7 Ways to Solve iTunes Error 21 or iPhone Error 21 while Restoring iPhone
It might have happened to you that you're trying to restore your iPhone but no matter what you do, iPhone won't restore because an iTunes error 21 or iPhone Error 21 keeps popping up! It's like a whack-a-mole, you keep trying to restore, but that infernal iPhone Error 21 comes again. Generally, these errors are a result of some security software package interfering with your restore, and it usually has an easy fix.
So here we're showing you 8 different ways by which you can fix iTunes error 21 or iPhone Error 21, restore with ease, and continue using your device!
- What is iTunes Error 21 (iPhone Error 21)?
- Solution 1: How to fix iTunes error 21 or iPhone error 21 without losing data
- Solution 2: Repair iTunes to fix iTunes error 21
- Solution 3: Fix iTunes error 21 by updating iTunes
- Solution 4: Turn off Anti-Virus to fix iPhone error 21
- Solution 5: Remove unnecessary USB devices
- Solution 6: Check Sensor Cable
- Solution 7: How to fix iTunes error 21 via recovery mode
- Solution 8: Check modified or outdated software
Now before we get to the nitty-gritty's of how to fix iTunes Error 21, I'm sure you must be wondering what is iTunes Error 21 (iPhone Error 21) to begin with, and why does it have this strange obsession with your phone! The most common reason for iTunes Error 21 is that your iTunes is trying to download the restore files (.ipsw) but is, unfortunately, being blocked from authentication. This may be due to a hardware error, or maybe there is a communication failure between your device and the servers. However, fret not, we will show you how to fix that iPhone Error 21 easily and effectively and get back to leading your iPhone engrossed lives!
One of the biggest concerns you probably have while attempting your restore and trying to fix the iPhone Error 21 is whether your data is safe. That is a legitimate concern as a lot of techniques out there might or most certainly will lead to data loss. That is why we're starting our list with a technique that can ensure there won't be any data loss. To ensure this you can use an easy-to-use and convenient software called Dr.Fone - System Repair
Your memories and data are all precious and you shouldn't risk them. Dr.Fone seems to place great emphasis on data preservation and as such is the recommended means to fix iPhone Error 21. Furthermore, its convenience and mile-purpose nature help as well.
Fix iTunes error 21 or iPhone error 21 without Data Loss
- Fix various iOS system issues stuck in recovery mode, white Apple logo, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Only fix your iOS to normal, no data loss at all.
- Fixes other iPhone error and iTunes errors, such as iTunes error 4013, error 14, iTunes error 27, iPhone error 9 and more.
- Works for all models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Fully compatible with the latest iOS version.
Steps to fix iTunes error 21 with Dr.Fone
Step 1. Choose 'System Repair'
After launching the Dr.Fone toolkit, you'll find 'System Repair'. Click on that.
Step 2. Connect the iPhone
Connect your iPhone via a cable and let Dr.Fone detect it. Click 'Start' to go on with the process.
Important: Please note that by fixing the issue - iPhone stuck at Apple logo, the iOS operating system on your iPhone will be updated to the latest version. And if the device is a jailbroken iPhone, then it will be converted back to its none jail-broken state.
Step 3. Download the firmware
Dr.Fone will identify the iPhone model and offer the latest iOS version for you to download. Simply click 'Start' and wait for the process to complete.
Step 4. Fix iTunes error 21
Once the download is complete, Dr.Fone will automatically start repairing the iOS, except this time you won't be bothered with an iPhone error 21 message!
Tips: If these steps won't work, probably the iTunes components are corrupted. Go to repair your iTunes and try again.
If there's a real problem like iTunes error 21, having iTunes components repaired will be effective. No matter the iPhone Error 21 is a temporary glitch or a component corruption issue, with the following iTunes repair tool, you can take care of it easily.
You remember how I mentioned that the iTunes Error 21 may be a result of the iTunes being blocked. Well, sometimes simply repairing the iTunes can prove enough to fix iTunes Error 21. So you might wanna' lead with that.
Fix iTunes error 21 with few clicks. Easy & fast.
- Fix all iTunes errors like iTunes error 21, error 54, error 4013, error 4015, etc.
- Fix all issues when you attempt to connect or sync iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iTunes.
- Fixing iTunes issues without existing iTunes data.
- Fastest solution in the industry to repair iTunes to normal.
