Authentication Error Occurred? Here Are 10 Proven Fixes
There are times when users get an authentication error while they connect to a Wifi network. The problem is mostly found in Android whenever a device tries to establish a connection to Wifi. If your device is also experiencing an authentication problem Wifi, then don’t worry. It can easily be resolved. In this post, we will make you familiar with the root cause for Samsung Wifi problem and how you can resolve whenever authentication error occurred on your device.
Part 1: Any idea about Wi-Fi authentication problem?
Wi-Fi authentication has to be done every time you wish to connect to a Wi-Fi network over your smartphone or laptop. To authenticate yourself and connect to the protected Wi-Fi network, you need to have the password of it. But if after you’re putting in the correct password and still experiencing the wifi authentication problem. Here’s what you need to know.
Authentication error occurs when the “deal” between the Wi-Fi router and device fails due to certain reasons. First, the device sends the password of the network and the "connect" request in an encrypted format to the Wi-Fi router. Then, the router decrypts the password and compares the password saved on it. Now, if the password matches, it sends affirmation for the "connect" request and then the device is allowed to connect to the network.
Part 2: Why Authentication Error Occurred when Connecting to Wifi?
There could be plenty of reasons for facing an authentication error on your device. Most of the times, it occurs whenever a Wifi router seems to malfunction. Furthermore, if your phone has been recently updated, then chances are that there could be an issue with its drivers. A security attack can also make your device malfunction as well. An unstable connection or a router blockage can also be a reason for this issue.
In this scenario, whenever you try to connect to a Wifi network (even after supplying the correct password and username), it doesn’t connect to it. Instead, it displays an authentication error occurred prompt. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to overcome authentication problem Wifi. In the next section, we have provided three different solutions to fix Samsung Wifi problem (as it mostly happens on Android devices).
Part 3: 10 Solutions to Fix Wifi Authentication Error
Before we make you familiar with different fixes for the Wifi authentication error, it is important to check your router beforehand. Chances are that you could be getting the authentication error because your router is not functioning properly. You can restart it and try to connect any other device to it as well to check it. After making sure that there is no problem with your network or router, follow these suggestions to overcome the authentication error occurred issue.
Check if extra characters added in Wi-Fi password
Ensure that there are no other extra characters being added in the Wi-Fi password while you’re entering it. Key in the password carefully while viewing the characters, and then check if the authentication error occurs or not.
One Click to Fix Wifi Authentication Error by Android System Repair
Android system repair is considered the most effective way to fix Wifi Authentication Error. As the bottom-layer Android system files may be corrupted unconsciously with days of phone use, the Wifi Authentication Error may be one of the symptoms.
So Android repair requires programming knowledge to do it?
No! With dr.fone - System Repair (Android), you can do Android repair in just few steps and get all issues like Wifi Authentication error fixed easily.
Easy-to-operate tool to fix Android system issues like Wifi authentication error
- Fixes all Android system issues like black screen of death, Wifi authentication error, etc.
- One click to fix Wifi authentication error. No technical skills required.
- Supports all the new Samsung devices like Galaxy S8, S9, etc.
- Easy-to-follow instructions provided on each of the screens.
Here are the steps to fix Wifi Authentication Error by Android system repair:
Note: Android repair is effective to permanently fix Wifi Authentication Error, but may wipe out the existing phone data. Backup all the important Android data to PC before you go on.
- After the dr.fone tool is downloaded, install and launch it. You can see the following screen.
- Connect your Android device to the computer, and select "Android Repair" in the middle.
- Select all the details that match your device, and click "Next".
- Next up, you should boot your Android device in download mode by following the on-screen instructions.
- Allow the program to download the corresponding firmware. After that, the Android repair will start and get the Wifi Authentication Error fixed in minutes.
Use static IP address instead of DHCP
DHCP, or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is the default IP address assignment for the Wi-Fi settings on many devices. Whereas DHCP can cause IP address conflict during dynamic IP address assignment. So, you'd better change "DHCP" to "Static" to see if the authentication error persists.
Step 1: Head to the “Settings” of your Android device and then opt for “Wireless and Networks” followed by “WLAN/WiFi”.
Step 2: Now, hit on the WiFi network that is showing "authentication error occurred".
Step 3: Depending on your Android device model, look for “IP Settings” and tap on it. Now, switch the “DHCP” to “Static”.
Step 4: Note down the static IP address fields and wipe off all the fields. Punch it in again and then save it.
Check carefully for duplicate Wi-Fi names before you connect
Perhaps, you might connect to a WiFi with a similar name. There are good chances that some users do not modify their WiFi network name and possibly, your neighbor may have the same WiFi network service provider. Therefore, ensure you connect to the correct WiFi network.
One of the easiest ways to fix authentication problem of Wifi is to reset the network. To do this, you would be required to forget the respective network first and then connect to it again. This can be done by simply following these steps.
