Gmail Not Working on Android: 7 Common Problems & Fixes
Ever since Android is introduced, it has almost eliminated the need of computers to work through Gmail. Gmail carries much importance especially when you’re a working person. A lot of work is done through mails on daily basis. But maybe today is not your lucky day. Maybe Gmail is giving you a hard time today. Is it? Is your Gmail not responding or keeps stopping you from going further? Well! There is no need to be bothered anymore. We are discussing some of the general Gmail problems along with their fixes. So, if your Gmail is not working on Android, you can go through this article and find the relevant solution.
Problem 1: Gmail App not responding or keeps crashing
First and foremost, the most common situation people meet with is when there Gmail keeps crashing. Or simply, it doesn’t respond at all. When you open it, it stuck for a few seconds and then you have to close it. It seriously is an annoying issue. If your Gmail is also not responding or crashing and you aren’t able to work properly, following are the solution you can follow.
The first thing you can do to fix Gmail not responding issue is to clear the cache of Gmail. This has higher chance to get the issue resolved. To do this:
- Go to “Settings” and look for “Apps & Notifications”. Please note that the option may vary in some Android phone like it maybe “Application” or “App Manager”. So, don’t panic and look for the option carefully.
- Now, from the apps list, search “Gmail” and tap on it.
- Go to “Storage” followed by “Clear Cache”.
Restart the Device
Restarting the device in the first place simply resolves many problems and so in the instance when Gmail keeps stopping. Simply long press the power button of your device and restart the device. See of the problem gets vanished or not.
Factory Reset the Device
The next option that you can try is resetting your device. This will lead to data loss so we suggest you to take backup firstly and then proceed with this method.
- Hit on “Settings” and search for “Backup & Reset” option.
- Tap on “Reset” or “Erase all data” (the option name again may vary).
If unfortunately the above solutions don’t work, there is a requirement to flash the stock Android ROM again. Before you wonder how, there is a professional one-click tool that can surely be of assistance. It is Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android). The tool takes special care of the Android phones and fixes almost every system issues with ease. It takes no special technical skills and performs efficiently.
Problem 2: Gmail won’t sync between all ends
The next most common problem where people get stuck with is when there Gmail won’t sync. Here are the solutions to this particular problem.
Make Space in the Phone
When Gmail stops syncing, one of the things that can save you is clearing the storage. It is the space that maybe the culprit and therefore the syncing don’t work at all. We would like to suggest you removing the unwanted apps to clear the storage or deleting the downloaded files. You can also transfer the important files to your computer and make the space vacant.
Check Gmail Sync Settings
When still the Gmail not working issue persists and you can’t sync, make sure to check the Gmal sync settings. For this, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Gmail app and tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines).
- Tap “Settings” and choose your account.
- Check the box next to “Sync Gmail” if it’s not checked.
Restart the Device
Again, restarting can also be helpful in this situation. When you boot the device again, check if your Gmail can sync or not.
Problem 3: Gmail won’t load
In case you are using the Gmail over your web browser and it has tested your patience in loading, here are the solutions that could prove to be fruitful for you. Please check these out.
Ensure to Use Gmail Supported Browser
First of all, you need to make sure that the browser you are using works with Gmail or not. Gmail can smoothly perform in Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. However, the browsers should be updated. So, please make sure that these browsers are running on the latest versions. Moreover, in case you use Chromebook, don’t forget to update the operating system in order to let it support Gmail.
Clear Cache of web browser
If you tried the above method but to no avail, try to clear the cache and cookies of the web browser. But by doing so, the browser history will be removed. As well as, the records of the websites you previously enjoyed will also be lost.
Check browser extensions or add-ons
If not the above one, try this tip. It encourages you to check your browser extensions. Perhaps these are interfering with the Gmail and due to this conflict, Gmail won’t load. You can either turn off these extensions and plug-ins temporarily or make use of the incognito mode of the browser where there are no such things like extensions and plug-ins.
Problem 4: Gmail can’t send or receive
Gmail also gives you problem in sending or receive mails and messages. And to troubleshoot such issue, following are the solutions mentioned.
Check the Latest Version of Gmail
This issue is likely to emerge when you are using an outdated version of Gmail. And therefore, the first solution says you to check if the Gmail update is available. You can go to the Play Store and from the “My apps & games” option, you can see if Gmail needs to be updated or not.
Verify Internet Connection
Another thing that carries weight while you can send or receive mails is the internet connection. As we all know that Gmail won’t respond if the device is not connected to the internet. Therefore, you are advised to turn off Wi-Fi and then enable it again. Also, please ensure to switch to Wi-Fi if you are using the cellular data. This may hamper the process and stop you from receiving or sending mails.
Remove you Account and Add Again
If still Gmail keeps stopping you to go ahead, make sure to once sign out from it. To do this:
- Open your Gmail app and go to “Manage accounts on this device”.
- Now, tap on the account you are working with. Tap on “REMOVE ACCOUNT” thereafter. After this, you can again sign in and then check if the problem is gone or not.
