6 Tried Ways to Fix iPad White Screen [Fix It Now!]
The iPad is generally a reliable computing device. It stays on standby waiting for your input, and you can work and play on the device for countless hours at a stretch. Updates are available on the fly, with as little downtime as possible. Overall, it is not surprising that the iPad leads the world’s tablet consumption scores, with no other tablet coming close by a long shot. So, if your iPad is stuck on white screen, you are naturally going to be worried and clueless as to what happened. Why is the iPad white screen? Well, here is why and what you can do about it. Read on!
- Part I: Why Is iPad White Screen? Can I Fix It by Myself?
- Part II: How to Fix iPad White Screen Easily
- Fix 1: Disconnect/ Reconnect The Charger
- Fix 2: Check Screen Magnification
- Fix 3: Remove the Problematic App
- Fix 4: Attempt A Hard Restart
- Fix 5: Repair iPadOS/ Reinstall iPadOS Using iTunes or Finder
- Fix 6: Repair iPadOS/ Reinstall iPadOS Using Wondershare Dr.Fone
- Part III: FAQs about iPad White Screen
Part I: Why Is iPad White Screen? Can I Fix It by Myself?
iPad can get stuck on white screen for these reasons:
1. Jailbreaking The iPad: Jailbreaking is the number one cause of iPad white screen. Jailbreaking is still a fad, even though iPadOS has come leaps and bounds from the ‘walled garden’ nomenclature iOS devices received in their early days. Jailbreaking unlocks and even adds functionality that the system does not provide normally, and, as such, can cause issues with the iPad since nothing about is endorsed or supported by Apple.
2. System Updates: During system updates, the iPad is restarted at least twice. If anything goes wrong at the time, it may get stuck on white screen. Also, undetected corruption in the firmware file can cause the white screen on iPad too.
3. Display/ Other Hardware Issues: You might be thinking you didn’t jailbreak or update the iPad, so why is the iPad stuck on white screen for you? Well, there might be a hardware issue that is causing this. Sometimes, the glitch might be temporary and could be resolved in a couple of ways, sometimes it is a hardware failure and needs more looking into, but that can only be done by professionals at the Apple Store.
Part II: How to Fix iPad White Screen Easily
So, what are the ways we can try to fix the iPad stuck on white screen? Here they are.
Fix 1: Disconnect/ Reconnect The Charger
There is little you can do when you have a white screen on iPad, because this means that the iPad is also unresponsive. The first thing you can do to trigger something on the iPad at this point is to unplug the charger and re-plug it (if it was charging) or connect the charger if it was not connected, to see if that jolts the iPad out of white screen.
Fix 2: Check Screen Magnification
Sometimes, the white screen issue on your iPad could be due to the screen magnification settings. If you zoom in on your screen accidentally, it may cause the interface to display improperly. In such a case, you can double-tap on your iPad screen with three fingers and check if the iPad screen goes back to normal.
Fix 3: Remove the Problematic App
If you have recently installed a new app on your iPad and are experiencing the white screen issue, it could be due to that app. In such cases, you can try removing the problematic app to see if that resolves the issue. To remove an app from your iPad, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the app icon on your iPad's home screen.
- Once the icons start jiggling, tap the X icon on the problematic app.
- Select Delete to confirm the removal of the app.
If the problematic app was causing the white screen issue, it should be resolved after removing it from your iPad.
Fix 4: Attempt A Hard Restart
The next thing you can do is try a hard restart on the iPad to see if the iPad stuck on white screen restarts and boots normally. Here’s how to force restart an iPad:
iPad With Home Button
Step 1: For an iPad with a home button, press and hold the Power button till the slider screen comes up. Drag the slider to shut down the iPad.
Step 2: Press and hold the Power button to restart the iPad.
iPad Without Home Button
Step 1: Press and hold any one of the volume keys and the Power button till the slider screen appears. Drag to shut down the iPad.
Step 2: Press the Power button and hold until the iPad restarts.
Fix 5: Repair iPadOS/ Reinstall iPadOS Using iTunes or Finder
The next thing you can do to fix the white screen on iPad is to try to reinstall/ repair iPadOS so that the software is refreshed completely. This method will download the latest firmware from Apple and reinstall it on the device. Here’s how to repair/reinstall iPadOS using iTunes or Finder:
Step 1: Connect your iPad to the computer using an Apple-authorized cable. This guide uses macOS and Finder to demonstrate. If the iPad is shown in Finder, you can proceed to restore it by clicking Restore iPad:
Step 2: At the next step, click "Restore" to start restoring the iPad to factory settings.
In case the iPad was not detected upon connecting to the computer, you might need to put the iPad in Recovery Mode. Here’s how to do that:
iPad With Home Button
Step 1: Keeping the iPad connected to the computer, press the Home button and the top button (or the side button) and hold until the recovery mode screen appears:
iPad Without Home Button
Step 1: Press the volume button closest to the Power button and release
Step 2: Press the other volume button and release
Step 3: Press and hold the Power button until the recovery mode screen appears.
The rest of the process is the same – in Finder/iTunes. When the device is detected in Recovery Mode, you will get an option to restore the iPad. Choose "Restore" and proceed. The firmware will be downloaded and installed on the device.
Fix 6: Repair iPadOS/ Reinstall iPadOS Using Wondershare Dr.Fone
Repair iOS System Errors Without data loss.