Operate based on the following steps. Then you can fix iTunes error 21 quickly:
- Download the Dr.Fone toolkit. Then install, start it up, and click "Repair" in the main menu.
- In the new window, click "iTunes Repair" from the left column. Then connect the iOS device to your PC.
- First, we should exclude the connection issues. So let's choose "Repair iTunes Connection Issues".
- If iTunes error 21 still pops up, click "Repair iTunes Errors" to verify and repair all iTunes components.
- Lastly, if iTunes error 21 is not fixed by the above steps, click "Advanced Repair" to have a thorough fix.
Updates on all Apple products can be imperative as they help fix bugs and whatnot. So if you have been holding out on updating iPhone because you have a slow net, or because your phone is jailbroken, or whatever reason you might have, now is the time to update it. Get the latest version of iTunes and you might be able to fix iTunes Error 21.
How to fix iTunes error 21
- Open up 'iTunes.'
- Go to Menu > Help.
- Select 'Check for Updates.'
A lot of times the proper functionality of some vital programs may be hampered by the anti-virus as they might be corrupted or be threats. In that case, turning off the Anti-Virus helps access those programs regardless and maybe update your device.
You could try and fix iPhone Error 21 by removing all unnecessary external devices from the computer as they may have programs that are getting in the way of a proper restore and bring-ing up iPhone Error 21.
This method sounds either complicated or risky. However, it's, not unless you do it exactly as it's supposed to be done. It's sorta' like defusing a bomb, cut the wrong wire and your device goes boom! Well, not literally, but you get the picture. However, if you do it right, you might be able to fix iPhone Error 21. All you have to do is open the device, confiscate the screw which connects the battery. Disconnect the device cable and put it back together. This might help, though it seems like quite an extreme and risky measure, especially considering you have a far more guaranteed and viable option in Dr.Fone from Solution 1.
This method involves you trying to fix iPhone Error 21 via DFU mode. DFU stands for Device Firmware Upgrade and ensures a complete restore of iPhone. While this does guarantee fixing iPhone Error 21, it does not guarantee that all your data will be safe. So only use this method if you've exhausted all other options. Here's how you can do it.
Fix iTunes error 21 or iPhone error 21 through recovery mode
Step 1. Put your device into DFU Mode.
- Hold the power button down for 3 seconds.
- Hold the power and the home button down for 15 seconds.
- Release the power button while still holding down the home button for 10 seconds more.
- You'll be asked to "connect to iTunes screen."
Step 2. Connect to iTunes.
Plug your iPhone into your computer, and access iTunes.
Step 3. Restore iTunes.
- Open the 'Summary' tab in iTunes, then click 'Restore.'
- After Restore, your device is going to Restart.
- When asked to "Slide to set up," simply follow the Setup.
This solution is likely to fix iPhone Error 21, however, as I mentioned earlier it restores your phone to factory settings without giving you a chance to create a backup. This would lead to considerable data loss, as opposed to the alternative of Dr.Fone.
The iTunes Error 21 might be caused because of an outdated or corrupt software. You might be using an old version of iTunes in which case you should refer back to Solution 3 and update it. You might be attempting to install an older version of iOS, in which case you should find the latest version and install that.
In listing out the different methods by which you could fix iPhone Error 21, we haven't discriminated between the different methods. We believe you should have the ultimate power of decision so we've listed them all, along with their pros, cons, and risks. For example, some of the techniques are considered risky and can lead to severe data loss, some may even ruin your iPhone if not handled well, and most of them don't offer any guarantee of success. That is why my recommendation is to go with Dr.Fone - System Repair as it is a safeguard against all the risks I just mentioned. But, hey, the choice is in your hands! We just hope you make the right call, and then do common down below to let us know which method worked best for you!
- iPhone Error List
- iPhone Error 9
- iPhone Error 21
- iPhone Error 4013/4014
- iPhone Error 3014
- iPhone Error 4005
- iPhone Error 3194
- iPhone Error 1009
- iPhone Error 14
- iPhone Error 2009
- iPhone Error 29
- iPad Error 1671
- iPhone Error 27
- iTunes Error 23
- iTunes Error 39
- iTunes Error 50
- iPhone Error 53
- iPhone Error 9006
- iPhone Error 6
- iPhone Error 1
- Error 54
- Error 3004
- Error 17
- Error 11
- Error 2005