No Data Loss: How To Downgrade iOS 17 to iOS 16 With Different Methods
iOS 17 has been a great initiative towards improvement in Apple devices, with many diverse features. Regardless of this intuitive upgrade, some users are not satisfied with using it. While there are various reasons for not upgrading iOS versions, there are other things to keep in check. One of the significant things that users should notice is to preserve their data before downgrading iOS.
Since there are essential data contained in your device, it is best to back everything up. Once you back up your device, you can proceed to downgrade to iOS 17.In this article, we will focus on the technical considerations while performing such actions. Along with that, the article's central focus will reside on methods that can be used to downgrade iOS 17 to 16.
Part 1: Method 1: Using iTunes
As the name states, iTunes has been a music manager for many Apple users. However, it provides more than it states. iTunes has presented itself as a complete iOS device manager with the option of restoring, backing up, and repairing iPhone problems.
With such things in mind, it can be used for iPhone downgrade. For this method, we will be focusing on different preparations and the correct procedure to downgrade an iPhone.
Preparations Before Downgrading iPhone
To start with the process, there are a few things that you should prepare with focus. The first is the backup of the iOS device itself, which can be done through iTunes. To know how you can easily back up your iOS device before downgrading it, follow the simplified steps as follows:
- Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the computer through a lightning cable and continue to launch iTunes. Once it appears on the window, look for the "Device" icon on the top toolbar.
- Step 2: As you navigate to the next screen, proceed to the "Summary" tab. In the "Backup" section of the settings, select "This Computer" from the options to save the backup to the computer. To start the iOS 17 iPhone backup process, press the "Back Up Now" button. You can also checkmark the "Encrypt Local Backup" option and set a password before starting the backup process.
Once you are done backing up your iOS device, you should focus on downloading the correct IPSW file. This file is responsible for restoring your iPhone from iOS 17 to iOS 16. Thus, ensure the accessed IPSW file is signed, as it won't have any bugs or viruses.
Downgrading iOS 17 to iOS 16 With iTunes
On concluding all preparations for the iPhone downgrade, let's redirect to the process. This section presents a comprehensive, detailed overview of how to execute the process in the finest way possible:
- Step 1: Navigate to the "ipsw.me" website on your computer's browser. Select the product you own and continue to specify the model. Select the iOS version you want to restore to, which should be a signed file. As you choose it, it opens on a new page with all the details where you have to click "Download."
- Step 2: Once you are done downloading the IPSW file, you will have to turn off the Find My feature. For this, open the "Settings" of your iOS device and continue to select the Apple ID settings. Navigate to the "Find My" option on the next screen to open its settings. Turn off the toggle showing the "Find My iPhone" option to deactivate it successfully. Provide your Apple ID password for the successful execution.
- Step 3: Connect your iPhone with a lightning cable and attach it to a computer. Allow the connection and trust the computer, if needed on connection.
Open iTunes and select the "Device" icon from the top and lead to the "Summary" tab. To downgrade iOS 17, click the "Restore iPhone" button to start the process. However, before you click the button, hold the "Shift" key on Windows or the "Option" key on Mac and click the button.
- Step 4: Hover across the window and look for the IPSW file that was downloaded before. Select and open it to restore the iPhone in the respective iOS version. A pop-up will appear on the screen asking for confirmation where you'll click "Restore/Open." This will downgrade your iPhone to the required iOS version successfully in a while.
Restoring Backed Up Data From iOS 17
- Step 1: Launch your iPhone and initialize it once the restoration concludes. You need to remember that the backup created in iOS 17 is not supported directly by iOS 16, which is why some amendments must be made.
- Step 2: Look for the backup created on your computer through the iTunes Manage Backups feature and access the "info.plist" document from the folder. As it is a complete code document, use the "CTRL + F" or "Command + F" shortcut keys to search for the keyword "Product Version." Just below this line of code, change the string value from "17.0" to "16.0" and save the document.
- Step 3: Return to your iTunes window and unplug and re-plug the iOS device. Click the "Restore Backup" button after the window refreshes and continue to select the respective backup. Click "Restore" to successfully back up all data to your downgraded iPhone.
Possible Issues and Troubleshooting Tips
Although you have understood how to downgrade your iPhone properly with iTunes, some considerations must be made. These issues can arise if the user does not handle the situation appropriately. Below are some cases and tips that you can follow to avoid any tensions in downgrading your iPhone.
1. Corrupt IPSW File
As stated before, an unsigned IPSW file can be a direct source of viruses and malware. Whenever you download an IPSW file, it should be signed to avoid any corruption in the device. Otherwise, the device can always be in threat of getting corrupted.
2. Faulty USB Wire
The USB wire that is used in the process should not be faulty. If it is damaged or not connected properly, the user can face issues managing the process. Ensure the USB wire is new, original, and properly connected to the device.
3. iTunes Not Updated
If iTunes is not updated to the latest version, issues in downgrading can arise. Thus, you must ensure that the iTunes software is up to date and properly working. Any discrepancy can lead to an issue in the process, which will directly impact the iOS device.
4. iPhone Not Charged
You need to charge your iPhone properly before starting the process. The device needs to be at least 50% charged or above to complete the process easily. If the device is not charged, it might shut down during the process, which can be fatal.
5. Don't Disconnect Phone Abruptly
Avoid disconnecting your iPhone abruptly during the process. This can cause direct issues with the device and might also brick it. Try to avoid touching the iPhone when it is downgrading through iTunes.
