How to Get WhatsApp Chat History
- 1 WhatsApp Backup
- Backup WhatsApp Messages
- WhatsApp Online Backup
- WhatsApp Auto Backup
- WhatsApp Backup Extractor
- Backup WhatsApp Photos/Video
- 2 Whatsapp Recovery
- Android Whatsapp Recovery
- Restore WhatsApp Messages
- Restore WhatsApp Backup
- Restore Deleted WhatsApp Messages
- Recover WhatsApp Pictures
- Free WhatsApp Recovery Software
- Retrieve iPhone WhatsApp Messages
- 3 Whatsapp Transfer
- Move WhatsApp to SD Card
- Transfer WhatsApp Account
- Copy WhatsApp to PC
- Backuptrans Alternative
- Transfer WhatsApp Messages
- Transfer WhatsApp from Android to Anroid
- Export WhatsApp History on iPhone
- Print WhatsApp Conversation on iPhone
- Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
- Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android
- Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to iPhone
- Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to PC
- Transfer WhatsApp from Android to PC
- Transfer WhatsApp Photos from iPhone to Computer
- Transfer WhatsApp Photos from Android to Computer
Whether you are sending commercial information and attachments or interacting with family and friends, WhatsApp offers incredible features and provides a user-friendly platform for everyone. Android and iOS WhatsApp users all access essential inbuilt tools to communicate securely with individuals or groups. While you communicate through WhatsApp, you may want to keep some messages and attachments for future purposes.
Some events can lead to losing WhatsApp chat history; therefore, it is important to back up the data you need in advance. WhatsApp provides different backup options depending on the OS firmware. Similarly, WhatsApp users can use different third-party applications to move WhatsApp data to a computer. Android WhatsApp uses Google Drive, while iOS devices use iCloud as the default storage option for the backup. This article will help you to learn how to get WhatsApp chat history in different ways.
Part 1: Ways to get WhatsApp Chat history for android users
If you have ever wondered how you can get your WhatsApp chat history on android, this section highlights the possible solutions to use at your convenience. Exporting the messages, photos, voice notes, among other files on WhatsApp, will involve a few steps without much hassle. Read on to learn these various approaches to backup WhatsApp on android.
Method 1: Backup WhatsApp chat history to Google Drive
As mentioned earlier, android devices back up and restore WhatsApp content through Google Drive by default. If you lose your WhatsApp, you can easily restore the messages and attachments on any device without hassle. When using backing up WhatsApp data to Google Drive, you will only restore the recent WhatsApp backup. This means the recent data will overwrite the existing file automatically. When ready to backup WhatsApp data to Google Drive, follow the following steps:
Step 1: Launch the WhatsApp application on your android phone and go to the settings. Find the "Chats" option and click on the "Chat Backup."
Step 2: From this section, tap on "Back Up" to save the immediate backup of your WhatsApp messages.
Step 3: Further, you can select the appropriate frequency for an automatic WhatsApp backup. The options include daily, weekly, monthly, and custom options to set your favorite time to backup WhatsApp data to Google Drive. Adjust other necessary settings as well to ensure WhatsApp backup to Google Drive is completed correctly. Link the Android device with the Google account you intend to save the WhatsApp chats.
Step 4: To restore the WhatsApp backup from your Google Drive, you have to reinstall WhatsApp and set up your account afresh if you are using the same phone.
Step 5: While setting up your WhatsApp account, the android device will automatically detect the WhatsApp backup file in your Google Drive. You will get a prompt to restore the WhatsApp backup. In this case, tap the "Restore" button. Wait for the device to retrieve the data for a short while.
When carrying out the above process, ensure that the Google account used during the WhatsApp backup process is used for the recovery process.
Method 2: Backup WhatsApp chats to local backups
Besides the Google Drive option for saving your WhatsApp chats, you can automatically backup with local backups. Keep in mind that WhatsApp saves your data automatically to the device"s local storage each day. Backing up to Google Drive also leaves a copy on the local storage. With that said, WhatsApp will always preserve the WhatsApp copy on your phone within 7 days. The following are steps on how you can access the WhatsApp backup file on the local storage.
Step 1: Open the file manager or explorer application on your android device.
Step 2: Visit the internal storage>WhatsApp>Databases. You can also visit the SD Card>Databases; it will depend on where you had saved the WhatsApp backup. Opening these folders will help you access the WhatsApp backup file on your phone.
Step 3: You can copy the WhatsApp backup file and paste it on another phone if you which.
Step 4: You will be required to rename the backup file and eliminate the date section. For instance, the backup file "msgstore-yyyy-mm-dd.1.db.crypt12" should be changed to "msgstore.db.crypt12".
Step 5: To restore the backup file, uninstall the WhatsApp application and reinstall it to begin the setup process. The device will automatically detect the backup file and prompt you to restore it. Here, you click the "Restore" option to retrieve your WhatsApp chats.
Method 3: Export WhatsApp chat history to pc
It is possible to transfer your WhatsApp data to a pc using the phone memory. The method basically involves using the internal memory of the android device to move the WhatsApp backup file to a computer. Follow the guidelines highlighted below to transfer your WhatsApp data directly to a pc.
Step 1: Use a working USB cable to connect the android phone with your PC.
Step 2: Once the connection is established, go to your phone's internal memory and open the WhatsApp folder. Please copy the entire folder and paste it on any drive on your computer.
Step 3: Further, open the WhatsApp folder and select the listed messages and choose the "Export to PC" option to initiate the transfer process. Wait for a few minutes, and all the messages will be stored on your PC with the extension.SME.
Step 4: The .SME file format is incompatible; hence cannot be read directly on your computer. However, you can adopt third-party software to ensure the WhatsApp messages are readable.
