How to Fix iPhone Text Messages Disappeared
iPhone offers two instant messaging services to its users. The first is through the traditional Messages app, while the other is via iMessage. The former relies on network connectivity to send and receive text messages from one end to another. Meanwhile, the latter is an internet chatting platform exclusive only to Apple devices. Both of them keep us in contact with other people. All we need is a reliable electronic connection to send text messages and attachments in a breeze.
However, things get rough when text messages on your iPhone mysteriously vanish into thin air. It’s a very rare occurrence, but it can happen to any of us. The root of such problems differs between the users. But don’t worry. Whatever the cause, there are many ways to retrieve missing text messages on iPhone.
In this article, we will discuss the reasons why iPhone messages disappeared out of nowhere. We will also provide some effective solutions in case you encounter the same problem. Continue reading below to learn more.
Part 1. Top Reasons Why iPhone Messages Disappeared
The main reason why text messages from one person disappeared on iPhone is unintentional mistakes. Let’s say you’re tidying up your inbox to free up some space on your device. By accident, you happen to delete a particular text message you’re supposed to keep. That’s commonly the scenario behind the missing text messages on iPhone. However, it’s not always the case. Below are the reasons why the text message disappeared on iPhone.
iOS has crashed.
We all know that iOS takes charge of the general performance of iPhone and other Apple devices. If something goes wrong with it, the overall function of the device will certainly suffer. That can be the reason why Messages or iMessage misbehave and potentially lose important data like text messages.
Messages or iMessage have encountered some internal glitches.
It’s undeniable that the Messages and the iMessage apps are among the most sophisticated communication platforms of our time. They execute very well and perform tasks with accuracy and precision. But it’s still important to take note that they are just computer programs, after all. They can also run into unexpected hiccups and become a problem sometimes. Data loss is a common upshot of random bugs on these two messaging apps. So if your iPhone messages disappeared suddenly, it’s probably because of internal glitches.
The auto-delete feature is currently enabled on your device.
In case you’re unaware, iPhone’s Messages and iMessage are geared with an auto-delete feature. The text messages will be automatically deleted after a certain period of time. This can be the reason why your text messages get consistently wiped out on your device. Simply turn this off to end your dilemma once and for all.
The recent iOS update is faulty.
It is always recommended to upgrade the iOS of our iPhone once the new software becomes available. Such updates contain new features and system patches that enhance the performance of the device. However, it sometimes contains computer bugs that interfere with mobile apps and affect their delivery. Data loss can also happen if the error is way too severe. So if random bugs come along with the software update, your text messages and other files might be at risk.
Part 2. 6 Ways to Retrieve Missing Text Messages on iPhone
Losing important text messages on our iPhones is indeed a pain in the neck. It can get us in serious trouble, especially if they contain sensitive information. But don’t sweat it. There are so many techniques you can try to recover missing text messages on your iPhone. Below are some antidotes you can incorporate if your iPhone messages have disappeared.
Solution 1: Restart iMessage and MMS Messaging Settings
It’s possible that nothing serious is actually going on. The error is probably just an indication that you need to recalibrate the settings of the iMessage and the Messages apps. Don’t worry. This procedure is not rocket science. It’s as easy as pie. Here’s how to do it.
- Step 1: Go to Settings.
- Step 2: Find and click Messages.
- Step 3: Switch off the radio button next to iMessage and MMS Messaging. After a few minutes, turn it back on again.
- Step 4: Check the apps to see if the text messages have been restored.
Solution 2: Reset the iPhone’s Settings
The iPhone settings get so messed up sometimes. If such inconsistencies go any further, it might result in data loss or mobile apps having strange behaviors. But don’t worry. You can easily fix it by resetting the iPhone’s settings. Here’s how to do it in easy steps.
- Step 1: Go to Settings.
- Step 2: Click General.
- Step 3: Click Transfer or Reset iPhone or Reset.
- Step 4: Click Reset.
- Step 5: Click Reset All Settings.
Solution 3: Restart Your iPhone
If you’re iPhone is having a crappy day, the text messages and other files on your device might temporarily disappear. It’s a normal scenario that can happen anytime. To solve this issue, you simply need to restart your iPhone. Here’s how to do it in easy steps.
- Step 1: For users of iPhone X or newer models, hold the Power and any of the two Volume buttons simultaneously. Alternatively, hold the Power button alone if you’re using iPhone SE or older models.
- Step 2: Drag the Power-off slider to the right. Don’t do anything while the device is shutting down.
- Step 3: After a few minutes, turn on the device once again. Hold the Power button until the Apple logo materializes on the screen.
Solution 4: Restart the iCloud Messages Settings
Syncing your text messages to iCloud might face some issues too. It can be caused by unexpected errors or disrupted communication between your iPhone and the platform. As a result, the text messages on your device suddenly become unavailable for local viewing. Don’t worry. You can fix it in a snap. Here’s how to do it in easy steps.
- Step 1: Launch the Settings app on your device.
- Step 2: Click on your Apple ID account.
- Step 3: Find and click iCloud.
