Have you ever got the error of freezing the Android device home screen? Or the notification light keeps blinking without anything shown on display? Then you are facing Android black screen of death.
This scenario is common with many Android mobile users, and they always hunt for solutions to get rid of this Android black screen problem. Here are some more situations that can assure you that you are facing Android black screen of death.
- The light of the phone is blinking but the device is not responding.
- The phone is hanging and freezing very frequently.
- The mobile is rebooting and crashing more often and the battery is draining a lot faster.
- Phone restarts on its own.
If you face these situations, you might be facing the Android black screen of death issue. Follow this article, and we’ll discuss how to get rid of this annoying problem at ease.
Part 1: Why Android device gets black screen of death?
Similar to the "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) on computers, the Android Black Screen of Death indicates a severe system crash or malfunction. When this issue occurs, the device's display remains blank, and you are unable to interact with the device, access apps, or perform any actions. The cause of the Android black screen of death can vary, but some common factors include:
- Install incompatible apps or apps with bugs and viruses.
- Have bugs or errors in the Android operating system.
- Keep the mobile charged for long after it’s fully charged.
- Use a non-compatible charger.
- Use an old battery.
- Incorrectly install or incomplete system updates.
- Excessive heat due to heavy usage or environmental factors.
If you face the situations mentioned above, this is clearly a case of the Android screen black. But don't worry about that. You can follow the article below to get rid of this situation on your own.
Part 2: How to rescue data when Android gets black screen of death?
This annoying Android black screen of death is making it impossible to access your internal data. So, the possibility is that you might lose all the data. We have a solution for all of your data recovery problems from a damaged Android device.
The solution for recovery data is the Dr.Fone - Data Recovery (Android) toolkit by Wondershare. This tool is highly appreciated worldwide and very popular for its feature-rich user interface. This tool can perform a lot of functions that can successfully recover the data from a damaged device.
Use this revolutionary toolkit to get the data back from the black tablet screen of death. Connect the device with the PC after installing this tool and follow the on-screen instruction, and all of your data will be transferred to your PC. Unfortunately, the tool is supported on selected Samsung Android devices as of now.
A Dedicated Tool to Retrieve Data from Broken Android Devices.
- Recover data from broken devices or devices that are damaged in any other way, such as those has black screen.
- Recover photos, videos, contacts, messages, call logs, and more.
- Highest retrieval rate in the industry.
- Compatible with most Samsung Galaxy devices.
Part 3: 9 Solutions to fix the black screen of death of Android
- 3.1 One click to fix the black screen of death
- 3.2 Force restart your Android phone
- 3.3 Check and clean your phone
- 3.4 Remove the battery
- 3.5 Recharge the device
- 3.6 Wipe cache partition to fix black screen of death
- 3.7 Uninstall incompatible apps
- 3.8 Reboot to safe mode
- 3.9 Factory reset to fix Android black screen of death
3.1 One click to fix the black screen of death
Facing an Android device with a black screen of death, I believe, is one of the gloomiest moments of one's life, especially for those who know little about the technical part of Android. But here is the truth we have to admit: most cases of the black screen of death arise due to system glitches in Android.
What to do? Shall we find someone who is tech-savvy to seek help? Come on, this is the 21st century, and there are always one-click solutions to deal with technical issues for laymen like you and me.
Fix Black Screen of Death for Android In One Click
- Fix all Android system issues like a black screen of death, OTA update failures, etc.
- Update the firmware of Android devices. No technical skills are required.
- Support all the new Samsung devices like Galaxy S22, S23, etc.
- Click-through operations to bring Android out of the black screen of death.
Here are the easy steps to get your Android device out of the black screen of death:
- Download and install the Dr.Fone tool. After launching it, you can see the following screen pop up.
- Select "System Repair" from the home page, and then click on the "Android ".
- Click "Start" to commence the Android system repair. In the next screen, select and confirm your Android model details like name, model, country, etc. and go on.
- Boot your Android into Download mode by following the on-screen demonstrations.
- Then the tool will download the Android firmware and flash the new firmware to your Android device.
- A moment later, your Android device will be repaired completely, and the black screen of death will be fixed.
