Apple Handoff Not Working? Here's How To Fix It!
Apple Handoff is a feature that allows you to transition tasks between Apple devices. The feature works on iPhones, iPads, and Macs. It streamlines productivity by letting you start an activity on one device and continue it on another. You can compose an email on your iPhone and then pick up where you left off on your Mac.
Despite its convenience, users encounter issues with Handoff not working as expected. These can range from failed device communication to compatibility problems. The article delves into the common challenges faced with Handoff not working on Mac, iPhone, or iPad. Read below to learn more.
Part I. How Does Handoff Work and What Are Its Prerequisites?
Apple Handoff is a feature designed to integrate your Apple devices. It offers two main functionalities: document continuity and the universal clipboard.
- Document c Apple Handoff enables task continuity across devices. For example, unlocking your iPhone shows an icon while reading an article on your iPad. Tapping it opens the same article, ensuring a smooth cross-device reading experience.
- Universal clipboard. Handoff also enables a universal clipboard. It allows you to copy text, images, or files on one device and paste them on another. It eliminates the need for intermediaries like email or messaging apps.
For Handoff to function, here are the prerequisites:
All involved devices must be Apple products with compatible hardware and running up-to-date operating systems.
Here is a list of compatible devices for Handoff:
- iPhone 5 or later
- iPad 4th generation or newer
- iPad Pro (all models)
- iPad mini 1 or newer
- iPad Air 1 or newer
- iPod touch 5th generation or newer
To use Handoff, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch should have iOS 8 or a later version installed.
Handoff is supported on the following Mac models:
- MacBook models introduced in 2015 or later
- MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2012 or later
- Mac mini models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac models introduced in 2012 or later
- All iMac Pro models
- Mac Pro models introduced in 2013 or later
Ensure your Mac runs OS X Yosemite or a more recent operating system.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be enabled and active on all devices to establish connections.
Same Apple ID
The devices should be signed in using the same Apple ID to enable data synchronization across them.
Handoff relies on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to determine proximity between devices. They need to be close to each other for Handoff to work.
Part II. 5 Quick Ways To Troubleshoot Handoff Issues
Apple Handoff is a fantastic feature that enhances productivity. However, you may encounter problems with Handoff not working as expected. This section explores troubleshooting methods to resolve Handoff not working on Mac, iPhone, or iPad.
Method 1. Restart Handoff on All Devices
Ensure Handoff is enabled on iOS and Mac.
- On iPhone/iPad: Go to Settings> General > AirPlay & Handoff and toggle on Handoff.
- On Mac: Open System Preferences> General and check the box for Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud device
Method 2. Make Sure All Apple Devices Are Connected to the Same Network
Handoff relies on devices being on the same Wi-Fi network to work. Check that all your Apple devices are connected to the same network. If not, switch to the same network for all devices and try Handoff again.
Method 3. Sign Out and Sign In on iCloud
Signing out and back into iCloud can refresh your device's connection to iCloud services, including Handoff.
- On iPhone/iPad. Go to Settings> [your name] > Sign Out. Sign back in with your Apple ID.
- On Mac.Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID. Click Sign Out. Sign back in with your Apple ID.
Method 4. Reset Network Settings
Sometimes, Handoff not working on your Apple device can be related to network settings. Resetting network settings can help resolve connectivity problems.
- On iPhone/iPad. Go to Settings> General > Reset. Tap Reset Network Settings.
Note: This will remove your saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords. So, prepare to re-enter them.
Method 5. Erase the Apple Watch and Repair It
If you own an Apple Watch and Handoff isn't working, you might need to repair your watch with your iPhone. Here's how.
- Step 1: Open the Watch app on your iPhone. Tap on your watch. Select "i" (information) next to your watch. Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Step 2: Set up your Apple Watch again by following the on-screen instructions. After repairing your Apple Watch, check if Handoff works as expected.
If these troubleshooting steps do not resolve your Handoff issues, there may be more severe problems with your iPhone's operating system. In such cases, third-party software like Dr.Fone System Repair can be a helpful solution. The software can diagnose and repair issues in your iPhone's OS that might prevent Handoff from working.
Part III. Professional Choice: Wondershare Dr.Fone System Repair
When Apple Handoff isn't working on your iPhone, the solution lies in Wondershare Dr.Fone System Repair. The software can tackle a wide range of iOS issues, including Handoff problems, without compromising your data.