1. Firstly, you need to forget a Wifi network. To do it, go to your phone’s Settings > WiFi and network. From here, you can see a list of all the Wifi hotspots that your phone connect to. Select the network you wish to forget.
2. When you would select a network, it will provide basic information related to it. Just tap on the “Forget” button and agree to the pop-up message. This will erase the network’s information from your device.
3. Afterward, turn on your Wifi again and tap to the network you wish to connect to. Simply provide the credentials and tap on the “Connect” button to reestablish the connection. This way, you can reset the network successfully.
Modify network connection
If the above solution won’t work, then you would be required to walk an extra mile in order to fix Samsung Wifi problem. After you reset a network connection, if still getting issues regarding the authentication of the network, you need to modify the connection. In this technique, you will be changing the IP settings on your phone to alter the way it establishes a secure connection. You can do it by following these steps.
1. To start with, visit your phone’s Settings and open the Wifi page.
2. This will display a list of all the Wifi networks that are associated with your device. Just long-tap on the Wifi network that you wish to modify. It will open another pop-up window. From here, tap on the option of “Manage network settings”. Sometimes, users also get an option of “Modify network settings” here as well. Simply select it to proceed.
3. It will display basic information related to your Wifi network. Just tap on the “Show advanced options” button to access more options related to the network setting.
4. From the IP Settings menu, change the field from DHCP to Static. This will let you establish a static connection between your device and the router.
5. As soon as you will change it to static, you will get different fields related to your network’s IP address, gateway, DNS, and more. Simply fill these fields and tap on the “Save” button once you are done.
Now, try to connect to the Wifi hotspot again. You would be able to overcome the authentication problem of Wifi.
Change Network Security Type
It has been observed that, when we connect to Wifi, our device chooses a wrong security type. This clashes with the default security protocol of the router and authentication error occurred due to this. If your device is facing the same issue, then it can be fixed by simply changing its security type. To do this, follow these instructions:
1. To change the security type of a network, you need to “Add the network”. If you already have the Wifi network saved, then simply forget the network by following the above-mentioned tutorial.
2. Now, turn on your device’s Wifi and tap on the option of “Add network”. Here, you would be asked to give a network name and select the security type. To manually select it, tap on the “Security” option.
3. From here, you will get a list of various security protocols that you can pick. Select “WPA/WPA2-PSK” and save your selection.
Now, try to connect to the network again. Most likely, it will let you fix the authentication error on your device.
Update Android firmware to the latest
There are instances where an out dated OS version of your Android device may create hindrance in establishing connection between your device and the WiFi network. You need to update your Android firmware to the latest version and then check if the problem persists or not.
Step 1: Launch “Settings” of your Android device and then get into the “About Phone” option.
Step 2: Now, opt for the “System Update” option. If the update is available, get your device updated to the latest OS version.
Restart the router and reset Android network settings
Sometimes, the WiFi router may hang up while establishing connection and therefore, the wifi authentication problem occurs. Try restarting your Wi-Fi router and then check if your device connects successfully. If this doesn’t work, try to reset your Android Network Settings.
Bonus tip: Turn Airplane mode on/off
By simply turning on the Airplane mode (and later turning it off), you can easily fix the authentication problem Wifi most of the times. You can find a toggle button for Airplane mode on the notification bar of your phone. If you can’t find it there, then go to your phone’s Settings > Connection > More Networks and turn on the feature of “Airplane Mode”.
Let it set for a while. Afterward, turn it off and try to connect to the Wifi network again.
After following these quick and easy suggestions, you would be able to fix Samsung Wifi problem for sure. Even if you use any other Android device, then its authentication error can easily be resolved after these effective solutions. Go ahead and give these expert solutions a try and let us know about your experience as well. If you have any other solution to fix authentication problem Wifi, then share it with us as well in the comments.
Android System Recovery
- Android Device Issues
- Process System Isn't Responding
- My Phone Won't Charge
- Play Store Not Working
- Android System UI Stopped
- Problem Parsing the Package
- Android Encryption Unsuccessful
- App Won't Open
- Unfortunately App Has Stopped
- Authentication Error
- Uninstall Google Play Service
- Insufficient Storage
- Android Crash
- Android Phone Slow
- Android Apps Keeps Crashing
- HTC White Screen
- Android App Not Installed
- Camera Failed
- Samsung Tablet Problems
- Android Repair Software
- Android Restart Apps
- Unfortunately the Process.com.android.phone Has Stopped
- Android.Process.Media Has Stopped
- Android.Process.Acore Has Stopped
- Stuck at Android System Recovery
- Huawei Problems
- Huawei Battery Problems
- Android Error Codes
- Android Error 491
- Android Error 495
- Android Error 492
- Android Error 924
- Error Code 504
- Error Code 920
- Error Code 963
- ErrorPlay Store
- Error 505
- Android Tips