on "Security & Privacy".
- Step 3: Click on "Privacy".
- Step 4: Select "Microphone".
- Step 5: Select the tick box to allow various apps' microphone permission.
Method 3. Update Facebook Messenger
Ensure that you are using the latest version of the Messenger app. Outdated apps can sometimes have bugs that affect call quality. Update the app through your device's app store.
- For Android: Open the Google Play Store and search for Messenger. If there is an available update for Messenger, you will see an "Update" button next to the app icon. Tap on it to update Facebook Messenger.
- For iOS (iPhone and iPad): Open the App Store. In the top right corner of the App Store, tap on your profile icon. Scroll down to the "Available Updates" section. If there's an update available for Messenger, you'll see it listed here.
After updating, open Messenger and check if the sound issue during video calls has been resolved.
Method 4. Reset Messenger
Resetting the Messenger app can clear data and cache which hinders with Apps functions. Any problem like no sound in Facebook Messenger will be solved which can be due to cache files. It resets all the settings to default and sorts minor glitches in the Messenger.
To reset Messenger, try the following steps:
For Android Users:
- Step 1: Open "Settings".
- Step 2: Select "Apps and Notifications".
- Step 3: Tap on "Facebook Messenger".
- Step 4: Go for "Storage & Cache".
- Step 5: Clear "Cache and Data".
- Step 6: Restart your device to start fresh.
If you are an iPhone user, you can just reinstall the Messenger to clear all data on the Messenger.
Method 5. Uninstall and Reinstall the App
Sometimes you may have downloaded a corrupted Messenger app in the initial download. Or you just need a current updated version of the app. To solve both the issues uninstall and reinstall the Messenger. After you download non corrupted and latest version of App, sound will be back on the Messenger video call.
To do so;
- Step 1: Open "Google play store" and search and tap on Facebook Messenger.
- Step 2: Tap on "Uninstall App".
- Step 3: Now, tap on "Install" to reinstall it.
- Step 1: Select and hold the "Facebook Messenger App".
- Step 2: Tap on "Remove App".
- Step 3: Delete App, then tap "Delete" to confirm.
- Step 4: You can reinstall the App from the Apple store.
- Step 1: Go to "Control Panel".
- Step 2: Select "Programs" and then go to "Programs and Features".
- Step 3: Right-click the "Facebook Messenger App," select "Uninstall," and follow the direction on the screen.
Select the App till it jiggles, and then tap the delete (cross sign) on the App. It will immediately delete the Facebook Messenger App.
Method 6. Check for Bluetooth Device That Is Connected
Sometimes you forget that your device is connected to a Bluetooth headset or speaker which leads to no sound in the Facebook messenger of the original device. As soon as you disconnect this Bluetooth device from the device in which you’re using Messenger, your sound will be back in the original device.
To check this issue you can follow these steps:
- Step 1: Swipe to open the "Quick Access Menu bar".
- Step 2: Check if the "Bluetooth" icon is turned on.
- Step 3: Turn off the Bluetooth by tapping on the icon or long tap it to open advanced settings.
- Step 4: Check for possible connection with any external audio device, disconnect if there’s any.
- Step 1: Check the Bluetooth icon on the control center, if it’s highlighted it means it’s turned on.
- Step 2: Long press to check the connected devices.
- Step 3: Turn off the Bluetooth to disconnect it with any external audio device.
- Step 1: Launch Windows through the "Windows icon" on the left bottom screen or simply press the "Windows button" from the keyboard.
- Step 2: Select "Settings" and then open "Devices".
- Step 3: Now open "Bluetooth & other devices."
- Step 4: Check the status of Bluetooth from here.
- Step 1: Click on the "Bluetooth icon" on the "Control center or Menu bar" or select the Apple menu, move to "System Preferences" and click on "Bluetooth"
- Step 2: Click the switch to turn it off.
Bonus Tips: How to Record Messenger Video Call on Computer?
Recording Messenger video calls can be useful for various purposes, such as keeping a record of important conversations, capturing memorable moments with friends and family, or creating content for social media. wondershare Dr.Fone, a versatile software suite designed for managing and troubleshooting iOS and Android devices, also offers a screen recording feature for iOS and Android devices. In this guide, we will walk you through the steps to record Messenger video calls with Dr.Fone on computer.
- Step 1: Download and install Dr.Fone on your computer.
- Step 2: Click Screen Mirror on the left column. Then scan the QR code to install Dr.Fone Link, and connect your phone to Screen Mirror.
- Step 3: Now you can control your phone from PC, and record phone on your PC.
You can solve messenger call sound not working errors by trying these straightforward and effective fixes. But, frequently, some minor glitches mess up and cause this common issue. So, try them all to have a carefree video calling!
- iPhone Video Tips
- 1. Stream iPhone Video to Computer
- 2. Get Video off iPhone without Hassle
- 3. Perform Video Sharing Online
- 4. Email iPhone Videos/Photos
- 5. Photo/Video Compressor Apps
- 6. Video Calling Apps
- 7. Recover Deleted Videos from iPhone
- iPhone Video Record
- Put Video on iPhone
- Get Video from iPhone
- 1. Transfer Video from iPhone to Laptop
- 2. Send Large Size Video from iPhone
- 3. Transfer Video from iPhone to Mac
- 4. Transfer Video to External Drive
- Transfer Video to iPhone
- 1. Transfer Video from Mac to iPhone
- 2. Transfer Video from PC to iPhone
- 3. Transfer From PC to Camera Roll
- 4. Transfer Video from Laptop to iPhone
- 5. Send Long Videos on iPhone
- 6. Add Videos to iPhone
- 7. Transfer to iPhone without iTunes
- Video Problems
- 1. iOS Video Bug
- 2. No Sound on iPhone Video
- 3. Unblock YouTube Videos
- 4. Messenger Video Call No Sound
- 5. Facebook Video Chat Troubleshoot
- 6. YouTube Can't Work Over WiFi
- Video on Social Apps
- 1. Upload Video to Instagram from PC
- 2. Download Instagram Videos on PC
- 3. Hack Snap/Picture/Video/Password
- 4. Save YouTube Videos to Camera Roll
- 5. Save WeChat Video/Audio/Message
- 6. Back up WhatsApp Photos/Videos
- 7. Send Large Videos on Gmail
- 8. Send Large Videos on WhatsApp
- 9. Send Large Videos on Messenger
- 10. Save Snapchat Video
- 11. Download Private Instagram Video
- 12. Make Whatsapp Desktop Video Call