Forgot Your Apple ID Password? Here is How to Reset Apple ID and Apple Password
Forgetting your Apple ID or password sucks, right! You are locked out of App Store, iCloud and iTunes, literally all of Apple. It becomes impossible to view your files on iCloud or to download anything from App store or iTunes if you forgot Apple ID password. Well luckily, you are not the first person to forget Apple ID or forgot iPhone password. You can rest it easy because we have prepared this guide just for you.
In this guide, we will uncover all the safeguards that Apple has put in place to help you recover your Apple account. We will walk you through 5 methods of how you can reset your password or recover your Apple ID from any web browser or iOS device.
- Part 1: A Preliminary Check
- Part 2: Recover or Reset Forgotten Apple ID or Password on iPhone/iPad
- Part 3: Recover/Reset Apple Password via Email or Security Questions
- Part 4: Reset Apple ID with no need to remember Password and Email
- Part 5: Forgot Apple ID? How to Reset Apple ID
- Part 6: Using Apple’s Two-step Verification (Forgot Apple Password)
- Part 7: Using Apple’s Two-Factor Authentication (Forgot Apple ID Password)
- Part 8: Recover lost data (Forgot Apple ID or Apple Password)
Before doing anything else, it may just happen that you have not forgotten Apple ID password but you are just making a small mistake when signing in to your account. Here is a quick checklist you should review before subjecting yourself to a meaningless hassle:
- Turn off your Caps Lock as you type in your password. Unless you have uppercase letters in your password of course.
- If you have more than one email address, you could sometimes get them mixed up so review the email you are using to sign in. You could also have made a spelling mistake in your email address.
- Lastly, your sign in attempts may be fruitless because your account has been disabled for security reasons. In this case you should receive a notification asking you to reset your password so go over your emails.
If none of the above solutions work, you can safely conclude that you forgot Apple ID password but not to worry, we’ve has got you covered. Also, before we proceed with any solutions, it's better to backup iPhone without passcode, to invoid any data loss during the process.
The following is the first method you should try out to log back into your Apple account. This is because even though it isn’t a guaranteed method, it is the simplest method by which to recover forgotten Apple ID.
- In your iOS device, go to Settings, then scroll down to "iCloud."
- Tap on the email address which is at the top of the iCloud screen.
- Tap on "Forgot Apple ID or Password?" Now you have one of two options:
- • If you forgot the Password, type your Apple ID, and click "Next."
- • If you forgot the Apple ID, then click on "Forgot your Apple ID?" You’ll have to enter your full name and details, and then you’ll receive your Apple ID.
However, this process will only work if you know either your Apple ID, or your Password, and the answers to your security questions. If not, then you can follow the next methods.
You May Like: How to Reset iPhone Without Apple ID >>
This method only works if you have a verified recovery email for your Apple account or a set of security questions that you set up. The recovery instructions can be sent to your recovery email or you can answer the security questions on the Apple website. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Go to iforgot.apple.com on your web browser.
- You should see an option for "Enter your Apple ID". Click on it and type in your Apple ID to embark on the road to recovery. If for some reason you forgot Apple ID as well, it’s not over yet! Go to the Part 4 for a recovery solution.
- Tap on "my password"
- Click the "Next" button.
- You should now see two options. Click on "Get an email" to receive the account reset instructions on your recovery email. If you have security questions that you had set up, click on "Answer Security Questions" to recover your account right there on the website.
Note: Having a recovery email for your Apple account is probably the easiest method for future recovery. If you however prefer security questions, avoid obvious questions and instead use questions that only you can get.
Part 4: Reset Apple ID with no need to remember Password and Email
If you want to try a 100% working technique to reset Apple ID, then use dr.fone – Unlock (iOS). The application would get rid of the Apple ID linked to the device without any related details like email id or password. Though, you should know that this will cause the loss of stored data on your device. Also, to make it work, your device should be running on iOS 11.4 or a previous iOS version. You can reset Apple ID using dr.fone – Unlock (iOS) easily, but make sure that you don’t use it for any illegal activity.
Unlock Disabled iPhone In 5 Minutes.
- Easy operations to unlock iPhone without the passcode.
- Removes the iPhone lock screen without relying on iTunes.
- Works for all models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Fully compatible with the latest iOS 11.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the system
Firstly, connect your iOS device to the system using a working lightning cable. Also, launch the dr.fone toolkit and visit the “Unlock” section from its home.
Now, you will be given an option to either unlock an Android or an iOS device. Simply select the option to unlock Apple ID of the device.
Step 2: Trust the computer
Whenever we connect an iOS device to a new system, we get a “Trust This Computer” prompt on it. If you get the same pop-up, then just tap on the “Trust” button. This will give the application access to your smartphone.
Step 3: Reset and restart your phone
To proceed, the application would require erasing the device. As the following prompt will appear, you can enter the on-screen displayed code to confirm your choice. Afterward, click on the “Unlock” button.
Now, go to your iPhone’s Settings > General > Reset and choose to Reset all Settings. To confirm it, you need to just enter your phone’s passcode.
