Samsung Odin Firmware Flashing Software: What Is It, How It Works, and How to Use
If you own a Samsung Galaxy device and want to install a custom ROM, you’ve probably stumbled upon Samsung Odin. Flashing ROM on your smartphone device is a delicate task.
You should come prepared!
Below you will find out what exactly Samsung Odin is, how to complete the Samsung Odin download, how it works, how to use it, and most importantly, what to do if something goes wrong.
Part 1. What Is Samsung Odin
Samsung Odin is a firmware flashing software. It’s developed for Windows users exclusively. It has two main functions – it’s a diagnostic and ROM flashing tool for Samsung Galaxy devices (smartphones and tablets). While the software was developed by Samsung to be used only internally, it leaked, and users can now access it for free.
The suite allows you to update ROM on your Samsung device. You can use the official Stock recovery firmware or download a custom one. The app allows you to custom-tailor your Android experience. Here is what it can do:
- Flash stock or custom firmware – update your phone with custom firmware or use the stock one to fix common problems such as bootloop, software bugs, or app crashes;
- Flash recovery file – you don’t need to flash the entire firmware. If you only want to flash the custom recovery file, you can do it with this tool;
- Flash root package – you will be able to flash custom root packages;
- Flash kernels – tweak the performance of your device by flashing a custom kernel of your choice.
Part 2. Things to Know Before Using Samsung Odin
While using Samsung Odin is straightforward, you need to know a few things before going with it. Here are the essential things to know:
- Backup аll data – make sure to backup all data on your smartphone to avoid losing it;
- It works on Windows only – Samsung Odin is only available for Windows OS;
- You need the latest USB drivers – make sure to update your Samsung USB drivers to the latest version;
- Samsung Odin only works with .tar files – don’t try to flash ROM using ZIP or RAR files; it only works with .tar files.
Part 3. Where to Download Samsung Odin?
Since we are not talking about the official Samsung release, you can find the app on several online sources. Just type “odindownload” as a search query in your favorite search engine. Here is how to complete a Samsung Odin download at odindownload.com.
- Step 1:Visit odindownload.com.
- Step 2:Choose the version you want to download.
- Step 3:Click the link to the desired version.
Click on the link to download the version you want. Wait for the download to complete. Unpack the archive, and you are ready to go.
Part 4. How to Flash Stock Firmware Using Samsung Odin
Here are the steps you need to complete to flash stock firmware using Samsung Odin.
- Step 1:Start Odin as administrator
Navigate to the folder you’ve extracted Odin into, right click the exe file, and choose run as administrator.
- Step 2:Boot your Samsung device into the Download Mode
Now turn off your device and connect it to your computer with a USB cable. Once you see the charging animation, press and hold the Volume up and down keys simultaneously. After 5 to 7 seconds, you will see the warning screen. Release the buttons and press the volume up button to enter the download mode.
- Step 3:Check if Samsung Odin recognizes your phone
Now take a look at Odin3 software. The ID:COM port should be highlighted. Check the Log for the “Added” message.
- Step 4:Make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are selected
Click the Options tab next to the Log tab and make sure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are enabled.
- Step 5:Add firmware binaries to the corresponding fields
It’s time to add stock firmware binaries to Odin. You will see the BL, AP, CP, and CSC buttons in the main section of the Odin app. Click every button and navigate to the folder with stock firmware.
Make sure to select the correct files. For instance, once you click the BL button, you must choose a file starting with “BL_”. Follow the same logic for files that start with “AP_”, “CP_”, and “Home_CSC”.
- Step 6:Start the flash
Click the start button to flash the ROM on your Samsung device. If everything goes well, you will see the PASS message highlighted in the top left section and the “All threads completed” message in the Log tab.
Part 5. What to Do if Something Goes Wrong With Your System
The most common error you can encounter is the black screen of death, also called infinite boot loop. It doesn’t mean that you’ve bricked your device. There are a couple of things you can do. For instance, with Wondershare Dr.Fone, you can quickly repair your phone and restore it to pre-flash condition. Here is what you can do.
