Top 6 Ways Fix iPhone Frozen in 10 Seconds
Your iPhone has been frozen and you have no idea what to do? Welcome to the club! Just like you, plenty of other iPhone users also suffer from a similar problem and can’t seem to fix their frozen iPhone. In order to learn how to fix a frozen iPhone, you need to understand its cause. There could be some software or hardware issue behind it. The good news is that most of the issues related to an unresponsive screen can be fixed. In this comprehensive guide, you will get tried-and-tested solutions to the iPhone frozen problem. Read on and learn how to unfreeze an iPhone right away!
- Part 1. What might cause the iPhone frozen problem?
- Part 2. How to fix iPhone frozen if caused by certain apps?
- Part 3. Hard reset iPhone to fix iPhone frozen (Basic solution)
- Part 4. Fix iPhone frozen with a professional tool (thorough & no data loss)
- Part 5. Updating iPhone to fix iPhone frozen frequently(For old iOS version users)
- Part 6. Restore iPhone to fix iPhone frozen in DFU Mode (last resort)
- Part 7. What if it's a hardware problem?
Part 1. What might cause the iPhone frozen problem?
Just like any other smartphone, there could be plenty of reasons behind the iPhone frozen issue as well. Here are some of its common causes:
- Not enough space on the device to support its functioning.
- A software update went wrong (or stopped in between).
- The phone has suffered from a malware attack.
- The jailbreak process is halted in between.
- An unstable or corrupted app.
- Too many apps running on the device simultaneously.
- Device running on an outdated software.
- The phone is stuck in the restart loop.
When an iPhone is frozen, its screen becomes unresponsive and it doesn't boot in an ideal way as well.
iPhone X screen unresponsive
These are some common software issues that can make your iPhone unresponsive. Besides that, any hardware damage can also make your iPhone screen frozen. Though, in this article, I will let you know how to fix a frozen iPhone resulted from a software-related issue.
Part 2. How to fix iPhone frozen if caused by certain apps?
Whenever my iPhone is frozen, this is the first thing I check. If your iPhone starts malfunctioning as soon as you launch a particular app, then chances are that there is some issue with that app. Therefore, you can follow these suggestions to resolve this issue.
2.1 Forcefully close the app
If your iPhone is still responsive, but the app is not loading, then you can follow this approach. To forcefully close any app, simply double-press the Home button to get the App Switcher. Afterward, just swipe-up the app that you wish to forcefully close. If you want, you can also close all the running apps as well.
Swipe-up the app screen on iPhone App Switcher
2.2 Update the malfunctioning app
Another way to fix the iPhone 7 frozen issue is by simply updating the corrupt app. The solution will also work with all the other leading iOS devices as well. Just go to the App Store and tap on the “Updates” option from the bottom tab.
This will display all the apps that can be updated. You can just tap on the “Update” button right beside the app you wish to fix. If you want, you can update all the apps by tapping on the “Update All” button as well.
Update the App which is causing iPhone frozen from App Store
2.3 Delete the app
If even after updating an app, it doesn’t seem to function properly, then you need to delete it altogether. To delete an app, simply hold the icon for a few seconds. The app icons will soon start wiggling. Now, just tap on the delete icon (red dash) and confirm your choice. The app (and its data) will automatically be deleted from your device.
Press App icon to delete the malfuncitoning iPhone App
2.4 Clear app data
Before you take any drastic measure, make sure that you have cleared the app’s data. If there is something wrong with an app, then it might fix this issue. To do this, go to your device’s Settings > General > Storage and select the app you wish to fix. Out of all the options, tap on “Clear App’s Cache” and confirm your choice. This will automatically delete the app’s cache data. Restart the app afterward to check if it fixed the iPhone frozen issues.
2.5 Reset all settings
If neither of these solutions would seem to work, then you can consider resetting your device as well. This will delete all the saved settings from your device, but will keep your data intact. In order to reset your device settings, go to its General > Reset option and tap on “Reset all Settings”. Confirm your choice by entering the passcode or through the Touch ID.