Step 4: Reset Apple ID
As the device would restart, the application will follow the needed process to reset its Apple ID. You can just wait for a few minutes for the process to be completed.
When the Apple ID is unlocked, you will be notified. You can now safely remove the device and use it the way you like.
Like your password, Apple can help you recover your Apple ID or username as well. Just follow this concise guide:
- Open any web browser and go to the following URL: iforgot.apple.com.
- Click the "Forgot Apple ID" option.
- You will be prompted to enter your First Name, Last Name and your Email Address.
- You also have the option of entering up to 3 email addresses that you have used in the past.
- Click the "Next" button after which you will be presented with two other options. Click "Reset By Email" to receive the account reset instructions on your recovery email. Alternatively, click on "Answer Security Questions" to recover your Apple account right there on the website.
Also Read: 3 Ways to Recover iCloud Password >>
Two-step authentication is an old Apple security feature and it still happens to be up and running. If you had set it up for your account, you can use it if you forgot Apple ID password. Here’s how it works:
- Go to the URL iforgot.apple.com.
- Click the "Enter your Apple ID" option and type in your Apple ID to launch the recovery process.
- You should be prompted to enter your recovery key. Type it in and click "Continue".
- You should then choose a trusted recovery device that is currently available to you and click "Next".
- Apple should send a verification code to the device you selected. Enter this code as requested on the website and click "Next".
- After the verification is complete, you can now set up a new password and hopefully you’ll remember it this time.
Note: Be wary of using recovery keys! Though they are a very secure and effective method of password recovery, you could easily get permanently locked out of your Apple account. When using a recovery key, you initially need:
- An Apple ID password.
- A trusted device that you can easily access.
- The actual Recovery Key.
Now if you happen to lose any two of the above at the same time, there is no way of recovering your account and you simply have to create a new one.
This is a new account recovery option that is built into iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan. If you have enabled it for your account, you can change or reset Apple password from iforgot.apple.com or from any trusted iPad, iPhone or iPod touch if you forgot Apple ID password. The trusted device however only works if it has a passcode enabled.
How to reset Apple password on Your own iPhone
- Open iforgot.apple.com on any web browser and enter your Apple ID.
- You can now choose to "Reset from another device" or you can "Use trusted phone number". Choose either option then click "Continue".
- You should now wait for a prompt requesting access to the trusted device or phone number. Click "Allow". You can now reset your password.
Recover/reset Apple password on a trusted Apple iOS device
- On the device open Settings > iCloud.
- Select your name then select "Password & Security".
- Select "Change Password" and enter your new password. Voila! You’re now reunited with your account.
If you can’t access the trusted device, you can recover your password on any other iOS device:
Recover/reset Apple password on any other iOS device
- Open Settings > iCloud.
- Select Forgot Apple ID and Password.
- Follow the given steps to recover your account.
Now if none of these methods work and you’re completely locked out, and completely frustrated, then you should contact Apple and seek their help to regain access to your account.
If you can’t log into your Apple account even after all this hassle, and if you’re permanently locked out of your iCloud and Apple accounts, then you can try to recover iCloud password, but your biggest concern should be to save and recover as much data as possible.
Because the iCloud and Apple passwords are the same, you would also lose all the data that you’ve kept in your iCloud. However, you can retrieve it all using a third party software called dr.fone - Data Recovery (iOS).
World's 1st iPhone and iPad data recovery software.
- Fast, simple and reliable.
- Recover lost data directly from iPhone, iTunes backup and iCloud backup.
- Recover data lost due to deletion, device loss, jailbreak, iOS upgrade, etc.
- Preview and selectively recover what you want from iPhone, iTunes and iCloud backup.
- Compatible with all iOS devices.
With this guide, we now hope that you have been reunited with your estranged Apple account. To save yourself this hassle in future, create a password that is close to your heart and that pops up in your head every time you see a password field.
If you get permanently locked out of your Apple or iCloud accounts, you could also use the dr.fone solution we mentioned to recover whatever data you can.
Do leave a comment and let us know what you think about our solutions. Have they been able to help you? Do you know of other solutions to the problem of losing your Apple ID and Password? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
- Delete from iCloud
- Fix iCloud Issues
- Repeated iCloud sign-in request
- Manage multiple idevices with one Apple ID
- Fix iPhone Stuck on Updateing iCloud Settings
- iCloud Contacts Not Syncing
- iCloud Calendars Not Syncing
- iCloud Calendars Not Syncing
- iCloud Tricks
- iCloud Using Tips
- Cancel iCloud Storage Plan
- Reset iCloud Email
- iCloud Email Password Recovery
- Change iCloud Account
- Acess iCloud Photo
- Forgot Apple ID
- Upload Photos to iCloud
- iCloud Storage Full
- Best iCloud Alternatives
- Restore iCloud from Backup Without Reset
- Restore WhatsApp from iCloud
- Backup Restore Stuck
- Backup iPhone to iCloud
- iCloud Backup Messages