Problem 5: Stuck in sending
Now, here is another annoying problem that doesn’t let Gmail working on Android properly. This problem addresses the situation where users send a mail but it gets stuck on sending. If this is the problem that you are going through, the following solutions will help you.
Try Alternative Gmail Address
First of all, if Gmail is not working due to stuck in sending issue, we advise you to make use of some other Gmail address to send the mail. If the problem still occurs, jump to the next solution.
Check Network Connection
As already mentioned, be sure of an active internet connection while working with Gmail. When you are not using a stable connection, it may lead to stuck on sending, Gmail crashing and many other issues. You can fix the issue by doing these three things:
- Most importantly, use only Wi-Fi rather than cellular data if you want a smoother process.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and then turn it on again after nearly 5 seconds. Do the same with the router. Plug it out and the plug in.
- Lastly, turn on Airplane mode and after a few seconds, turn it off again.
Now try to send the mail and see if things are still the same or not.
Large attachments can also be the reason for this issue. We would here like to suggest you to check the attachments you are sending. If these are not so important, you can remove them and send the mail. Or if it is not possible to send the mail without attachments, compressing the files can be a solution.
Problem 6: “Account not synced” issue
Many times, the users get the error that says “Account not synced” while they try to work with Gmail. And this is the 6th problem we are introducing. The ways mentioned below will assist to get out of the trouble.
Make Space in the Phone
When Gmail stops to further the process by prompting “Accounts not synced” issue, be sure that your Android device has some storage in it. If not, create it straight away. As we also mentioned in one of the above solutions, you can either delete the unnecessary files or transfer the important files to the PC to make the space in the phone. Go along with this tip and see if it works.
Check Gmail Sync Settings
As another solution, check Gmail sync settings to get the issue fixed.
- Simply open Gmail and hit the menu icon which is three horizontal lines on the top.
- Go to “Settings” and choose your account.
- See the tiny box beside “Sync Gmail” and check it if it is not.
Restart the Device
If the above method went futile, simply restart your device. Take help of the Power button on your device. Long press it and from the options, restart it. This will hopefully work for you.
Problem 7: Gmail app running slow
The last problem that you may face is the slow-going Gmail app. In simple words, you may experience that Gmail app is operating extremely slowly. To fix this, following solutions will help you.
Restart the Phone
It is a universal method to fix minor Android system issues. And here too, we would like you to restart your Android phone in the first place when you find that Gmail is not responding due to the sluggish behavior.
Clear Storage of Device
Usually all the apps start running slow when the device is not having sufficient space. As the apps need space to function quickly and appropriately, having the device on low storage can prove to be a bad luck for Gmail. So, make sure you wipe out the items you no longer needed on your device and create some room so that the Gmail responds nicely and won’t be running slow anymore.
Update Gmail App
As the last tip that will indeed help you is to update the Gmail app. Until you update the app when required, Gmail keeps stopping you from working and you will definitely get frustrated. Therefore, go to Play Store and look for the Gmail update. If it is available, welcome it with smile and bid farewell to the problem of slow running Gmail.
What if your problem still doesn’t get resolved after following these 3 tips? Well! If that is the case, we will again recommend you to make use of an expert one-click tool to flash the stock Android ROM.
Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) is going to help you serving the purpose. This mighty tool possesses huge success rate and one can rely on it for its simplicity and security. It is designed to work with numerous problem related to Android system. So, no matter if your Gmail keeps crashing or keeps stopping, it has the solution for everything.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- Apps Keep Stopping
- 1. Make Instagram Work Properly
- 2. Fix App Has Stopped Error
- 3. Fixe Gmail Not Working on Android
- 4. Fixe Spotify Keeps Crashing
- 5. Fix Chrome Crashes on Android
- 6. Fix Snapchat has Stopped
- 7. Fix TouchWiz has stopped
- 8. Fix WhatsApp has stopped
- 9. Solve YouTube App Crashing
- 10. Fix Apps Keep Crashing on Android
- 11.Fix Android App Not Installed
- 12.Fix WhatsApp issues on Android
- 13.Fix App Won't Open on Android
- Google Services Crash
- 1. Uninstall Google Play Service
- 2. Fix Google Maps Not Working
- 3. Fix Google Services Has Stopped
- 4. Fix Google Services Won't Update
- 5. Fix Google Play Store Not Working
- 6. Fix Play Store Stuck on Downloading
- Android Services Fail
- 1. Fix Phone Keep Disconnecting
- 2. Fix Android SystemUI Has Stopped
- 3. Fix Process Acore Has Stopped
- 4. Fix Process Media Has Stopped
- 5. the .com.android.phone Has Stopped
- 6. Fix Android Not Receiving Texts
- 7. Fix Bluetooth Not Working
- 8. Fix Home Button Not Working
- 9. Fix SIM not provisioned MM#2 Error
- 10.Fix Phone Has Stopped on Samsung
- 11.Fix Settings Has Stopped on Android
- 12.Fix Video Not Playing on Android
- 13.Fix Wi-Fi Not Working on Android
- 14.Fix Contacts Has Stopped Error
- 15.Fix Android System Crash Issue
- 16.Fix Process System Isn't Responding
- 17.Fix Pokemon GPS Signal Not Found