Part 3. Hard reset iPhone to fix iPhone frozen (Basic solution)
One of the easiest solutions to unfreeze an iPhone is by simply hard resetting it. In order to hard reset a device, we can restart it forcefully. Since it breaks the current power cycle of the device, it ends up fixing lots of evident issues with it. If you are lucky, you would be able to fix iPhone frozen this way without causing any evident harm to your device.
For iPhone 6s and older generation devices
If you use an iPhone 6s or an older generation device, then this technique might solve how to restart iPhone 6 when frozen. To do this, press and hold the Power (wake/sleep) and the Home button at the same time. Keep pressing both the buttons for the next 10 seconds. Let them go once your phone vibrates and the Apple logo would appear.
For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
The technique to forcefully restart an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus is a bit different. Instead of the Home button, you need to press the Power (wake/sleep) and the Volume Down button at the same time. Hold both the buttons for the next 10 seconds till your phone restarts.
For iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X
If you have the latest generation device, then you might find the process a bit complicated. After following these quick steps, you would be able to force-restart your iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X.
- Firstly, press the Volume Up button and release it quickly.
- Now, press the Volume Down button and release it as well.
- In the end, hold the Slide button (Power or wake/sleep button) for a few seconds. Release it as soon as the Apple logo would appear on the screen.
Steps to hard reset iPhone X to unfreeze it
Part 4. Fix iPhone frozen with a professional tool (thorough & no data loss)
If your iPhone frozen issue is not caused by certain Apps and the hard reset does not solve the issue, then Dr.Fone - System Repair is your best option to unfreeze your iPhone. A part of the Dr.Fone toolkit, it can resolve all the common issues related to an iOS device and that too without causing any data loss. Simply follow an easy click-through process and fix the iPhone screen frozen issue in no time. The tool is compatible with all the leading iOS devices and supports iOS 13 as well. From a black screen of death to a virus attack, it can fix all kinds of issues related to your iPhone.
Fix iPhone Frozen without data loss.
- Only unfreeze your iOS device. No data loss at all.
- Fix various iOS system issues stuck in recovery mode, white Apple logo, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Fixes other iPhone error and iTunes errors, such as iTunes error 4013, error 14, iTunes error 27,iTunes error 9 and more.
- Works for all models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Fully compatible with the latest iOS 13.
Unlike other drastic measures, the tool won’t cause any unwanted data loss. All your content would be preserved while fixing it. Additionally, your device will automatically be updated to the latest stable iOS version. In this way, you would be able to fix the iPhone frozen issue without facing unwanted trouble. To learn how to fix a frozen iPhone using Dr.Fone - System Repair, follow these steps:
Step 1. Download Dr.Fone - System Repair on your Mac or Windows PC by visiting its website. After launching it, select the “System Repair” option from its welcome screen.
Dr.Fone is the most efficient way to fix frozen iPhone
Step 2. Connect your iOS device to the system and select “Standard Mode” to continue.
Connect the frozen iPhone to computer
Step 3. The application will automatically detect your iPhone and list its basic details, inlcuding Device Model and System Version. From here, before clicking on the “Start” button.
Dr.Fone display iPhone model informationIf the device is not detected by Dr.Fone, you need to boot your device in the DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode. You can follow the on-screen instructions to do it. We have also explained how to put an iPhone in DFU mode later in this guide.
Step 4. Wait for a while as the application will download the latest firmware supported for your device. It might take a while to complete the download. Therefore, make sure you have a stable internet connection and that your phone is connected to the system.
Step 5. Once the firmware update is downloaded, you will be notified. To resolve the iPhone screen frozen issue, click on the “Fix Now” button.
The tool will fix all the prominent issues related to your device and restart it in the normal mode. In the end, you will get the following prompt. Now, you can safely remove your device and use it the way you like.
iPhone will restart to normal state
Video about fixing iPhone frozen with Dr.Fone step by step
Part 5. Updating iPhone to fix iPhone frozen frequently(For old iOS version users)
Sometimes, a corrupt or unstable iOS version can also cause unwanted problems related to your device. Thankfully, they can easily be fixed by updating your iPhone to a stable version. If you don’t want to use any third-party solution to fix your iPhone from freezing again, then you can also update iOS version. Though, your device needs to be responsive to make it work.
