12 Free Android Data Recovery Software
Our smartphones serve as our lifelines today. From phone contacts to chat messages to precious memories in photos and videos to sensitive information in documents and passwords and logins, our smartphones hold everything. With super-sensitive touchscreens, it is easy to mistakenly delete precious data from the phone forever, in a split second. Can the lost data be recovered on a phone? Did you know that 70% of all smartphone users worldwide use an Android smartphone? That is a staggering market share by any standard. Given such a high number of Android users worldwide, there is no dearth of free Android data recovery software on the Google Play Store. We have compiled a list of the best, with both a quick comparison and a detailed outline of the top 12 Android data recovery free software.
Part I: Top 12 Free Android Data Recovery Software: Quick Comparison
We understand you might be in a hurry to recover data. The table below gives you a glance at the apps and what they are all about so you can take your pick quickly.
Name of Software
Free and Paid (USD 39.95)
|· Highest data recovery rate in the world.
· Supports over 6000 devices.
· Can recover WhatsApp chats and attachments.
· 12 brands supported.
Free and Paid (USD 89)
|· Supports over 400 file formats.
· Preview files during and after scanning.
· Quick and Deep scan modes.
· One-time licensing.
· File types supported are lesser than Dr.Fone – Data Recovery (Android).
· Android 12 and older devices are supported.
Free and Paid (USD 69.95)
|· Can recover from internal and external memory.
· Can export messages in HTML.
· Can export contacts in VCF, HTML, and CSV formats.
|· Free versions are severely limited for meaningful use.
· Cannot recover WhatsApp data.
· 8 brands supported.
Free and Paid (USD 49.95)
|· Wide range of brands supported.
· Preview files before recovery.
· Recover files from internal and external memory.
· Recover audio files without loss of quality.
|· Limited functionality in the free version.
· Requires Pro upgrade to recover WhatsApp data.
· Requires Pro upgrade to recover photos in original quality.
· Requires Pro upgrade to recover deleted/ lost SMS.
· 8 brands supported.
Free and Paid (USD 24.95)
|· Shows the likelihood of successful recovery to save time.
· Can recover deleted emails.
· Can recover data from some iPod models.
· Can recover Apple FairPlay DRM-protected files.
|· Only Windows version.
· No macOS version.
· Android recovery not supported officially but users can try with UMS protocol.
· Android devices not supported officially.
Free and Paid (USD 39)
|· Separate recovery modules for internal storage and SD card.
· Can recover 10 files of a given type for free, per use.
· Provides yearly as well as lifetime licenses.
|· Only runs on Windows OS.
· Does not recover WhatsApp data.
· 8 brands supported.
Free and Paid (USD 119.99)
|· Can restore data straight to the device.
· Can export contacts in VCF and CSV format.
· Can export call logs in HTML or TEXT format.
· Has annual and lifetime licensing options.
|· Unable to detect as much lost data as other apps.
· Recovery success rate not as high as could be.
· Need to pay to recover anything.
|· 20 brands supported.
· Up to Android 11 only.
Free and Paid (USD 49.95)
|· Can recover from the Android version as early as 2.3.
· Free trial available on Windows and macOS.
· Can recover Viber chats.
|· Supports Android version up to Android 9 only.||· Supports devices from Android 2.3 up to Android 9 only.|
Free and Paid (USD 62.45)
|· Can back up data from bricked devices free of cost.
· Pro version recovers WhatsApp data and deleted SMS among other things.
|· Requires Pro upgrade for recovering WhatsApp and other data.||
· 10 brands supported.
Free and Paid (USD 74.95)
|· Can recognize over 100 file types to recover.
· Can recover from SIM card, SD card, and internal memory.
|· Recovers only about 100 file types.||
· Supports devices running Android 5 till Android 12.
Free and Paid (USD 29.95)
|· Recover data from phone memory, SD card, and SIM card.
· Works on Windows and Mac.
· Supports major smartphone brands.
· Recovers WhatsApp data as well.
|· Cannot recover data from Google Drive.
· Low recovery rate when compared to other apps.
· 8 brands supported.
Free and Paid (USD 39.97)
|· Read-only app for high security.
· Thorough scanning.
· High recovery success rate.
|· Slow scan time.
· Uses a lot of system resources.
Part II: Top 12 Free Android Data Recovery Tools Detailed
If you are one to read thoroughly before taking the plunge, we recommend reading this detailed comparison that lists all you need to know about the apps to make an informed decision on which free Android data recovery software to use.
There are over 2.67 million apps in the Google Play Store vying for user attention, as per a Statista report in March 2023. Naturally, there is serious competition for an app to reach the top spot or even break the top 10. So, when you search for top free Android data recovery software and find Wondershare Dr.Fone – Data Recovery (Android) in the list, do not be surprised. There is a good reason that millions of users around the world trust Wondershare Dr.Fone – Data Recovery when they want to recover lost data on their Android devices.
