How To Remove Pre-Installed Apps on Android
Smartphones wouldn’t be nearly as entertaining, useful, and addictive if it weren’t for all the apps that keep demanding your attention. Shopping apps, socializing apps, entertainment apps, educational apps – you have everything you need right there on your phone. It’s no wonder US smartphone users check their phones as much as 256 times a day on average!
However, there’s quite a difference between the fun, usable apps you’ve downloaded and some of the annoying pre-installed apps that do nothing but take up your phone’s memory. If you’re tired of the default apps that run in the background and slow down your phone, it might be time to get rid of them.
How to uninstall pre-installed apps on Android without impairing your phone’s performance? Let’s find out.
- Part 1. What Are Pre-Installed Apps on Android?
- Part 2. Deleting Pre-Installed Apps on Android Manually
- Part 3. Removing Defaults Apps on Android Using Google Play Store
- Part 4. Uninstalling Default Apps Tips: Using Wondershare Dr.Fone
- Part 5. Disabling Pre-Installed Apps That Can’t Be Removed
- Part 6. FAQs
Part 1. What Are Pre-Installed Apps on Android?
Before deciding whether you should remove default apps on Android, you should know what they are. Default apps come pre-installed on your phone when you first buy it. Many of them are highly useful and critical to your phone’s proper functioning, such as the Contacts app, Galaxy Store app, or the ConfigAPK that handles the automatic installation of third-party apps.
However, while there are plenty of useful pre-installed apps, there’s also plenty of bloatware.
Since Google powers Android, it will come with many pre-installed Google apps, for instance – Google Drive, Gmail, Google Play Store, YouTube, and the like. Though some might not be critical to your phone’s proper functioning, they’re still considered system-level apps and could cause problems if you try to delete them.
That’s why you need to be careful when you try to uninstall pre-installed apps on Android and learn the proper way to do it.
Part 2. Deleting Pre-Installed Apps on Android Manually
When you first start looking into how to delete permanent apps on Android, you’ll find several potential options. The first one you should try is the manual option.
Depending on which app you want to delete from your phone, manually removing it could be the easiest way to approach this.
Here’s how to remove default apps from Android manually:
- Step 1: Find your phone’s Settings;
- Step 2: Tap on Apps;
- Step 3: Locate the app you want to remove;
- Step 4: Tap Uninstall > OK.
In some instances, it takes no more than this to uninstall default apps on Android. Depending on your phone, the OS version you’re using, and the app you want to remove, uninstalling manually should be no problem.
Part 3. Removing Defaults Apps on Android Using Google Play Store
On occasion, locating pre-installed apps through the settings on your phone can be more challenging than it first appears. Fortunately, there’s an alternative. Depending on the app you want to remove, you could uninstall it directly through your Google Play Store.
Here’s how to delete pre-installed apps on Android:
- Step 1: Open Google Play Store;
- Step 2: Tap on your profile picture in the upper right-hand corner;
- Step 3: Select Manage Apps and Device > Manage;
- Step 4: Select the app you want to delete;
- Step 5: In the upper right-hand corner, tap on the Bin > Uninstall.
If the app cannot be deleted, you can use the same method to avoid future updates and prevent the app from taking up more space than necessary on your phone.
Part 4. Uninstalling Default Apps Tips: Using Wondershare Dr.Fone
While your phone has many default apps that you likely never use, it’s not always a great idea to play around with them and try and delete them. Flagged as system-level apps, hitting the uninstall, delete, or force stop buttons on them could harm your phone.
You could accidentally delete important files, such as your contacts, pictures, videos, and music, with no way of getting them back.
That’s why it’s in your best interest to back up your phone before you start figuring out how to uninstall pre-installed apps. You can seamlessly back up and transfer all phone data with Wondershare Dr.Fone.
It takes just a single click to copy all your essential files and transfer them to your PC, other Android phone, or even iPhone.
Here’s how to back up your phone with Wondershare Dr.Fone:
- Step 1: Launch Wondershare Dr.Fone on your PC and connect your Android phone to it;
- Step 2: Select the files you want to transfer;
- Step 3: Select Export > Export to PC;
- Step 4: Select your save path and click OK.
Repeat the process for all file types you want to back up and transfer to ensure that they remain safe and sound when you start deleting unwanted default apps from your Android.
