Samsung ROM Download & Install: The Definitive Guide
Welcome to the most complete Samsung ROM guide on the internet!
Every time you turn on and load up your Samsung smartphone, your device is loaded up the operating system that allows you access to all the features and makes everything work. As you may have noticed with some Android phones, the operating system is slightly different depending on the make and model of your phone, and this is because the devices are using a different ROM.
‘ROM’ stands for ‘read-only memory’ and is basically referring to this operating system. However, unlike iOS devices, Samsung devices, like all Android devices, have the unique ability to update their ROMS, or install a different version altogether, such as a custom ROM.
There are plenty of reasons why you might be interested in installing a ROM yourself. Perhaps, you’ve damaged your phone, downloaded a virus, or you’ve encountered an error you can’t seem to fix. Instead of chucking the phone away or having to pay out for a new one, you can instead boot up a new Samsung stock ROM to simply replace the old damaged one.
If you’ve ever had to reinstall Windows on your computer because you’ve come across an error in the code, this is the same process, just on a Samsung smartphone. However, the world of ROMs doesn’t stop there.
Over the years, groups of people have been working on developing their own custom ROMs. This provides Samsung users with a much more enhanced or specialized experience when using their device, and there are now plenty out there for you to choose from.
With all this in mind, today we’re going to explore everything you need to know about Samsung stock ROMs to the most popular and most creative custom ROMs. We’re going to detail exactly how you can get access to these ROMs, how you use them, and which custom ones are best for you, all in this definitive guide.
Let’s jump straight into it!
Part 1. Why You Need to Download and Install an Official/Custom ROM on Samsung
There are so many reasons why you might like to install a new ROM on your Samsung smartphone device. As we mentioned briefly above, if you’ve damaged your phone, perhaps having downloaded and installed a virus, or you’ve installed something, and the phone has bugged out and is now rendered unusable, this doesn’t necessarily mean your phone has to stay unusable.
Instead, you can easily replace the operating system, practically giving your smartphone a hard reset back to factory setting. This will, of course, overwrite any bugs in your system and will remove any viruses. Your phone will be back to a clean setting where you can start over again. Hey, you might lose everything, but it beats paying out for expensive repairs or a new phone entirely!
On the other hand, there’s the more creative side of installing Samsung ROM downloads. Custom ROMs come in all different shapes and sizes, but each one aims to improve your smartphone experience in some way. As you may have noticed, when you first get your phone, it’s loaded with programs and apps you might not necessarily want or need.
Behind the scenes of your phone’s operating system, there could be plenty of features and functions that aren’t really providing you with any value. Instead, a custom ROM can remove all these with a new operating system, ensuring your device is much faster, has a longer battery life, and is a lot more responsive.
You can also force install the latest version of Android if your device is being updated for a while, but some other coder has taken the time to make it compatible, or completely overhaul the operating system into something completely different.
As you can see, there could be endless reasons why you’d want to install a Samsung stock ROM, or a custom edition. Fortunately, if you find yourself in this position, the process of changing your ROM is probably easier than you think.
Part 2. One-Click To Get And Install Samsung ROM Download
If you’re looking for an easy way to replace the official Samsung stock ROM of your device with a clean, official version of the ROM, using an app called Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) is the best way to do so. Firstly, the software is capable of automatically scanning your device to identify the make, brand, and model, as well as the ROM version, before then downloading and installing the exact ROM you need, as well as being about to guarantee this is the ROM that will be compatible with your device. Easy.
The process of replacing your ROM has also been simplified as much as possible which ensures that practically anybody can update the ROM on their Samsung device, regardless of how little technical skills they have.
You practically plug in your device, click three buttons, type in some information, and the software will take care of the rest! But, more on the flash ROM Android process later. Before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s take a look at what else Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) has to offer.
Android repair tool to download and flash Samsung stock ROM
- Get Samsung stock ROM downloaded to flash directly to phone.
- Can fix any error your Samsung device is experiencing in just one click!
- All Samsung devices supported, including all carriers, versions, and even latest models
- Every part of the process is automatic so you can fix everything quickly
- A 24/7 customer support team always on hand if you need them
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Use Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) Effectively
As mentioned before, Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) is so simple; the entire process has been broken down into just three simple steps. Here they are so you can get started right away!
Step 1 – Getting Started with Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android)
Make your way over to the Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) website, and click the download button on the top right-hand side. You can install the software for either your Mac or Windows computer.
Once downloaded, install the software to your device by following the onscreen instructions in the wizard. When everything has installed, restart your computer and open the new software.
Step 2 – Preparing to Flash ROM Android
Now that you’re on the main menu of the software, connect your Samsung device to the ROM flasher using the official USB data cable. On the main menu, select the ‘System Repair’ option, followed by ‘Android Repair’ in the menu on the left-hand side, and then click ‘Start.’
On the next screen, input the data for your device, including the make, model, carrier, and country you’re in. This is to guarantee the information going into the device is accurate. If you’re unsure of any of the answers, contact your carrier.