- Highest data recovery rate in the world. This means that you stand a greater chance at recovering your precious data with Dr.Fone Data Recovery than with any other free Android data recovery software in the world.
- Recover more file types than any other Android data recovery app.
- Recover data even from broken phones.
- Recover from cloud storage such as Google Drive.
- Supports a vast range of over 6000 Android devices.
- Recover WhatsApp data and attachments as well.
- Has an Android app in case you want to recover directly on your smartphone.
How to use Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android?
Wondershare Dr.Fone stands out as one of the best Data recovery software for Android users. We have seen that one of the reasons it is the best is because of how easy it is to use. To prove it, here’s how it works.
Step 1: once you have downloaded and installed Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android on your PC, the first step is to Launch the program and choose "Data Recovery" > "Android" > "Recover Android Data", then connect your device using USB cables.
Step 2: The Next Step is to enable USB debugging. This is usually done to allow Wondershare Dr.Fone to recognize your device. In the next window, Wondershare Dr.Fone will provide you with the instructions to do this.
Step 3: Depending on the type of files you want to recover, the next step allows you to scan only selected file types. This saves time. Click on "Start Scan" once you have made your choice.
Step 4: Now the program will scan the data on your phone. If you see the data you want to recover, you can just click the "Pause" button on the top right corner or wait for the whole scan process to complete.
Step 5: Once the scan is complete, all the deleted files will be displayed in the next window. Choose the ones you would like to recover and click on “Recover”.
A video guide to recover your precious data now!
2: Disk Drill Data Recovery Software
Disk Drill Data Recovery Software is another renowned Android data recovery free software available to download on Windows and macOS. The free version allows you to recover up to 500 MB of data before requiring you to pay and upgrade. The good news is that Disk Drill offers a one-time, lifetime license, so you are not tied up in a subscription model. The bad news is that recovering data from an Android smartphone is currently supported only on the Mac version as of now.
- Supports over 400 file formats.
- The quick scan and deep scan modes are offered.
- Files can be previewed during and after the scan.
- Bad devices can be scanned as well.
3: EaseUS Mobisaver for Android Free
EaseUS has been around since 2004 and EaseUS Mobisaver for Android Free is a robust Android data recovery software that can help you recover data lost in various scenarios such as accidental deletion, virus attacks, SD card issues, etc. Comes in free and paid Pro versions.
- Can recover data from both internal and external memory.
- Supports over 6000 devices.
- Offers detailed previews before recovery to save time.
- Messages can be recovered and exported in HTML format as well.
- Contacts can be recovered in VCF, CSV, and HTML formats as well.
4: Gihosoft Free Android Data Recovery
Gihosoft Free Android Data Recovery is another powerful app you can use. The app comes with several user-centric features that make data recovery on Android a breeze. Gihosoft allows users to recover data even from factory reset phones, a major plus for any data recovery software. The software supports a wide range of brands, and there is no need to root the device for recovery.
- Supports a wide range of brands.
- Recovers several types of files from memory.
- Allows preview before recovery to save time.
- Recovers files from internal and external memory.
- Upgrade to the Pro version to recover WhatsApp messages and data.
5: Recuva: Recover Deleted Files Free
Recuva data recovery software has been around for a while now, and users rely on it when disaster strikes. The developers behind Recuva are the same ones that are behind the popular disk cleaning app CCleaner. However, it must be noted that Recuva does not offer Android data recovery officially, nor is there a Mac version. Recuva is a Windows-only tool.
- Can tell the likelihood of recovery in advance, saving time.
- Can recover emails deleted in email apps such as Outlook and Thunderbird.
- Can recover Canon RAW image files.
- Can recover files on certain iPods but not iPhones.
- Can recover Apple FairPlay DRM songs.
6: MiniTool Mobile Recovery for Android Free
MiniTool is another free data recovery software for Android devices that can help you recover lost data and save the day. This app is designed with Android users in mind and caters to the myriad needs of users when attempting Android data recovery. It can recover from internal and external memory and can recover all types of data, such as photos, videos, songs, and even WhatsApp messages and data.
- Separate modules for recovering from internal memory and SD card.
- The free version allows the recovery of 10 files of a given type per use.
- Has yearly as well as lifetime licenses.
- Recover nearly all types of data, such as call history, contacts, documents, WhatsApp data, songs, photos, and videos.
7: iMobie PhoneRescue for Android - Android Data Recovery Tool
iMobie bills itself as the most reliable free Android recovery software. Does it live up to that claim? Only you can tell! iMobie PhoneRescue claims to be the only Android data recovery software that can restore data directly to the device. It can work on both rooted and non-rooted devices. The interface is intuitive, and a wide range of brands are supported.