Repair your phone with Wondershare Dr.Fone
Wondershare Dr.Fone is a specialized software offering smartphone owners many useful features. One of the features that you will find helpful if ROM flashing fails is system repair. Here is how to use it.
- Step 1:Install and launch Wondershare Dr.Fone.
Download and install Wondershare Dr.Fone. Installation is straightforward. Once you complete it, you can start the app.
- Step 2:Select System Repair.
Select the System Repair option In the main section of the window.
- Step 3:Select Android for the type of device
- Step 4:Connect your Samsung device to your PC.
Connect your Samsung device to your PC with a USB cable.
- Step 5: Select the type of problem you want to repair.
Wondershare Dr.Fone will offer you a list of problems it can repair. Select the one your phone has.
- Step 6:Enter Samsung device details.
During the next step, Wondershare Dr.Fone will ask you to disclose details of your Samsung device so it can properly repair it. Enter all details before clicking the Next button.
- Step 7:Put your phone in download mode.
Follow the onscreen instructions to put your phone in the download mode.
- Step 8: Download the firmware and install it.
The firmware download will start automatically once your phone enters download mode.
Once the download is complete, click the Fix Now button.
- Step 9: Type “000000” to confirm the Android repair
Now you will have to confirm the Android repair with 6 zeros. It may erase all data on your phone, so there will be a final confirmation window.
- Step 10:Complete the repair or try again.
Click Done if your phone is successfully repaired. You can try again if you aren’t satisfied with the results.
Try to repair your phone with Samsung Odin
You can also use Odin to restore your phone after the ROM flash fails. Here are the steps.
- Step 1:Download the latest suitable firmware for your device.
- Step 2:Unpack the archive and store it in a separate folder.
- Step 3:Follow Steps 1, 2, and 3 from the “How to Flash Stock Firmware Using Samsung Odin” section.
- Step 4:Flash your phone.
Click the AP button and navigate to the tar.md5 file stored in your Samsung firmware folder. Click the Start button. Look for the “All threads completed.” message in the Log tab.
There you go. Now you are equipped with the knowledge to properly use this powerful software for flashing ROMs on Samsung Galaxy devices. As you can see, Samsung Odin is simple to use.
You have a safety net as well. Wondershare Dr.Fone is a versatile software to help you get your phone up and running again if something goes wrong with your system. With this app, you can recover your phone even if you get the black screen of death.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- Android Update
- 1. Download and Use Samsung Odin
- 2. Samsung Phone Stuck in Odin Mode
- 3. Android 9 Pie Problems & Fixes
- 4. Latest Updates in Android 11
- 5. Update Android Oreo 8.1
- Android Not Working
- 1. Solution To Bricked Android Phone
- 2. Fix 'Android Phone Won't Turn On'
- 3. Fix the Soft Bricked Android Phone
- 4. Flash Dead Android Phone
- 5. Fix Phone Keep Turning Off
- 6. Fix Android Bootloop Problem
- 7. Fix Android Phones and Tablets
- Android Errors
- 1. Fix Error 495 While Download Apps
- 2. Fix Error 505 in Google Play Store
- 3. Fixes For Authentication Error
- 4. Fix Error Code 963 on Google Play
- 5. Fix Error Code 920 In Google Play
- 6. Fix Encryption Error
- Screen Problems
- 1. Fix Unresponsive Fire Tablet Screen
- 2. Fix Unresponsive Android Screen
- 3. Fix Android Screen Problem
- 4. Fix Phone Is Stuck on Boot Screen
- 5. Fixes for Tablet Screen Not Working
- 6. Tools for Removing Stuck Pixels
- 7. Fix Android Black Screen of Death
- 8. Fix Android Stuck on Boot Screen
- 9. Fix Android White Screen of Death
- 10.Fix Android Blue Screen of Death
- 11.Fix ONN Tablet Screen Not Working
- 12.Fix Android Touch Screen Proble
- 13.Fix Smartphone With a Black Screen
- 14.Fix Realme Screen Not Responding
- 15.Fix Phone Screen Not Responding
- Android Problems