There are several cases when someone wants to know about how to hard reset an Android phone using PC. Such cases usually arise when your device is not accessible or stolen. It also involves situations when you forget the password or the unlock pattern of your device, or maybe your phone has frozen and is non-responsive. In such situations, it is very important to know how to reset Android phones to factory settings from the computer.
Factory reset will delete all your user data from internal storage. Thus it is also very important to back up all your internal data of the device before you hard reset Android via PC. Moreover, a hard reset should be your last option at hand to revive your Android device. Hence, in this article for all the users out there, we have picked up the solution on how to factory reset Android Phone using PC.
You must ensure that all the steps are followed in sync so that the hard reset Android via PC is successful.
Part 1: Back up Android before hard reset
Since factory reset involves removing all data, adjusted settings and logged accounts from the device; therefore, it is very important to back up all the data before moving on with the factory reset process. So, in this section, we will show you how to first back up your Android device using the Phone Backup. This is an easy-to-use and very convenient Android backup software that can be used to back up an Android device.
Flexiblely Back up and Restore Android Data
- Back up Android data to the computer with one click.
- Preview and restore the backup to any Android device or iOS device.
- Supports 8000+ Android devices.
- There is no data lost during backup, export, or restoration.
Let’s have a look at the easy process to back up Android before the factory reset it.
Step 1: After installation completes, connect your Android device via data cable and go to "My Backup". Then, this tool will automatically detect your device.
Step 2: You can now see the file types that will be backed up, such as Contacts, Messages, Calendars, Videos, etc.
Step 3: Click on "Backup pow" to proceed with the process. The backup process will start, keeping connected the device during the phone backup process.
Step 4: Within a few minutes, your whole device will be backed up. You can click "View Backups" to view all data that is backed up.
Phone Backup is one of the handiest and easy-to-use features within Wondershare Dr.Fone. Users can select their opted files manually to restore. This tool supports 8000+ Android devices worldwide. Users will feel safe and secure using this revolutionary software.
Part 2: Hard Reset Android using Dr.Fone - Screen Unlock (Android)
Dr.Fone - Screen Unlock (Android) is a user-friendly software tool that helps you unlock your Android device if you forget the passcode, pattern lock, PIN, or face/fingerprint lock. It supports various Android devices, allows you to bypass lock screens without data loss, and provides step-by-step instructions for easy unlocking. It also helps with FRP unlock and works on both Windows and Mac systems.
Step 1: Launch Dr.Fone - Screen Unlock on your computer and select "Screen Unlock" from the main interface. After that , you need to connect your Android phone to the computer using a USB cable.
Step 2: Choose "Android" > click "Unlock Android Screen" if you want to remove the lock screen. Choose your device brand. The hard reset methods vary for different device brands, so make sure that you choose the correct device brand.
Step 3: Put the Android phone into Specific mode with the help of Dr.Fone. And then, Dr.Fone will factory reset your Android phone within a few minutes. Now you can access your Android phone without a password!
Part 3: Hard reset Android using Android SDK
In this process, we will learn how to hard reset Android phone to factory settings from a computer using SDK. This involves removing all data from the device using a PC.
Follow the given steps to know how to hard reset an Android phone using PC.
• PC that runs on Windows (Linux/Mac installer is also available)
• You have to download Android ADB tools on your computer. Android ADB Download: https://developer.android.com/studio
• A USB Cable to connect your device with your computer.
Steps to hard reset Android using SDK
Step 1: Enable USB Debugging in the Android settings. Open Settings>Developer options>USB Debugging. If developer options can’t be found on the device, then please go to Settings > General > About phone > Common > Software info (tap on it 5-8 times).
Step 2: Install Android SDK Tools. Ensure that Platform-tools and USB drivers are selected in the SDK manager window.
Step 3: Ensure that the drivers for your Android are installed on your PC or at least the Generic drivers are present
Step 4: Connect the device to the PC using a USB cable. Ensure that the device is recognized in the Windows Device Manager.
Step 5: Open the command prompt in Windows and go to C:\Users\Your username\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Step 6: Type ADB reboot recovery and the device will restart. The recovery menu must appear after this
Step 7: The device can be disconnected now. Now, you can remove the password or simply Factory Reset the device.
Now, you have successfully reset your device using a PC.
Although the first process is the easiest, in certain cases, you might have to look for other options too. Kindly follow the steps thoroughly and format your device with ease.
Part 4: Hard reset Android using Android Device Manager (Find My Device)
When someone loses their phone, or it is stolen, the two questions that commonly arise are: how to locate the phone? And if it is not possible, how to remotely wipe the phone’s data? People can use the Android Device Manager (also referred to as "Find My Device") and do the exact two things. The best thing about this is that it doesn’t need to be installed as it is inbuilt on all Android Devices.
Let us look at the following steps to know how to reset Android phones to factory settings from the computer.
Requirements for Android Device Manager to Work:
• It must be activated in the device administrator settings. Go to settings > Security > Device administrators and check whether ADM is enabled as a device administrator or not.
• The location of the device must be ON
• The device must be signed in to a Google account
• The device must have an active internet connection
• The device should not be switched off
• Even if the device is without SIM, the Google account must be active
Steps to use ADM to wipe or locate any Android Device:
Step 1: Directly go to the Android Device Manager website, and log in to your account. You will get three options: "Play Sound", "Secure Device" and "Erase Device".
Step 2: Click on the "Play Sound" option will make it raise the alarm, notifying of the location, you can easily locate your Android phone if it is nearby.
Step 3: Click "Secure Device", you can remotely lock your device with a new passcode, display a custom message on the lock screen, and even track the device's location in real-time. It also gives you the option to add a contact number, so anyone who finds your device can reach out to you.
Step 4: Select "Erase Device" to reset your device. Once you select this option, the interface will take over and complete the job. Congratulations! You have successfully used the Android Device Manager (ADM) to reset your Android smartphone.
The Bottom Line
So these were the third different methods through which you can hard reset your Android device. Resetting the device involves removing every data from the device. The phone gets back to the same state as it was out of the box. Hence, most importantly, do not forget to back up data using Phone Backup and restore beforehand so that you do not end up losing anything important.
- Android to iTunes/iCloud
- Android to Mac
- 1. Transfer Data from Android to Mac
- 2. Transfer Videos from Android to Mac
- 3. Transfer Files from Android to Mac
- 4. Connect Android with Mac
- 5. Transfer Photos from Android to Mac
- 6. Sync Android with Mac OS X
- Android to PC
- 1. Transfer Files Using USB Cable
- 2. Share Apps for Android to PC
- 3. Transfer Photos to Windows 10
- 4. Transfer Contacts to PC
- 5. Transfer Photos from Android
- 6. Transfer Files from Android to PC
- 7. Backup and Transfer SMS
- 8. Transfer Photos from Android to PC
- iCloud to Android
- 1. Tips to Sync Data to Android
- 2. Set Up iCloud Account on Android
- 3. Transfer iCloud Contacts
- 4. Transfer iCloud Photos to Android
- iTunes to Android
- 1. Transfer iTunes Audio Books
- 2. Sync iTunes Music with Google Play
- 3. Copy iTunes Playlists to Hard Drive
- 4. Transfer Music from iTunes
- Mac to Android
- 1. Transfer Files from Mac to Android
- 2. Send Files from Mac to Android
- 3. Transfer Music from Mac
- 4. Transfer Photos from Mac
- PC to Android
- 1. Transfer Files to Android Wi-Fi
- 2. Transfer Pictures from Computer
- 3. Transfer Files from PC to Android
- 4. Transfer data from Acer device
- Manage Tips