- Can recover messages, contacts, and calendar data after accidental deletion.
- Can export calendar data in TEXT and CSV format to the computer as well.
- Can restore data straight to the device for convenience.
- Can recover call logs to the device or export them to the computer in HTML or TEXT format.
- Contacts can be recovered to the device directly or exported to PC/ Mac in VCF or CSV format.
- Has annual as well as lifetime licensing.
8: Jihosoft Android Phone Recovery
Jihosoft Android Phone Recovery is another free data recovery app for Android that supports over 6000 devices. It can recover files and data lost under several scenarios, such as accidental deletion, phone reset, software crashes, bricking during root, etc.
- Can recover deleted files selectively.
- Can recover WhatsApp and Viber chats.
- Can recover from the Android version as early as 2.3.
- Free trial is available for Windows and macOS.
9: Aiseesoft- Free Android Data Recovery
Aiseesoft- Free Android Data Recovery is available on Windows and macOS. You can use this free Android data recovery software to recover nearly all types of data on your Android device, regardless of the condition it is in. It means that you can recover data from damaged, password-protected, or even bricked Android devices.
- Can recover contacts and export them in VCF/CSV/HTML formats.
- Can back up existing data on the device without rooting.
- Can back up data from bricked devices for free.
- The Pro version recovers WhatsApp data and deleted SMS, among other things.
10: FonePaw Android Data Recovery
FonePaw Android Data Recovery, in their own words, is easy, efficient, and effortless. It boasts of a high scan speed of over 1000 files in a few seconds. This free Android data recovery software can recover files lost under various scenarios such as a virus attack, SD card corruption, accidental deletion, ROM flash issues, and even issues during rooting.
- Recover data under various data loss scenarios.
- High scan speed of over 1000 files in seconds.
- Offers 3 recovery modes – internal memory, SD card, and SIM card.
- Can recover over 100 file types.
11: FoneDog Android Data Recovery
FoneDog Android Data Recovery is available for both macOS and Windows operating systems. It comes with a free trial as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee. It supports all major smartphone manufacturers and can recover data from internal memory, SD card as well as SIM card.
- Can recover data from internal memory, SIM card, and SD card.
- User-friendly interface.
- Can recover data under several scenarios, such as rooting errors, accidental deletion, SD card corruption, etc.
12: Remo Recover For Android
Remo Recover For Android comes with some interesting features. For example, it can save the recovery session to avoid rescanning. It can even recover lost APK files. It scans both internal memory and external memory (SD card) for recovery. It shows a preview before recovery.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Read-only application with no malware or adware.
- Thorough scanning and a high-enough recovery rate.
With millions of apps in the Play Store, you need a guide to help you choose the best free Android data recovery software when you need it the most. This guide helps you pick from the best apps. You cannot go wrong with any of these, though each comes with its own set of limitations and advantages.
Recover Deleted Files from Android Without Root
- Recover data from Android devices, broken Samsung phones, and Google Drive.
- Supports to recover Contacts, Messages, Call history, Video, Photo, Audio, WhatsApp messages & attachments, documents, etc.
- Supports 6000+ Android phones and tablets from brands like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, and Google.
- Highest retrieval rate in the industry.
- Recover Apps
- 1. Data Recovery Software for Android
- 2. Top 4 Android Data Recovery Tools
- 3. Restore Deleted Files on Android
- 4. Coolmuster Android Data Recovery
- 5. Guide of Disk Drill for Android
- 6. Android Data Recovery Software
- 7. Gihosoft Android Data Recovery
- 8. Jihosoft Android Phone Recovery
- 9. Minitool Android Mobile Recovery
- 10. Recover Android Data from Fucosoft
- Contacts Recover
- Files Recover
- 1. Recover Files from Internal Memory
- 2. Recover Miscellaneous Files
- 3. Recover Android's Hidden Files
- 4. Recover Deleted Files from Android
- 4. Recover Deleted Files Without Root
- 5. Recover Files from SD Card
- 6. Undelete Files on Android
- Messages Recover
- Music/Videos Recover
- Photos Recover
- 1. Android Photo Recovery Apps
- 2. Recover Deleted Photos from Android
- 3. Recover Photo from Internal Storage
- 4. Recover Photos from Lost Phone
- 5. Restore Android Deleted Photos
- Broken Android Recover
- 1. View Files from Broken Phone Screen
- 2. Recover Data from Dead Phone
- 3. Recover Contacts with Broken Screen
- 4. Recover Text Messages from Android
- 5. Recover Data from Internal Memory
- Social Apps Recover
- 1. Recover Facebook Messages
- 2. Recover WhatsApp Messages
- 3. Recover WhatsApp Messages
- 4. Restore Deleted WhatsApp Messages
- Android Recover Tips