Video guide: How to fix the Android black screen of death step by step
3.2 Force restart your Android phone
Because it is the quickest and most painless solution, most people do this when their Android phone screen goes black too fast. The majority of phone issues can be resolved by performing a hard reboot. Here are the necessary measures if you haven’t tried this method before.
To reboot your Android device, you may need to press a specific key combination, depending on the model you have, but most Android devices can be force restarted by doing the following steps:
Step 1: Press and hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds. Keep holding it until the device restarts.
Step 1: For Samsung devices, press and hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons for about 7 seconds.
3.3 Check and clean your phone
This method might not be popular with Android users, but this can do wonders when dealing with an Android black screen of death issue. To do this, follow the steps provided below:
Step 1: Ensure your phone’s buttons and ports are not stuck before anything else.
Step 2: See if dirt prevents you from turning the device on. Then, quickly press and release the button a few times.
Step 3: If the phone isn’t charging normally, ensure the charging port isn’t clogged with dust and debris by checking and cleaning it. You can gently blow out any debris in the charging port or use a wooden toothpick to pry it open.
Step 4: After you’re done with the cleaning, it’s best to charge the phone for at least 10 minutes. Just give it a quick charge and then try to restart it.
3.4 Remove the battery
If your phone’s battery is removable, you can try taking it out and trying again if restarting and cleaning it doesn’t fix the problem.
Step 1: To get started, take the phone apart by starting at the back.
Step 2: After 20 to 30 seconds, take out the battery and put it back in.
Note: When replacing the battery, ensure the metal contacts correctly connect to the phone.
This easy and straightforward method should help you fix your Android screen black issue, but if it doesn’t, continue reading, as this article got more techniques you can try.
3.5 Recharge the device
If your Android phone screen suddenly goes black, let the battery die completely. Then once the battery is completely dead, you should plug it in to charge and turn it on by pressing the Power button. Try to check if you still encounter the issue after doing so.
3.6 Wipe cache partition to fix black screen of death
If your Android device turns on, but the screen remains black, clearing the cache partition should solve the problem. After all, keeping caches on your phone would cause it to run more slowly and cause other problems. Therefore, the issue can be resolved by clearing the cache partition. Check the following steps on how to do this below:
Step 1: Turn off your Android device.
Step 2: Boot the device into Recovery Mode.
Note: The steps necessary to enter recovery mode will vary depending on your specific Android phone model. To ensure you’re doing the correct steps for your device, consult the user manual or look it up online. The following instructions work for Samsung devices:
- For older Samsung devices with the home button: Press and hold the Volume Up button, the Power button, and the Home buttons simultaneously.
- For newer Samsung devices without the home button: Press and hold the Volume Up button and the Power button together.
- If the device logo appears, release your grip, and the phone will restart.
Step 3: Find the Wipe cache partition option using the volume controls after entering Recovery Mode.
Step 4: Select Wipe cache partition by pressing the Power button.
Step 5: On the next screen, use the Volume Down button to highlight "Yes" and then press the Power button to confirm the cache wipe.
Step 6: The cache partition will be wiped, and you will see the "Cache wipe complete" message on the screen.
Step 7: Use the Volume Down button to navigate to the "Reboot system now" option and press the Power button to reboot your Samsung device.
After rebooting, you can see that you have successfully got rid of the annoying Android black screen of death. For most of the cases, this method solves the problem. If not, you have to move to the next method.
3.7 Uninstall incompatible apps
Android screen black can be a result of installing a bug or incompatible apps. If you have recently installed an app that crashes frequently, that may be the reason for the issue. Uninstalling the app from the device may solve the problem with ease. For doing this, you need to boot your device in Safe mode. Follow the below steps.
Step 1: Power down your device by pressing and holding the Power button until a menu appears.
Step 2: Navigate to Safe Mode by pressing and holding the Power Off button.
Step 3: Tap the “Safe mode” icon to enter Safe mode. You should now see Safe Mode at the device’s bottom.
Step 4: After selecting Settings, head to the Apps section.
Step 5: Select the app by clicking on it; the App Info window should appear. To uninstall the app, tap the Uninstall option from the menu below the screen.
Step 6: Now restart the device by pressing the power button and let it boot up in normal mode.
If the app is the reason for Android black screen of death, then after uninstalling, you can get rid of this issue. If not, now you have to factory reset your device to solve the problem.