Step 3 – Installing Your New ROM
Once all this flash ROM Android process is complete, you’re basically ready to go!
Firstly, you’ll need to follow the onscreen instructions you put your phone into DFU mode. This is also known as ‘Recovery Mode,’ and the process to do this will depend on whether your device has a home button or not. However, all instructions and pictures to guide you through the process will be displayed on-screen.
Once your computer detects your phone has entered this mode, the software will then start to download the latest firmware ROM from the official Samsung source. Once downloaded, the ROM will be automatically installed to your device.
Make sure your device is not disconnected during any stage of this process because you risk causing an unrepairable error. You’ll receive a notification when the process is complete and when to disconnect your device. Once disconnected, you can use your phone as normal!
Part 3. Top 5 sources to find Samsung ROMs to Download
While you can replace your current Samsung operating system with the official ROM, some of you may be interested in some of the custom ROMs available to help you enhance your phone’s experience, as well as unlocking brand-new features, functions, and capabilities.
However, you’ll need to make sure you’re downloading high-quality ROMs that work, and that you’re downloading them from legitimate places. To help you out here, here’s a list of the top five sources where you can find the best custom ROMs.
1 – SamMobile
If you’re looking for basically any Samsung ROM that has ever been released, regardless of what version or model you need, or what country the ROM is based on, SamMobile has the complete database with everything you need.
Here, you’ll find most carriers and providers are supported, and there’s a seemingly endless number of pages full of high-quality ROMs with fast download times. You’ll also find that even the latest Samsung S10 models are supported.
- A wealth of ROMS to download covering a range of models, versions, and supported countries
- Regularly updated with new Samsung stock ROM downloads as they are made available
- Fast download times and easy accessibility and navigation
- Multiple country Samsung stock ROM downloads are supported
- Ideal for European phone users (or those looking to flash their phone to a European device)
- No custom Samsung stock ROM downloads to add functionality to your phone
- No easy search features to download ROM Samsung you want
- Not all Samsung devices are supported
2 – Updato
Updato is another fantastic resource if you’re looking for practically any Samsung stock ROM that has ever been released. The database here is extensive, to say the least, and all ROMs are official releases. While you won’t find any custom ROM stock Samsung here, if you’re looking to overhaul your device completely, Updato is a great place to start.
- High-quality search features to find the exact ROM stock Samsung you’re looking for
- All ROMs are official releases, so you know you’re getting a fully functional ROM
- One of the fastest download servers to download ROM Samsung updates in the world
- Download ROM Samsung flashes available from over 500 different regions of the world
- No custom ROMs available here
- Only ROM stock Samsung available
3 – Samsung Updates
As the title suggests, Samsung Updates is an archive of all the other official Samsung ROMs that have been released over the years, very similar to the two websites we’ve listed above. While this website takes a classic archive approach to hosting ROMs, the site is easy to use and download from, and you’re sure to find what you’re looking for.
- Most official ROM updates for all models available and from many different regions
- All information detailed to help you quickly find the compatible ROM for your device
- Multiple new firmware’s are added to the website every single day
- A rather basic website with no real dedicated search or filtering features
- The selection of Samsung official ROMs is limited compared with other websites
- No custom ROMs hosted here; only official ones
4 – XDA Developers
If you’re looking to take your Samsung device to the next level and unlock your phone’s full potential using a custom ROM, XDA Developers should easily be the first place to check out. The site is renowned for being the internet’s hub for custom ROMs, no matter what device you’re using, and you’re sure to find an active community that has everything you need to get started.
- Most complete database of custom ROMs on the internet
- An active community to help and support you throughout the process
- New ROM updates and firmwares added to the website all the time
- Fast download servers and easy website navigation
5 – Samsung Firmware
If you’re looking for a pleasant ROM update experience while finding the Samsung ROMs best suited for your device, Samsung Firmware is a great place to start.
While this ROM update website doesn’t seem to have anything the latest devices, including the S8+, there are plenty of ROMs from all over the world here, all of which are easy to find using the built-in search bar on the homepage.
- Lots of Samsung official ROMs to choose from including ones from all other the world
- Easy to find the ROMs you’re looking for
- The website is extremely fast and easy to use
- Doesn’t have Samsung official ROMs for the latest Samsung devices
- Lots of ads and dead links to broken pages
Part 4. How To Install The Downloaded Samsung ROM
If you’re not using the Dr.Fone - System Repair (Android) software to flash an official ROM to your device, but you want to use your own ROM, or a custom ROM, you’re going to need to install the ROM differently. Easily the most effective and easiest way to do this is using a ROM flasher known as Odin.
Note: ‘flashing’ refers to installing the ROM on your device. It’s just another term for it.
Odin is a powerful ROM flashing tool to help you flash practically any ROM you want to install to your Samsung device. The process has been made as simple as possible, and it’s easy to see why it’s one of the most popular ROM flasher tools available.
