Everything You Need to Know About Samsung Phone Updates
Whether you’re a repeat Samsung customer or using your first Samsung phone, you must have received a Samsung update at least once. Are you wondering if and how to install a software update on Samsung? Find the answers below.
You’ll also discover the best solutions for fixing your phone after a failed Samsung phone update – which happens more commonly than you think.
What Is a Samsung Update?
A Samsung update replaces existing software with a new and improved version. It can contain bug fixes, OS upgrades, and security patches for Android-related and Samsung-specific vulnerabilities.
Many Samsung phones are eligible for four-year software upgrades (Android OS and One UI) and five-year security updates (monthly, quarterly, or biannually, depending on the device). That makes Samsung one of the best providers that put privacy and security first.
Let’s see why Samsung updates are essential for your phone to understand why you should immediately install them when they appear.
Why Are Samsung Software Updates Important?
The essential benefits of Samsung phone updates include the following:
- New features– Some Samsung updates install a new software version with an improved user interface and more functionalities.
- Improved security– Most updates include security patches to eliminate Android OS or Samsung-related vulnerabilities, reducing the risk of malicious attacks.
- Protecting personal information– Outdated software makes your phone more vulnerable to cybersecurity threats, endangering personal and sensitive data. Installing the latest update means getting a robust system with top-notch privacy and security settings.
- Better performance– Regular Samsung updates streamline your OS and firmware, making your phone faster, prolonging the battery’s life, and improving the camera, among other features.
- Bug fixes– Software bugs and other coding errors can cause app crashes and other problems (not necessarily security-related). Samsung updates can iron out those problems, ensuring a smooth experience.
Now that you know why you should install every new software update on Samsung, it’s time to learn how.
How to Install a Software Update on Samsung
You can install a Samsung phone update in several ways, including with Smart Switch or a third-party app. The fastest method is in the palm of your hand – your Samsung phone.
Here’s how to install a software update on Samsung:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Software update.
- Step 2: Tap Download and install > Install now.
Here’s how to install a Samsung security update:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Biometrics and security.
- Step 2: Tap Security update.
Is your phone refusing to update? Find the solution below.
Can a Samsung Phone Update Fail?
A Samsung update can fail for various reasons, including insufficient storage, an interrupted internet connection, a low battery, or a dislodged SIM card disconnecting your phone from the carrier network.
Jailbreaking your phone to get root access and remove software restrictions can also cause a Samsung update to fail.
Fortunately, you can fix the issue, regardless of the cause. Here’s how.
How to Repair Your Phone After a Failed Samsung Update
Whatever caused a failed Samsung update, try the familiar fixes like checking your internet connection, restarting your phone, ensuring your SIM card is in place, freeing up storage space, and clearing the cache. If the problem persists, use the methods below.
Try Installing the Samsung Update in Safe Mode
Samsung’s Safe mode is a diagnostic feature that reduces your phone’s functionality, enabling you to update the software. Here’s how to switch to it:
- Step 1: Press and hold the Powerand Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- Step 2: Tap Power off.
- Step 3: Once the screen goes black, repeat Step 1 and wait for the Samsung logo to appear.
- Step 4: Release only the Powerbutton, holding Volume Down until your phone turns on with Safe mode in the bottom left corner.
- Step 5: Tap Settings > Update software > Download and install > Install now.
If this method doesn’t work, try a factory reset.
Return Your Phone to Factory Settings
A factory reset often solves many update-related problems. However, it deletes all your data. Here’s how to create a backup beforehand:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Accounts and backup.
- Step 2: Tap Back up datain the desired section, including Samsung Cloud, Google Drive, and Smart Switch.
- Step 3: Select everything you wish to save and tap Back up now.
Now that your data is safe, it’s time to return your phone to factory settings:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > General Management.
- Step 2: Tap Reset > Factory data reset.
- Step 3: Confirm your choice by tapping Reset.
If this method doesn’t bear fruit, it might be time to repair your phone’s system. Here’s an excellent software to try.