4,624,541 people have downloaded it
Repair iOS System Errors Without data loss.
Dr.Fone System Repair can restore your Handoff experience and keep your iOS devices running smoothly. Below are its key features.
- Fix other iOS problems.Fone System Repair doesn't stop at Handoff issues. It can solve a lot of common and complex iOS problems. Dr. Fone has you covered, whether it's device stability, app crashes, or network connectivity.
- Fix without data loss.The standout feature is its ability to repair iOS without data loss. Your apps, photos, and personal files remain intact, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
- Easy & simple process.Fone's user-friendly interface makes the troubleshooting process a breeze. You don't need to be a tech expert to navigate and use its tools.
Part IV. Steps To Fix Handoff With Wondershare Dr.Fone System Repair
In three simple steps, Dr.Fone System Repair will fix Handoff issues on your iOS device. The platform ensures a smooth and uninterrupted experience across your Apple devices. Follow the steps below to learn more.
- Step 1: Visit the official Dr.Fone website and download the software. Install Dr.Fone on your computer by following the on-screen instructions.
- Step 2: Launch Dr.Fone. Select the System Repair option. Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable. Dr.Fone will detect your device and prompt you to download the suitable firmware package. Click Start to initiate the download.
- Step 3: After downloading the firmware, click Repair Now to commence the repair process. Dr.Fone will work its magic, resolving the Handoff issue and other iOS problems while keeping your data intact.
Handoff is a vital feature in the Apple ecosystem that streamlines tasks, ensuring a seamless experience across devices. If your Handoff isn't working, following the troubleshooting options above can help you restore it.
Moreover, for more complex iOS system problems, consider Wondershare Dr.Fone System Repair. Its ability to resolve Handoff not working on your iOS without data loss makes it a promising solution. Explore these options to ensure your Handoff works flawlessly and continues to enhance your Apple device experience.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- iPhone Storage Full
- 1. Stuck on Apple Logo Storage Full
- 2. Erase Content Settings not Working
- 3. iPhone Lagging
- 4. iPhone Running Slow
- iPhone Update Problems
- 1. Stuck on Updating iCloud Settings
- 2. iPhone Frozen During iOS Update
- 3. iPhone Checking for Update Stuck
- 4. iPhone Cellular Update Failed
- 5. iPhone Software Update Failed
- 6. iPhone Stuck on Update Requested
- 7. iPhone Update Error 1110
- 8. iPhone Stuck On Verifying Update
- 9. iPhone Won't Update
- 10. Update Server Couldn't Be Contacted
- 8. iPhone & iPad Security Updates
- 9. Update iPhone with/without iTunes
- 10. Can't Download or Update Apps
- iPhone Media Problems
- 1. Apple Music Song Not Available
- 2. iPhone Not Ringing
- 3. iPhone Echo Problem
- 4. iPhone Ringer Problems
- 5. iPhone Plays Music by Itself
- 6. Ringer Volume Changes by Itself
- 7. Music Won't Play on iPhone
- 8. Blurry Photos & Videos on iPhone
- 9. iPhone Volume Problems
- iPhone Sound Problems
- 1. YouTube no Sound
- 2. iPhone Microphone Problem
- 3. Test iPhone Microphone
- 4. Headphones No Sound from iPhone
- 5. No Sound on iPhone Game
- 6. iPhone Sound Not Working
- 7. iPhone Screen Recording no Sound
- iPhone Calling Problems
- 1. iPhone No Sound on Calls
- 2. Screen Goes Black During Call
- 3. iPhone Recent Calls Not Showing
- 4. iPhone Dropping Calls Issue
- 5. iPhone Calling Problem
- iPhone Camera Problems
- 1. iPhone Camera Black
- 2. iPhone Camera Blurry
- 3. iPhone Camera Not Working
- 4. iPhone Front Camera Not Working
- 5. TrueDepth Camera Not Working
- iPhone Network Problems
- 1. Airpods Won't Connect to iPhone
- 2. iPhone Disabled Connect to iTunes
- 3. iPhone Not Syncing Problems
- 4. iPhone Internet Not Working
- 5. iPhone Keep Disconnecting from Wifi
- 6. iPhone WIFI Not Working
- 7. PC Not Recognizing iPhone
- 8. iPhone Stuck on Connect to iTunes
- 9. iPhone Not Showing up in iTunes
- 10. iTunes Not Detecting Your iPhone
- Other iPhone Problems