However, you’ll still need to make sure you get the process right to prevent the risk of accidentally bricking your device and rendering your device useless. Below is the complete guide on how to use it alongside everything you need to know.
Preparations Before Using Odin
Before you start using Odin, you’ll want to make some preparations to ensure you can go from start to finish without a hitch. Fortunately, you can follow this guide, and you won’t go wrong!
Before you start, you’ll need to make sure you have access to;
- Your Samsung device
- A specific ROM or firmware file
- The official Odin installation file
- All the relevant Samsung drivers installed on your computer
- Make sure you back up your device with all your personal files before continuing
- USB debugging mode needs to be enabled on your device
Once you’ve done all these things, you’ll be ready to start using the Odin software to flash a ROM to your device. Here’s how;
Step 1 – Making the Final Preparations
Firstly, make a new folder on your computer to host all your files listed above in. This will make it easier to ensure that everything is organized, and you don’t lose anything. Start with the ROM/firmware file that you downloaded from one of the sources above into this folder.
Now open your Odin tool, making sure that you’re running in your computer’s administrator mode. Restart your Samsung device in DFU/Download mode (following the same instructions as Step 3 when using the Dr.Fone - System Repair tool).
Step 2 – Connecting Everything Up
Once your device has booted into Download Mode, connect it to your computer using the official USB data cable. Odin will now automatically detect that your phone has been connected, and all the relevant information will be displayed in the text boxes.
On the Odin screen, make sure that the ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F. Start Time’ options are ticked, and the rest of the options are not. Under the files tab on the right-hand side, you’ll want to check the ‘AP’ box, and then locate the firmware file we unzipped in the first step (which should be in the same folder you left it in)
Step 3 – Starting to Flash ROM with Odin
Once you’re ready to start, click the ‘Start’ button and the flashing process will begin. This entire process will take between 5 – 10 minutes, so it’s ideal to leave your computer, so you don’t actually press anything, nor disconnect either device.
When the flash ROM with Odin process is complete, you’ll see a green ‘PASS’ image appear in the Odin window. When this is shown, you’ll be able to disconnect your device and use it like normal! That’s all there is to it when it comes to learning how to flash ROM with Odin!
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- Samsung Phone Issues
- 1. Fix Samsung Camera Failed
- 2. Fix Samsung Phone Hang
- 3. Fix Samsung S7 Won't Turn On
- 4. Fix Samsung Brick
- 5. Fix Samsung S6 Won't Turn On
- 6. Fix Samsung Keyboard Stopped
- 7. Fix Samsung S5 Won't Turn On
- 8. Fix Samsung Pay Not Working
- 9. Samsung ROM Download & Install
- 10. Samsung Firmware Download
- 11. Fix Samsung Sudden Death
- 12. Fix Samsung Stuck on Boot Screen
- 13. Fix Samsung Frozen on Startup
- 14. Full Guide to Fix 'Samsung Galaxy Phone Keeps Restarting'
- 15. Fix Samsung S3 Won't Turn On
- 16. Fix Samsung J7 Problems
- 17. Fix Samsung S10 Gone Dead
- 18. Fix Samsung S10 Won't Turn On
- 19. Fix Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Screen Issues
- 1. Fix Unresponsive Touchscreen
- 2. Fix Black Screen After Dropping
- 3. Resolve Screen Stuck on Boot Issue
- 4. Fix Samsung Fold Screen Issues
- 5. Fix Samsung Black Screen
- 6. Fix Samsung Screen Not Working
- 7. Fix Half of Screen Not Working
- 8. Fix Samsung Stuck on Bootloop
- 9. Fix Samsung Screen Blacked Out
- 10. Fix Screen Blacked During a Call
- 11. Fix Samsung Stuck on the Screen
- 12. Solve Samsung TV Blackout
- 13. Fix Samsung Flip Screen Not Working
- 14. Fix Screen Won't Respond
- Samsung Tablet Issues
- 1. Fix Samsung Tablet Problems
- 2. Fix Samsung Stuck on Logo
- 3. Fix Samsung Tablet Won't Turn On
- 4. Fix Touch Screen Not Working
- Samsung Update
- 1. Flash a Samsung phone
- 2. Samsung Mobile Software Update
- 3. Update Samsung Kies for Mac
- 4. Update Samsung to Android Oreo
- 5. Update Samsung Kies on PC
- 6. Update Android 6.0 for Samsung
- Samsung Useful Tricks
- 1. Remove Google Account Bypass
- 2. Hard/Factory Reset Samsung
- 3. Samsung Root Software
- 4. Transfer Files from Samsung to PC
- 5. Top 5 Samsung Kies Alternatives
- 6. Bypass Samsung Lock Screen Pin
- 7. SIM Network Unlock PIN
- 8. Transfer Whatsapp to iPhone
- 9. Samsung Auto Backup
- 10. Recover File on Samsung