You might have noticed that using the Apple way means you will get the latest firmware file from Apple. However, sometimes, the issue itself has been caused by a software update to the latest version, and in such cases, it helps to reinstall a previous version of the software on the iPad. Well, Apple will not let you do that directly, you will have to find the IPSW to restore it yourself. You can, however, use a third-party tool called Dr.Fone to help you with it. Here’s how to use Wondershare Dr.Fone - System Repair (iOS) to repair the iPad white screen of death:
Step 1: Get Dr.Fone
Step 2: Connect your iPad to the computer and launch Dr.Fone
Step 3: Select the System Repair module > iPhone > iOS Repair. There are two modes to choose from - Standard and Advanced - Standard Mode fixes iPadOS without deleting user data, whereas the Advanced mode will wipe out the user data for more thorough repair.
Step 4: Put the iPad into Recovery mode. On the next screen, you will see the device model listed along with the firmware version:
You can click the "Download" button to install the firmware version. Select the version just prior to the latest update that caused the iPad white screen of death for you.
Step 5: Click Start to start the firmware download process.
Step 6: When the download is complete, the firmware file will be verified, and Dr.Fone will be ready to fix the iPad:
Step 7: Click Repair Now.
After the process is complete, the iPad will hopefully restart, and your issue will be fixed.
Part III: FAQs about iPad White Screen
1. How to Prevent the White Screen of Death from Happening Again?
To prevent the White Screen of Death from happening again on your iPad, you can try the following tips:
- Regularly update your iPad's software to ensure that it is running on the latest version.
- Be careful when downloading and installing new apps, as some apps can cause compatibility issues or software conflicts. Avoid jailbreaking your iPad, as it can expose your device to security risks and instability.
- Back up your iPad data regularly, so you can restore your device to a previous state in case of any issues.
2. Can I fix the White Screen of Death on iPad without losing data?
Yes, you can use the Standard Repair of Dr.Fone - System Repair (iOS) as mentioned above. It can repair most iOS system issues without data loss.
iPad white screen is a particularly serious issue since the fixes are rather either/ or in nature. Either the issue gets resolved with restarts or system repair or you are looking at costly hardware service. Fortunately, if you did not jailbreak your iPad, chances are that the issue is software-based, a.k.a. a glitch, and that can be resolved with hard restarting or reinstalling iPadOS or in worst-case scenario, completely reinstalling the firmware using either iTunes/Finder or tools such as Wondershare Dr.Fone that will also allow you to revert to a previous iPadOS version just as easily. If the iPad is still stuck on white screen, then, unfortunately, this might be a hardware issue that the professionals at Apple Store will be able to help you with.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
- iPad Beta Install
- iPad DFU Mode
- 1. Backup iPad in DFU Mode
- 2. Put iPad in and get out of DFU mode
- 3. Restore iPad from DFU mode
- 4. Get iPad In and Out of DFU Mode
- iPad Recovery Mode
- 1. iPad Recovery Mode Not Working
- 2. Restore iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 3. Put iPad in Recovery Mode
- iPad Update/Downgrade
- 1. Downgrade iPadOS 16 Beta to 15
- 2. Fix iPad Stuck on Preparing Update
- 3. Fix iPad Stuck On Update Requested
- 4. Fix iPad stuck at Verifying Update
- 5. Fix iPad not updating
- iPad Common Problems
- 1. 5 Ways to Fix iPad Boot Loop
- 2. Fix Poor Wi-Fi Signal on iPad
- 3. Fix iPad crashes
- 4. Fix Wifi keeps dropping on iPad
- 5. Fix iPad Not Connecting to Hotspot
- 6. Fix iPad Overheating
- 7. Fix Common iPad Problems Easily
- 8. Fix iPad Keeps Restarting
- 9. Fix iPad Stuck in Headphone Mode
- 10. Fix iPad Won't Connect to Wi-Fi
- 11.Solutions for iPad Won't Rotate
- 12.Solutions for iPad Won't Turn Off
- 13.Fix My iPad Won't Turn On
- 14.Ways to Speed Up the Slow iPad
- 15.Fix iPad Won't Sync with iTunes
- 16.Fixe Ghost Typing and False Touch
- 17.Repair iPad Touch ID Not Working
- 18.Fix iPad Keeps Freezing
- 19.Fix Disabled iPad
- iPad App Problems
- 1. Fix iPad Sound Not Working
- 2. Fix Wallpaper not Displaying
- 3. 12 Fixes for Apps Not Downloading
- 4. Fix All iPad Email Problems
- 5. Fixe iPad No Sound in Games
- 6. Ways to Fix No Sound on iPad
- 7. Fix iPad Not Receiving Emails
- 8. Fixe Safari Crashing on iPads
- 9. Fix YouTube Not Working on iPad
- 10. Force Quit Frozen Apps On iPad
- 11.Fix 'Cannot Connect to App Store'
- iPad Button Problems
- 1. Fix iPad Home Button Not Working
- 2. Fix iPad Power Button Not Working
- 3. Fixes for iPad Volume Button Stuck
- iPad Charging Problems
- 1. Fix iOS 16 Battery Drain Issues
- 2. Fixe iPad Battery Draining Fast
- 3. Ways to Speed Up iPad Charging!
- 4. Fixes for iPad Not Charging
- 5. Fix IPad Not Charging
- iPad Keyboard Problems
- 1. Fixe iPad Keyboard Not Working
- 2. Fix Keyboard Trackpad Not Working
- 3. Smart Keyboard Folio VS Magic Keyboard
- iPad Screen Problems