Part 2: Ways to get WhatsApp Chat history for iOS users
More like in android devices, WhatsApp data loss can occur on your iPhone in various events such as iOS upgrades, accidental deletion, among other unexpected reasons. In this case, you will need to backup all messages and their attachments in advance to avoid data loss. iPhones usually use iCloud as the default location to save WhatsApp backup files. However, you can use iTunes and email chat options to backup WhatsApp conversations to your computer. Here are the solutions you can use to get your WhatsApp chats on your iPhone.
Method 1: Get WhatsApp chat history with iCloud
iCloud is a native feature to perform WhatsApp backup on iPhones without using third-party applications. Apple provides iPhone users 5GB of free space on iCloud to save WhatsApp data, among other files on the device. If the data exceeds the dedicated iCloud storage, you will be required to purchase more space. iCloud is created for iOS devices only, making it difficult to retrieve WhatsApp backup on a different device. You will definitely require a third-party tool to transfer WhatsApp from iCloud to another phone. Similarly, you might experience slightly different approaches when enabling iCloud backup for WhatsApp on different iOS versions. These steps will guide you to get WhatsApp chats on your iPhone using iCloud.
1. To backup WhatsApp data, first, launch the WhatsApp application on your iPhone.
2. Go to the settings section, click the "Chat Settings", and then the "Chat Backup" options. Some versions will require opening "settings" then directly access the "Backup" options.
3. Here, you should tap on the "Back up Now" option and schedule the most appropriate frequency for automatic WhatsApp backup to iCloud. This will automatically take your WhatsApp conversations to iCloud.
4. To restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone, launch the WhatsApp application on the target device and set up your account. If you are already using WhatsApp, uninstall and install the application again.
5. When setting up your account, provide the verification code, and WhatsApp will notify you to restore the previous backup from iCloud. Click the "Restore Chat History" option or the "Restore Backup" option to proceed.
6. Wait for a short while as the device fetches the WhatsApp backup from iCloud. Make sure the device is connected to stable internet and that you linked it with the same iCloud account used during the backup process. You will restore all your WhatsApp chats from iCloud to the target iPhone with that said and done.
Method 2: Get WhatsApp chat history with iTunes
iTunes is an alternative to help iPhone users backup WhatsApp chat history. The application is helpful to manage and backup the entire iPhone content. Since using the iTunes approach cannot selectively backup WhatsApp content only, many users can find it complicated to save the backup compared to other methods. Nevertheless, you can adopt this method when you intend to move your WhatsApp and other content to another device. Here are the steps to follow.
1. Download an updated iTunes version on your computer and connect your iPhone to the system to perform an iPhone WhatsApp backup.
2. Visit the devices section to select your iPhone and then go to the summary tab.
3. Find the backups option and tap on the "Back up now option. Here, you should ensure you have selected "This Computer" to ensure the backup is saved on the local system instead of the iCloud services.
4. The backup process will initiate and would save your WhatsApp backup file on the computer. The WhatsApp backup will be a part of the iPhone backup file, and you will definitely require an iTunes backup extractor to restore the data.
Method 3: Get WhatsApp chat history with email chat
iPhone users can as well email WhatsApp chats for backup. In this case, you can choose to backup certain WhatsApp chats of individual or group conversations. The approach is a native solution on WhatsApp and can be implemented on an android device as well. However, you are limited to email a limited amount of media since most email services have restrictions on the maximum size of attachments to send. Here are the steps to email your WhatsApp chats for backup.
1. Launch the WhatsApp application on your iPhone and choose the chat you want to save.
2. Swipe left to view chat options and Tap "more." Choose "email chat" or "email conversations" in some versions.
3. Choose whether to attach media or not in the WhatsApp backup.
4. Enter the email details you want to save the backup and send.
5. The backup process can be tedious and time-consuming as you have to select every chat you want to send to email individually.
Part 3: Get WhatsApp chat history with Dr.Fone - WhatsApp Transfer (the best alternative)
When you consider the traditional ways to get your WhatsApp messages, you may find complicated and confusing approaches. As such, you need to explore a less complicated yet secure solution to backup WhatsApp to PC. Dr.Fone - WhatsApp Transfer is a third-party tool to enable both android and iOS WhatsApp users to backup WhatsApp data to a computer and directly move it to another mobile device with one click. Here are steps to back up WhatsApp messages with Dr.Fone - WhatsApp Transfer.
- Install Dr.Fone on your computer after downloading it from the official website. Open to view the main window.
Transfer WhatsApp chat history from one phone to another
- Transfer WhatsApp to a new phone with the same phone number.
- Allow previewing WhatsApp backup details for selective restoration.
- Export WhatsApp backup data to PC and view it as PDF/HTML.
- Support all iPhone and Android devices.
- Select the "WhatsApp Transfer" module from the main window and then choose the WhatsApp option in the next window.
- Connect your mobile device and ensure the system has detected it before hitting the "Backup WhatsApp messages" button.
- The backup process will begin automatically; wait for a short while as you ensure your device is well connected to the computer.
- You will get a notification while the backup process is completed successfully. Click the "view" button to see the backup. That"s it; your WhatsApp chats and attachments will be saved on your computer.
It is important to learn the possible ways you can adapt to backup and restore WhatsApp chat history. This article has given detailed information on the best solutions that you can use to meet your requirements. While some approaches can involve complicated procedures, the steps highlighted under each method can be helpful if followed correctly. To avoid the hassle, you can opt for Dr.Fone - WhatsApp Transfer to have a trouble-free experience. The software works perfectly for Android and iOS devices and is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.