3.8 Reboot to safe mode
Even after multiple attempts to launch them, certain applications act suspiciously and cause the device to crash. When an Android phone suddenly goes black, you can often isolate the problem to a specific app by booting into Safe mode.
Step 1: Begin by restarting your phone. To do that, press the Power button until a menu appears.
Step 2: Press the Power Off button to enter Safe mode.
Step 3: Activate Safe mode by clicking the “Safe Mode” icon.
Step 4: To return to Normal mode, turn off your device and then turn it back on.
3.9 Factory reset to fix Android black screen of death
The factory reset is the option that enables the factory state of your device by erasing all data, settings, bugs, and apps. Your device will be fresh like factory condition after this reset. Worth mentioning here, you’ll lose all the internal data and installed apps after this reset. So, to overcome the Android tablet black screen of death, you must perform this action as the last option. Follow the below steps carefully.
Step 1: Turn off the device. Then press the Volume Up + Power button + home button (or press Volume Up + Power buttonS) altogether and let the mobile boot into recovery mode.
Step 2: After booting up in recovery mode, you can find the "Factory data reset" option. Navigate to that option with the volume up and down arrow and select it with the power button.
Step 3: In this step, you need to confirm your action by tapping on the “Yes” option. After this, your device will start erasing. This may take a while to complete the whole process.
Now, your device will reboot automatically and you can see the Android black screen of death problem is solved.
Part 4: How to avoid Android black screen of death?
These are the general methods to overcome the situation of Android screen black. But to avoid this situation, here are a few tips to follow –
- Install apps from trusted suppliers only.
- Use security or antivirus software on your device.
- Take a backup at regular intervals.
- Always keep Android OS updated.
- Don’t keep your mobile charged for a long duration after a full charge.
- If your battery gets old, replace it soon.
- Keep your device's storage well-maintained. Regularly delete unnecessary data.
- Close unused apps running in the background to conserve system resources.
- Prevent phone overheating by avoiding excessive usage, and not exposing it to direct sunlight for extended periods.
By following these steps, you should avoid the most unpleasant situations, such as the Android screen black. We all know that “Prevention is always better than cure”.
The Bottom Line
There could be a lot of reasons why an Android black screen issue occurs, but the important thing is knowing the correct ways how to fix it. And this article has covered nine proven methods to help you fix an Android phone screen black problem.
But among the methods discussed above, Dr.Fone – System Repair just stood out as this program does not only help you with a black screen of death problem, but it covers many other Android system issues too. It’s also a highly intuitive program that requires no skills to operate.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- Android Update
- 1. Download and Use Samsung Odin
- 2. Samsung Phone Stuck in Odin Mode
- 3. Android 9 Pie Problems & Fixes
- 4. Latest Updates in Android 11
- 5. Update Android Oreo 8.1
- Android Not Working
- 1. Solution To Bricked Android Phone
- 2. Fix 'Android Phone Won't Turn On'
- 3. Fix the Soft Bricked Android Phone
- 4. Flash Dead Android Phone
- 5. Fix Phone Keep Turning Off
- 6. Fix Android Bootloop Problem
- 7. Fix Android Phones and Tablets
- Android Errors
- 1. Fix Error 495 While Download Apps
- 2. Fix Error 505 in Google Play Store
- 3. Fixes For Authentication Error
- 4. Fix Error Code 963 on Google Play
- 5. Fix Error Code 920 In Google Play
- 6. Fix Encryption Error
- Screen Problems
- 1. Fix Unresponsive Fire Tablet Screen
- 2. Fix Unresponsive Android Screen
- 3. Fix Android Screen Problem
- 4. Fix Phone Is Stuck on Boot Screen
- 5. Fixes for Tablet Screen Not Working
- 6. Tools for Removing Stuck Pixels
- 7. Fix Android Black Screen of Death
- 8. Fix Android Stuck on Boot Screen
- 9. Fix Android White Screen of Death
- 10.Fix Android Blue Screen of Death
- 11.Fix ONN Tablet Screen Not Working
- 12.Fix Android Touch Screen Proble
- 13.Fix Smartphone With a Black Screen
- 14.Fix Realme Screen Not Responding
- 15.Fix Phone Screen Not Responding
- Android Problems