- Step 4: Switch off the sync option for Messages. Wait a few minutes, and then turn it back on.
Solution 5: Restore Your iPhone Using iTunes
Is it your habit to sync your iPhone to iTunes? If so, recovering the missing text messages on your iPhone will be so much easier. All you have to do is restore your device from a specific iTunes backup that contains the lost text messages. Here’s how to do it in easy steps.
- Step 1: Launch the iTunes application on your desktop. Right after, connect your iPhone to your computer using a data cable.
- Step 2: Once your iPhone has been recognized, click the Device button below the top menu bar.
- Step 3: Click Summary from the left panel.
- Step 4: Head over to the main menu. Click Restore Backup.
- Step 5: Click Restore and Update.
- Step 6: Select the specific iTunes backup you want to restore. And then click Restore to proceed.
Solution 6: Recover Missing Text Messages on iPhone Using Wondershare Dr.Fone
What if the first set of solutions brings no real progress? Well, don’t worry because there’s a third-party application that can help you restore the missing text messages on your iPhone. Wondershare Dr.Fone has a powerful data recovery feature you can use to solve this conundrum. Here’s how to use it in easy steps.
- Step 1: Download Wondershare Dr.Fone from its official website. Install it on your computer.
- Step 2: Launch the newly installed Wondershare Dr.Fone on your desktop.
- Step 3: Once it fully loads, click Toolbox from the left panel. And then click Data Recovery on the main dashboard.
- Step 4: Since you’re trying to retrieve the missing text messages on your iPhone, click iOS.
- Step 5: Click Recover Data From iOS Device among the provided options.
- Step 6: Connect your iPhone to your computer using a data cable.
- Step 7: Wondershare Dr.Fone will display the available file types that can be recovered from your device. Check the tickbox for the Message & Attachments. And then click Start Scan.
- Step 8: After scanning your iPhone, Wondershare Dr.Fone will display all the data that can be recovered from your device. Check the tickbox for Messages and Message Attachments on the left panel. Alternatively, select the text messages individually on the main dashboard. Right after, click Restore to Device.
- Step 9: Confirm your device and the list of files you want to restore. And then click Continue.
- Step 10: Deactivate temporarily your Find My iPhone if it’s currently enabled on your device to avoid interruptions.
- Step 11: Wondershare Dr.Fone will let you know once the process has been completed.
Part 3. Why Do You Need to Back Up Your Text Messages?
Creating backups for your important files is one way to save yourself from the hassle. It will make it much more convenient for you to recover them in case of unexpected data loss. You may automatically sync your iPhone to iCloud and iTunes to keep an updated backup of your data. Another way is to back up your files to third-party storage like Wondershare Dr.Fone. No extra effort is needed. The entire process is a walk in the park. Here’s how to use it.
- Step 1: Launch Wondershare Dr.Fone on your desktop.
- Step 2: Find and click My Backup on the left panel. After that, click Back Up Now on the main dashboard.
- Step 3: Wait while the process is ongoing. Don’t use your iPhone or your computer for a while to avoid unnecessary disruptions.
- Step 4: Once completed, click Open in Folder or View Backups to review your files.
Losing text messages on our devices is a real bummer. It can cause serious problems and excessive delays in our daily tasks. But no need to panic. The abovementioned solutions can help you bring back the missing text messages on your iPhone. On the same note, download Wondershare Dr.Fone for additional assistance. This complete-package mobile solution has powerful data backup and recovery features that are easily accessible and readily available.
- Recover Apps
- 1. Data Recovery Software for Android
- 2. Top 4 Android Data Recovery Tools
- 3. Restore Deleted Files on Android
- 4. Coolmuster Android Data Recovery
- 5. Guide of Disk Drill for Android
- 6. Android Data Recovery Software
- 7. Gihosoft Android Data Recovery
- 8. Jihosoft Android Phone Recovery
- 9. Minitool Android Mobile Recovery
- 10. Recover Android Data from Fucosoft
- 11. Best Mobile Forensics Tools to Recover Data
- Contacts Recover
- Files Recover
- 1. Recover Files from Internal Memory
- 2. Recover Miscellaneous Files
- 3. Recover Android's Hidden Files
- 4. Recover Deleted Files from Android
- 4. Recover Deleted Files Without Root
- 5. Recover Files from SD Card
- 6. Undelete Files on Android
- Messages Recover
- Music/Videos Recover
- Photos Recover
- 1. Android Photo Recovery Apps
- 2. Recover Deleted Photos from Android
- 3. Recover Photo from Internal Storage
- 4. Recover Photos from Lost Phone
- 5. Restore Android Deleted Photos
- Broken Android Recover
- 1. View Files from Broken Phone Screen
- 2. Recover Data from Dead Phone
- 3. Recover Contacts with Broken Screen
- 4. Recover Text Messages from Android
- 5. Recover Data from Internal Memory
- Social Apps Recover
- 1. Recover Facebook Messages
- 2. Recover WhatsApp Messages
- 3. Recover WhatsApp Messages
- 4. Restore Deleted WhatsApp Messages
- Android Recover Tips