How to Put iPhone and iPad in Recovery Mode
Sometimes, while updating your iPhone or iPad or trying to restore it, your iOS device might become unresponsive. In this case, no matter what buttons you press, nothing seems to work. This is when you need to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode. It is a bit difficult to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode; however, after reading this article, you will surely know how to enter and exit from recovery mode.
So read on to find out how to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode.
- Part 1: How to Put iPhone/iPad in Recovery Mode
- Part 2: How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
- Part 3: Wrap Up
Part 1: How to Put iPhone/iPad in Recovery Mode
How to Put iPhone in Recovery Mode (iPhone 6s and earlier):
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a cable and then put it on iTunes.
- Force restart your iPhone: Press the Sleep/Wake and the Home buttons. Don't let them go, and keep holding on till you see the Recovery screen.
- On iTunes, you'll receive a message with 'Restore' or 'Update' options. It is up to you which function you'd like to perform now. You've successfully put the iPhone in recovery mode.
How to Put iPhone 7 and later in Recovery Mode:
The process to put iPhone 7 and later in recovery mode is the same as the one given above, with one minor change. In iPhone 7 and later, the Home button is replaced by a 3D touchpad for longer lifespan. As such, instead of pressing down the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons, you need to press the Sleep/Wake and Volume down buttons to put the iPhone in recovery mode. The rest of the process remains the same.
How to put iPad in Recovery Mode:
The process to put the iPad in recovery mode is also the same as the process mentioned earlier. However, it bears mentioning that the Sleep/Wake button is on the top right corner of the iPad. As such, you need to press that Sleep/Wake button along with the Home button at the bottom center while keeping the iPad connected to the computer.
So now that you know how to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode, you can read the next part to find out how to exit recovery mode.
Part 2: How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode (iPhone 6s and earlier):
- If you're in recovery mode, then disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
- Now, press down the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple logo come back on.
- After you see the logo, release the buttons and let your iPhone boot up normally.
How to exit iPhone 7 and later recovery mode:
This is the same process as for the iPhone 6s and earlier. However, instead of pressing the Home button, you need to press the Volume Down button because in iPhone 7 and later, the Home button is rendered into a 3D touchpad.
Part 3: Wrap Up
Using the previously given methods should help you restore or update your iPhone and fix it if it's stuck. However, if it doesn't work, don't worry just yet because all hope isn't lost. There are still two other solutions left to try.
Dr.Fone - System Repair
Dr.Fone - System Repair is a third-party tool that Wondershare softwares have rolled out. Now I understand that many people are hesitant about using third-party tools with their Apple devices, however rest assured that Wondershare is an internationally acclaimed company with millions of rave reviews from happy users. iOS System Recovery is a great option to go for if Recovery Mode doesn't work because it can scan your entire iOS device for flaws or errors and fix it all in one go. It doesn't even lead to any data loss.
Fix your iPhone problems without data loss!
- Safe, easy, and reliable.
- Fix various iOS system issues like stuck in recovery mode, white Apple logo, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Fix iTunes and iPhone errors, such as iPhone error 14, error 50, error 1009, error 4005, error 27, and more.
- Work for all models of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
You can read up on how to use Dr.Fone - System Repair here >>
DFU Mode stands for Device Firmware Update, and it is a great function to help you out when your iPhone is experiencing some serious problems. It is one of the most effective solutions out there, however it completely wipes out all your data.
Before entering DFU mode however, you should backup iPhone in iTunes, iCloud, or backup using Dr.Fone - iOS Data Backup and Restore. This will help you recover your data after DFU mode wipes your iPhone clean.
If you find that your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode, you can read this article: How to Fix iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode
So now you know how to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode and then exit iPhone/iPad from recovery mode. You also know the alternatives you can look into in case recovery mode doesn't work out. Both Dr.Fone and DFU mode have their advantages, it's up to you which one you're most comfortable with. But if you use DFU mode, be certain to backup beforehand so that you don't suffer data loss. We're here to help! Et us know in the comments whether our guide helped you out and any other questions.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- iPhone Reset
- 1.1 Reset iPhone without Apple ID
- 1.2 Reset Restrictions Password
- 1.3 Reset iPhone Password
- 1.4 Reset iPhone All Settings
- 1.5 Reset Network Settings
- 1.6 Reset Jailbroken iPhone
- 1.7 Reset Voicemail Password
- 1.8 Reset iPhone Battery
- 1.9 How to Reset iPhone 5s
- 1.10 How to Reset iPhone 5
- 1.11 How to Reset iPhone 5c
- 1.12 Restart iPhone without Buttons
- 1.13 Soft Reset iPhone
- iPhone Hard Reset
- iPhone Factory Reset