Must-Know Tips About iPhone "Reset All Settings"
"I tried to make some purchases in Apple Store but I got the message, ‘Unable to Purchase. Please try again later.’ This always happens when I try to update or install apps. Apple Care said that I need to ‘Reset All Settings’. But what does this mean, what does ‘reset all settings’ do? Will it delete just my system settings or will it delete all my data as well?"
If you go online, you’ll find lots of chat threads with similar questions. Whenever a problem appears on an iPhone, be it the inability to make purchases, several iPhone or iTunes errors, such as iTunes error 27, iPhone stuck on Apple logo, or others, one of the first solutions that is often suggested is "Reset All Settings." But what does it mean exactly? What does it do?
Here in this article we’ll find out!
- Part 1: Everything you need to know about "Reset All Settings"
- Part 2: Some Tips to Know
- Part 3: Difference between "Reset All Settings", "Erase All Contents and Settings", and "Reset Network Settings"
- Part 4: Get More Help
What is "Reset All Settings"?
As the name suggests, choosing "reset all settings" will simply reset all the settings on your iPhone to their default settings.
Will I lose data?
Only the system settings will be reset. You will not lose any files, documents, data, or apps.
Do I need to backup before I "Reset All Settings"?
It is always advisable to keep a backup of your iPhone. However, in this case it is not necessary as it doesn’t lead to data loss.
How to "Reset All Settings" on iPhone?
- Go to General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
- You’ll be asked to enter your passcode.
Now you’re done! You’ve reset your iPhone!
You May Like:
- Unless you are selling or giving away your iPhone, you do not need to do a hard reset i.e. "Erase All Content and Settings". If you only want to rectify a glitch, the "Reset All Settings" is more than enough to solve your problems.
- As mentioned earlier, the "Reset All Settings" option doesn’t delete any of your apps or data, however it does reset all system settings to default. As such you might lose some of your preferred settings as well, so you should note all of them down somewhere.
- You should take note of your WiFi passwords and network configurations because Reset will lead to your iPhone forgetting your WiFi connection.
- The first thing you should do after the reset is to set your privacy settings again. This is crucial.
- While it will not erase any data stored in your iPhone, it is always a good practice to do a data backup, just in case you end up clicking the wrong button! You can backup regularly to iCloud or iTunes, or you can also backup to dr.fone - Backup & Restore (iOS) as it gives you the option to selectively backup only what you want to preserve.
Part 3: Difference between "Reset All Settings", "Erase All Contents and Settings", and "Reset Network Settings"
Reset All Settings: As mentioned above, this will only reset the settings, it won’t harm your data.
Erase All Contents And Settings: This will completely wipe clean your iOS device. It will reset everything, your data and settings. This is a Factory Reset option, and it’s usually used as a last resort when there’s a serious iOS error. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
Reset Network Settings: This will only reset all your network settings. This means all the WiFi passwords and usernames that have been saved in your iPhone will be forgotten. This is helpful to fix problematic network problems. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
"Reset All Settings" is generally used when certain iPhone errors occur in your iPhone, such as iPhone error 9, iPhone error 4013, etc. If you’re lucky, and if the errors isn’t serious this will get rid of it. However, sometimes "Reset All Settings" isn’t enough, in which case people often suggest going for "Erase All Contents and Settings." This option is extremely risky and time consuming as it leads to complete data loss.
An alternative which is as effective as "Erase All Contents and Settings" yet doesn’t lead to data loss is dr.fone - Repair. This is a reliable and very user-friendly tool introduced by Wondershare, a company with millions of rave reviews from users worldwide and vast acclaim from outlets like Forbes.
Fix iPhone white screen with no data loss!
To learn more about how to fix all your system errors without losing data, you can read this guide on dr.fone - Repair.
Hopefully you now know all there is to know about "Reset All Settings" and we’ve even given you other alternatives to solve system errors in case this option doesn’t work out. Having said that, do comment down below and let us know whether our solutions helped you. We’d love to hear from you!
- iPhone Reset
- 1.1 Reset iPhone without Apple ID
- 1.2 Reset Restrictions Password
- 1.3 Reset iPhone Password
- 1.4 Reset iPhone All Settings
- 1.5 Reset Network Settings
- 1.6 Reset Jailbroken iPhone
- 1.7 Reset Voicemail Password
- 1.8 Reset iPhone Battery
- 1.9 How to Reset iPhone 5s
- 1.10 How to Reset iPhone 5
- 1.11 How to Reset iPhone 5c
- 1.12 Restart iPhone without Buttons
- 1.13 Soft Reset iPhone
- iPhone Hard Reset
- iPhone Factory Reset