DFU Mode: How to Enter and Exit DFU Mode of iOS Device
DFU (Device Firmware Update) is an advanced state of recovery that people often put their iPhones into for a variety of reasons:
- You can put iPhone in DFU mode if your device is stuck while updating.
- You can put iPhone in DFU mode if an internal data is corrupted and the device is malfunctioning in a way that normal Recovery Mode isn't helping.
- You can put iPhone in DFU mode to jailbreak it.
- You can put iPhone in DFU mode to downgrade the iOS to a previous version.
However, as you'll find out DFU mode often leads to data loss as it returns your iOS to factory settings. Because of this people are often apprehensive about trying it out. If you don't want to lose your data, another alternative to putting your iPhone in DFU mode is to use a software called dr.fone - System Repair, but more on that later.
Read on to learn how to put iPhone in DFU mode.
- Part 1: How put iPhone in DFU mode
- Part 2: How to exit iPhone DFU mode
- Part 3: Alternative to putting iPhone in DFU mode (No Data Loss)
- Tips: How to selectively restore iPhone after exiting DFU mode
You can simply put iPhone in DFU mode using iTunes. This is recommended because iTunes also allows you to create a backup of your iPhone. It is recommended to backup your iPhone because putting iPhone in DFU mode may lead to data loss, as I already mentioned earlier.
How to enter DFU mode with iTunes
- Run iTunes.
- Connect iPhone to computer using a cable.
- Press power and home buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- Release the power button, but continue pressing the home button. Do this for another 10 seconds.
- You'll receive a pop-up message from iTunes, and you can let go them.
It's really that simple to put your iPhone in DFU mode!
Alternatively, you can also use a DFU tool to put your iPhone in DFU mode.
Sometimes it might so happen that your iPhone might get stuck in DFU mode. This means that the DFU mode couldn't restore your iPhone like you'd hoped and now you have to exit iPhone from DFU mode. You can do so by pressing both the power and the home buttons together for 10 seconds.
If you'd like a sure-shot and easy means of exiting iPhone from DFU mode, or of simply fixing your iPhone without DFU mode, and without data loss, then you can read on for the alternative.
You can use the software dr.fone - System Repair to either exit DFU mode, or to fix all the system errors of your iPhone without having to put iPhone in DFU mode to begin with. This is also a no data loss solution, which means that it won't reset your iPhone to factory settings. In addition to that, dr.fone offers a far more convenient, less time consuming, and reliable solution.
Fix iOS system issues without data loss!
- Simple, safe and reliable!
- Fix with various iOS system issues like recovery mode, white Apple logo, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Works for all models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Works for all iOS devices. Compatible with the latest iOS 13.
- Fully compatible with Windows 10 or Mac 10.14.
How to fix system errors without DFU mode using dr.fone:
- Launch dr.fone. Select 'System Repair'.
- You can select "Standard Mode" or "Advanced Mode" to continue.
- Connect your iOS device to computer and dr.fone will automatically detect your iOS device and the latest firmware. You can click on 'Start' now.
- After the download is complete, click on "Fix Now" and it will automatically start repairing your system of any and all errors.
Following this, your iOS device will be completely fixed on all aspects without any data loss!
After exiting DFU mode, you can restore iPhone from iTunes backup, or you can restore iPhone from iCloud backup. However, doing so would mean that you will be restoring your entire iPhone exactly as it had been. But if you would like a fresh start instead, and if you would like to import only the most vital data, then you can use an iTunes backup extractor, and our personal recommendation would be dr.fone - Data Recovery.
dr.fone - Data Recovery is a really flexible tool with which you can access and view all your iTunes and iCloud backup on your computer. After viewing them, you can select the data that you want to preserve and save it to your computer or iPhone, and get rid of all the junk.
World's 1st iPhone and iPad data recovery software
- Provide with three ways to recover iPhone data.
- Scan iOS devices to recover photos, video, contacts, messages, notes, etc.
- Extract and preview all content in iCloud/iTunes backup files.
- Selectively restore what you want from iCloud/iTunes backup to your device or computer.
- Supports iPhone 11/ iPhone X / iPhone 8 (Plus)/ iPhone 7(Plus)/ iPhone6s(Plus), iPhone SE and the latest iOS 13 fully!
- Fully compatible with Windows 10 or Mac 10.15.
How to selectively restore iPhone backup using dr.fone:
Step 1. Select Data Recovery Type.
After you launch the tool, you have to select the recovery type from the left hand panel. Depend-ing on whether you want to recover data from iTunes or iCloud, you can select either 'Recover from iTunes Backup File' or 'Recover from iCloud Backup File.'
Step 2. Choose the backup file.
You'll find a list of all the different backup files available. Select the one from which you want to recover data, and you can delete the rest. Once you've selected it, click on 'Start Scan.'
Step 3. Selectively restore iPhone backup.
Now you can browse through your gallery, select the ones you want to save, and then click on "Recover to Computer."
This method will help you restore only the iPhone data that you really want and not all the junk that comes with it.
So now you know how to fix an iPhone by putting the iPhone in DFU mode, you also know how to exit DFU mode if your phone gets stuck. However, as already mentioned this method causes data loss, so our recommendation is for you to use the alternative method of dr.fone in order to fix all system errors without any data loss!
- 1 iOS Frozen
- 1 Fix Frozen iPhone
- 2 Force Quit Frozen Apps
- 5 iPad Keeps Freezing
- 6 iPhone Keeps Freezing
- 7 iPhone Froze During Update
- 2 Recovery Mode
- 1 iPad iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 2 iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 3 iPhone in Recovery Mode
- 4 Recover Data From Recovery Mode
- 5 iPhone Recovery Mode
- 6 iPod Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 7 Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
- 8 Out of Recovery Mode
- 3 DFU Mode