How to Put iPhone and iPad in Recovery Mode
Sometimes, while updating your iPhone or iPad, or while trying to restore it, your iOS device might become unresponsive. In this case, no matter what buttons you press, nothing seems to work. This is when you need to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode. It is a bit difficult to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode, however after you've read this article you will surely know how to enter and exit from recovery mode.
So read on to find out how to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode.
- Part 1: How to Put iPhone/iPad in Recovery Mode
- Part 2: How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
- Part 3: Wrap Up
Part 1: How to Put iPhone/iPad in Recovery Mode
How to Put iPhone in Recovery Mode (iPhone 6s and earlier):
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a cable and then put on iTunes.
- Force restart your iPhone: Press the Sleep/Wake and the Home buttons. Don't let them go and keep holding on till you see the Recovery screen.
- On iTunes, you'll receive a message with the options to 'Restore' or 'Update'. It is up to you which function you'd like to perform now. You've successfully put iPhone in recovery mode.
How to Put iPhone 11 in Recovery Mode:
The process to put iPhone 11 in recovery mode is the same as the one given above, with one minor change. In iPhone 11,iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, the Home button is replaced by a 3D touch pad, so as to give it a longer lifespan. As such, instead of pressing down the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons, you need to press the Sleep/Wake and Volume down buttons to put iPhone in recovery mode. The rest of the process remains the same.
How to put iPad in Recovery Mode:
The process to put iPad in recovery mode is also the same as the process mentioned earlier. However, it bears mentioning that in iPad the Sleep/Wake button is on the top right corner of the iPad. As such you need to press that Sleep/Wake button along with the Home button at the bottom center, while keeping the iPad connected to the computer.
So now that you know how to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode, you can read the next part to find out how to exit recovery mode.
Part 2: How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode
How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode (iPhone 6s and earlier):
- If you're in recovery mode, then simply disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
- Now, press down the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously, until your see the Apple logo come back on.
- After you see the logo, release the buttons and let your iPhone boot up normally.
How to exit iPhone 11 recovery mode:
This is the same process as for iPhone 6s and earlier, however instead of pressing the Home button, you need to press the Volume Down button because in iPhone 11 the Home button is rendered into a 3D touch pad.
Part 3: Wrap Up
Using the previously given methods should help your restore or update your iPhone and fix it in case it's stuck. However, in case it doesn't work, then don't worry just yet because all hope isn't lost, there are still two other solutions left to try.
Dr.Fone - System Repair
Dr.Fone - System Repair is a third party tool that has been rolled out by Wondershare softwares. Now I understand that a lot of people are hesitant about using third party tools with their Apple devices, however rest assured that Wondershare is an internationally acclaimed company with millions of rave reviews from happy users. iOS System Recovery is a great option to go for in case Recovery Mode doesn't work because it can scan your entire iOS device for flaws or errors and fix it, all in one go. It doesn't even lead to any data loss.
Fix your iPhone problems without data loss!
- Safe, easy and reliable.
- Fix with various iOS system issues like stuck in recovery mode, white Apple logo, black screen, looping on start, etc.
- Fix iTunes errors and iPhone error, such as iPhone error 14, error 50, error 1009, error 4005, error 27 and more.
- Work for all models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
You can read up on how to use Dr.Fone - System Repair here >>
DFU Mode stands for Device Firmware Update, and it is a great function to help you out when your iPhone is experiencing some serious problems. It is one of the most effective solutions out there, however it completely wipes out all your data.
Before entering DFU mode however, you should backup iPhone in iTunes, iCloud, or backup using Dr.Fone - iOS Data Backup and Restore. This will help you recover your data after DFU mode wipes your iPhone clean.
If you find that your iPhone is stuck in recovery mode, you can read this article: How to Fix iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode
So now you know how to put iPhone/iPad in recovery mode and then how to exit iPhone/iPad from recovery mode. You also know what are the alternatives you can look into in case recovery mode doesn't work out. Both Dr.Fone and DFU mode have their advantages, it's up to you which one you're most comfortable with. But if you use DFU mode, be certain to backup before hand so that you don't suffer data loss. Do let us know down in the comments whether our guide helped you out, and if you have any other questions. We're here to help!
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- iPhone Reset
- 1.1 Reset iPhone without Apple ID
- 1.2 Reset Restrictions Password
- 1.3 Reset iPhone Password
- 1.4 Reset iPhone All Settings
- 1.5 Reset Network Settings
- 1.6 Reset Jailbroken iPhone
- 1.7 Reset Voicemail Password
- 1.8 Reset iPhone Battery
- 1.9 How to Reset iPhone 5s
- 1.10 How to Reset iPhone 5
- 1.11 How to Reset iPhone 5c
- 1.12 Restart iPhone without Buttons
- 1.13 Soft Reset iPhone
- iPhone Hard Reset
- iPhone Factory Reset