Repair the System
Wondershare Dr.Fone is an Android system repair tool for fixing various issues, including the boot loop, the black screen of death, and a failed software update. It supports 1,000+ Android models and can quickly get your Samsung phone up and running.
However, we recommend backing up your phone before using this app because it might erase your data.
After downloading and installing Wondershare Dr.Fone on your PC or Mac, launch the app and follow these steps:
- Step 1: Go to Toolbox > System Repair.
- Step 2: Click Androidand connect your Samsung phone to your computer.
- Step 3: Click Start.
- Step 4: Once the program detects your device’s brand, select the correct name, model, country, and carrier. Tick the warning checkbox and hit Next.
- Step 5: Follow the on-screen instructions to put your Samsung phone in download mode and click Next.
- Step 6: Once the firmware downloads, click Fix Now, enter the provided code in the designated box, and hit Confirm.
- Step 7: Wondershare Dr.Fone will repair your system within ten minutes. Click Doneto exit the program or Try again if the process has failed.
You shouldn’t encounter problems if you’ve reset factory settings before using Wondershare Dr.Fone. Although not a requirement, it can cause a failed repair.
Samsung updates are crucial for improving security and performance, so don’t postpone them. Install the latest software update on your Samsung phone immediately after release to enjoy better functionality and safeguard your data.
However, if your phone refuses to update, try the proven fixes above, which work on any Samsung model. Wondershare Dr.Fone might be the best because it reinstalls the latest firmware, eliminating the cause of a failed Samsung update.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- Samsung Phone Issues
- 1. Fix Samsung Camera Failed
- 2. Fix Samsung Phone Hang
- 3. Fix Samsung S7 Won't Turn On
- 4. Fix Samsung Brick
- 5. Fix Samsung S6 Won't Turn On
- 6. Fix Samsung Keyboard Stopped
- 7. Fix Samsung S5 Won't Turn On
- 8. Fix Samsung Pay Not Working
- 9. Samsung ROM Download & Install
- 10. Samsung Firmware Download
- 11. Fix Samsung Sudden Death
- 12. Fix Samsung Stuck on Boot Screen
- 13. Fix Samsung Frozen on Startup
- 14. Full Guide to Fix 'Samsung Galaxy Phone Keeps Restarting'
- 15. Fix Samsung S3 Won't Turn On
- 16. Fix Samsung J7 Problems
- 17. Fix Samsung S10 Gone Dead
- 18. Fix Samsung S10 Won't Turn On
- 19. Fix Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Screen Issues
- 1. Fix Unresponsive Touchscreen
- 2. Fix Black Screen After Dropping
- 3. Resolve Screen Stuck on Boot Issue
- 4. Fix Samsung Fold Screen Issues
- 5. Fix Samsung Black Screen
- 6. Fix Samsung Screen Not Working
- 7. Fix Half of Screen Not Working
- 8. Fix Samsung Stuck on Bootloop
- 9. Fix Samsung Screen Blacked Out
- 10. Fix Screen Blacked During a Call
- 11. Fix Samsung Stuck on the Screen
- 12. Solve Samsung TV Blackout
- 13. Fix Samsung Flip Screen Not Working
- 14. Fix Screen Won't Respond
- Samsung Tablet Issues
- 1. Fix Samsung Tablet Problems
- 2. Fix Samsung Stuck on Logo
- 3. Fix Samsung Tablet Won't Turn On
- 4. Fix Touch Screen Not Working
- Samsung Update
- 1. Flash a Samsung phone
- 2. Samsung Mobile Software Update
- 3. Update Samsung Kies for Mac
- 4. Update Samsung to Android Oreo
- 5. Update Samsung Kies on PC
- 6. Update Android 6.0 for Samsung
- Samsung Useful Tricks
- 1. Remove Google Account Bypass
- 2. Hard/Factory Reset Samsung
- 3. Samsung Root Software
- 4. Transfer Files from Samsung to PC
- 5. Top 5 Samsung Kies Alternatives
- 6. Bypass Samsung Lock Screen Pin
- 7. SIM Network Unlock PIN
- 8. Transfer Whatsapp to iPhone
- 9. Samsung Auto Backup
- 10. Recover File on Samsung