Part 5. Disabling Pre-Installed Apps That Can’t Be Removed
All the aforementioned guides on how to delete default apps on Android will only work if the apps can be deleted. In some instances, you cannot delete system-level apps by default. You can, however, disable them.
Here’s how to disable pre-installed apps that you can’t remove:
- Step 1: Go to your phone’s Settings;
- Step 2: Tap on Apps;
- Step 3: Select the app you want to disable;
- Step 4: Tap Disable > Disable App.
This won’t completely delete the app from your phone. However, it will minimize the space it uses and prevent the app from downloading and installing updates.
Part 6. FAQs
FAQs about WhatsApp transferring to new phone
Some pre-installed Android apps can be annoying, slowing down your phone, hindering its performance, and causing glitches. While not all of them can easily be uninstalled, many can, at the very least, be disabled to prevent future issues.
Fortunately, learning how to uninstall default apps in Android and disable them is an easy process. Whether you choose the manual method or go through the Google Play Store, getting rid of apps you don’t want takes moments.If you're looking for a more efficient way of managing your Android apps, you can check here for our recommendation of the top Android desktop managers.
Manage Android Data
- Android Manage
- Photos from Android to PC
- Messages from Android to PC
- Photos from LG Phone to PC
- Photos From HTC to PC
- Files from PC to Android
- Files from Android to Mac
- Files from Sony to Mac
- Data from Motorola to Mac
- Music from Mac to Android
- Photos from Android to Laptop
- Top Android Contact Manager
- Samsung Manage
- Files from Samsung to PC
- File from PC to Samsung
- Files from Samsung to Mac
- Photos from Samsung to Mac
- CopyTrans for Mac
- Samsung Kies Free Download
- iTunes Manage
- Music from iPhone to iTunes
- Music from iPhone App to iTunes
- Apps from iPhone to iTunes
- Purchases from iPhone to iTunes
- Music from iTunes to iPhone
- Playlists from iTunes to iPhone
- Sync iTunes Library to iPhone
- Items from iPad to iTunes
- Music from iPad to iTunes
- Music from iPod to iTunes
- Music from iPod Nano to iTunes
- from iPod Classic to iTunes
- Music from iPod shuffle to iTunes
- Music from iTunes to iPod
- Watch iTunes Movie on Android
- Music from iTunes to Android
- Audio Books from iTunes to Android
- Music from iTunes to Flash Drive
- Playlists from iTunes to Hard Drive
- iPod Won't Sync with iTunes
- Display Song Lyrics for iTunes
- Import Multiple Lyrics to iTunes
- Top Alternatives to iTunes
- iCloud Manage
- Free iCloud Backup Extractor
- Access iCloud Photos
- View Messages on iCloud
- Reset iCloud Email
- Set Up iCloud Account
- Change iCloud Account
- Download iCloud Backup
- Cancel iCloud Storage Plans
- Access iCloud Backup File
- Access iCloud from Android
- Transfer iCloud to Android
- Sync iTunes to iCloud
- WhatsApp from iCloud to Android
- Phone Companion
- Read Text Message
- Hide Text Messages
- Send Anonymous Text Message
- Extract iPhone Text Messages
- SMS Scheduler
- Receive SMS Online
- Read Text Messages Online
- Send SMS Online
- Ringtones Maker
- Best Ringtone Apps
- Download Tamil Ringtones
- Download Deezer Music
- Add Ringtones to iPhone
- Ringtones from iOS to Android
- Make Voice Memos into iPhone ringtones
- HEIC Converter
- Convert HEIC into JPEG
- View iPhone HEIC Photos on Windows
- HEIC File Viewer
- Open HEIC File on Windows
- Convert HEIC to JPG on iPhone
- Open HEIC File on Android
- Convert JPG to HEIC
- Convert HEIC to JPG on Linux
- Convert HEIC in Photoshop
- Convert HEIC to JPG on Samsung
- Convert HEIC to JPG Online
- Open HEIC Files on Mac
- HEIC File Format
- Open HEIC File Online
- Convert HEIC to JPG Windows
- EIC to PNG Conversion
- Batch Convert HEIC to JPG
- Convert HEIC to JPG iOS
- Device Diagnostics