Also, to avoid any unexpected data loss during the iOS update process, we recommend using Dr.Fone – Backup & Restore (iOS) to take a complete backup of your device beforehand. In this way, you can easily update your phone without any unwanted hassle. Ideally, there are two ways to update your device.
5.1 Update via Settings
If your device is responsive as of now but seems to hang over and over again, then you can follow this approach. Simply unlock your device and go to its Settings > General > Software Update. From here, you can view the latest stable version of iOS available. Just tap on “Download and Install” to commence the OTA update.
5.2 Update via iTunes
To update your iPhone using iTunes, follow these steps:
- Launch an updated version of iTunes on your system and connect your iPhone to it.
- Select the device and go to its Summary tab.
- Click on the “Update” button. This will make iTunes automatically look for the latest stable iOS version.
- You will get a pop-up message about the latest available iOS version. Just click on “Download and Update” button to get things started.
Part 6. Restore iPhone to fix iPhone frozen in DFU Mode (last resort)
If none of the above-stated solutions would seem to work, then you can also put your phone in DFU mode (Device Firmware Update) and restore it. This solution might fix the iPhone frozen problem, but it will also delete all the existing data and saved settings from your iPhone. Since all your data would be wiped out permanently, you should only proceed with it after having a backup of your data (on iCloud or computer). To learn how to fix a frozen iPhone by putting it in DFU mode, follow these steps:
- To start with, launch an updated version of iTunes on your system and connect your phone to it.
- If you have an iPhone 6s or an older generation device, then hold the Power (wake/sleep) and the Home button at the same time. After holding them for 5 seconds, release the Power button while still holding the Home button.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, Volume Down and Power button should be pressed at the same time. Press them for 5 seconds and let go of the Power button while still holding the Volume Down button.
- For iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X, it can be a bit tricky. Firstly, press the Volume Up button and quickly let it go. After that, press the Volume Down button and let it go quickly. Hold the Power (Slider) button for a while until the screen goes off. While still holding the Power button, press the Volume Down button. Wait for 5 seconds and let go of the Power (Slider) button while still holding the Volume Down button.
- Once your phone enters the DFU mode, iTunes will automatically detect the problem. Simply agree to the prompt and choose to restore your device.
You May Be Interested: How to Recover iPhone Data Lost after Restoring to Factory Settings
Put iPhone in DFU mode and connect it to iTunes
Part 7. What if it's a hardware problem?
If you are lucky, then you would be able to fix the iPhone screen frozen issue by following the above-mentioned solutions. Though, if your phone has been dropped in water or has been damaged, then there could be a hardware-related issue with it. Sometimes, everyday wear and tear or a rough use of the device can also trigger a hardware problem. If that is the case, then you should visit a nearby Apple repairing center. You can find Apple service centers online as well to get a dedicated assistance.
After following this guide, you would certainly be able to fix the iPhone frozen screen on your device. These solutions will work on most of the iOS devices out there (iPhone 5, 6, 7, 8, X, and so on). The easiest and most reliable way to fix your iPhone is by using Dr.Fone - System Repair. Without having any prior technical knowledge, you can use this secure tool. It will fix all the prominent issues related to your iOS device without any data loss. Go ahead and download it on your Mac or Windows PC. It might end up saving your iPhone one day!
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- 1 iOS Frozen
- 1 Fix Frozen iPhone
- 2 Force Quit Frozen Apps
- 5 iPad Keeps Freezing
- 6 iPhone Keeps Freezing
- 7 iPhone Froze During Update
- 2 Recovery Mode
- 1 iPad iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 2 iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 3 iPhone in Recovery Mode
- 4 Recover Data From Recovery Mode
- 5 iPhone Recovery Mode
- 6 iPod Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 7 Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
- 8 Out of Recovery Mode
- 3 DFU Mode