Part 2: Method 2: Using Recovery Mode
There are always some alternatives available for practicing such methods. When downgrading iPhones, you can also consider using Recovery Mode for this purpose. However, the guide provided here shows a complete overview of how to downgrade iOS 17 to 16 properly through Recovery Mode:
- Step 1: For starters, you will have to put your iPhone in Recovery Mode. Connect it using a lightning cable to your computer. It is a simple process, where you have to press the "Volume Up" button, followed by the "Volume Down" button. Press and hold your iPhone's "Power" button until the Recovery Mode screen appears.
- Step 2: Once the device is in Recovery Mode, a screen will appear on the computer asking to restore the iPhone. Afterward, click the "Restore and Update" button to initialize the iOS 17 to iOS 16 process. The restoration starts in a while as you continue through the generic windows.
After the device is successfully restored to iOS 16, you can follow the instructions provided above to restore your backup made while in iOS 17.
Part 3: Method 3: Using Third-Party Tools
Provided above are two methods that can be tried to downgrade iOS 17to the previous versions. However, users can consider using third-party tools if they seek to perform such actions in a more controlled environment.
Wondershare Dr.Fone’s System Repair is a dedicated facility for resolving iOS problems. It is a great platform designed to address issues like downgrading iOS on devices. Moreover, its progressive functionality gives it an upper hand on many methods and tools used in competition. With the ability to resolve more than 150 issues of iOS in no time, this tool is the perfect option.
You can find Wondershare Dr.Fone as your absolute companion in fixing iOS issues. With diverse, dedicated support up to iOS 17, it makes a complete tool for all users. Provided next are some of the major benefits of using Wondershare Dr.Fone in such scenarios:
Repair iOS System Errors Without data loss.
- You can easily downgrade your iOS devicewithout jailbreaking it, thus saving its integrity.
- The user does not need any technical knowledge of using the software.
- During the entire process of repairing the iPhone, Dr.Fone keeps the data intact.
Steps To Downgrade iOS 17 to iOS 16 Using Wondershare Dr.Fone
We will now directly discuss the steps of downgrading iOS 17 to iOS 16 through Dr.Fone. Go through the details and understand all dynamics before your iPhone downgrade:
- Step 1: Launch Wondershare Dr.Fone System Repair
Open Wondershare Dr.Fone on your computer and continue to attach your iPhone using a cable. Navigate to the "Toolbox" section and select "System Repair" to initialize.
- Step 2: Continue To Select the Function
As you define the nature of the device, continue to select the "iOS Upgrade/Downgrade" option from the next screen. You will be led to a new window where you have to choose "Downgrade iOS."
- Step 3: Select iOS Firmware To Download
You will receive a pop-up asking to back up the device if necessary. Click "Continue" and ensure that the device is connected to the computer for the process. In the next window, you will be displayed with a list of iOS firmware that you can downgrade to. Click the "Download" button adjacent to the version you want to download and start the process.
- Step 4: Downgrade iPhone Successfully
The iOS firmware version downloads successfully on the device, which is verified. On verification, click the "Repair Now" button to start the process and successfully downgrade your iOS device.
You May Also Like:
Bonus Part: How To Upgrade iOS 16 to iOS 17 Easily?
Being an iOS user, you might have concerns about upgrading your iPhone. When it comes to this, the process of upgrading the iPhone through Settings is quite simple. Find out how it is done with the provided steps:
- Step 1: Open the "Settings" of your iPhone and continue to the "General" settings. Then, locate and access the "Software Update" option on the next screen.
- Step 2: As you navigate to the next screen, let the iPhone automatically check for updates. Once it shows, click the "Download and Install" button to upgrade your iOS version to iOS 17.
This article has provided the fitting instructions to downgrade iOS 17. You can easily preserve your data and downgrade the device with the abovementioned methods. Following this, it is evident that Wondershare Dr.Fone provides the most straightforward solutions through its tool. With it, you can easily downgrade iOS 17 to 16 without complications.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
iOS 17 Topics
- iOS 17 downgrade/upgrade
- 1. Downgrade ios 17 to 16
- 2.OTA Downgrader to downgrade device
- 3.Downgrade iPadOS 17 beta/16
- 4.Downgrade Apple WatchOS 10 beta
- 5.IPSW Beta Unsigned/Signed Version
- 6.Use SHSH Blobs to downgrade
- 7.Upgrade Devices with Firmware Files
- 8.iOS 17 Developer/Beta/Official
- iOS 17 New Features
- 1. Widget to Ios 17 Lock Screen
- 2.iOS 17 Wallpaper
- 3.iOS 17 Notification Center
- 4.iOS 17 Hidden Features
- 5.iOS 17 New Emoji
- 6.Live Activities iOS 17
- 7.Fix iOS 17 Keyboard Bug
- 8.iOS 17 Haptic Keyboard Issue
- 9.iOS 17 Tips and Tricks
- 10.New Car Play of iOS 17
- 11.Customize iOS 17 Standby Mode
- 12.iOS 17 Standby Mode Not Working
- 13.Create Live Stickers on iOS 17
- 14.New Feature of iOS 17 Facetime
- iOS 17 Problems
- 1. iOS 17 Bugs, Problems and Fixes
- 2.iOS 17 Update Won't Install Issue
- 3.Camera Black Screen iOS 17 Update
- 4.iOS 17 Apps Crashing
- 5.Charging Slow After iOS 17 Update
- 6.Stuck on Verifying Update to iOS 17
- 7.Overheating After iOS 17 Update
- 8.iPhone Freezing After iOS 17 Update
- 9.iOS 17 Battery Drain
- 10.iPhone Slow After iOS 17 Update
- 11.Stuck on Estimating Time Remaining
- 12.Recover Lost Data after Update