Smart Keyboard Folio VS. Magic Keyboard: Which One is Better to Buy?
Keyboards are essential pieces of hardware that can make your tasks significantly more manageable. Particularly for tablets and iPads, attaching a keyboard can substantially boost your productivity. For iPad users, Apple sells its famous keypads as Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard. Not sure which one to use? Here we are to sort things out for you.
You can find a detailed and insightful Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard comparison in the proceeding read and the key differences between Apple’s two keyboards and how they are similar to each other below, which can help you decide which works best for you.
- Part 1: The Similarities between Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard
- Part 2: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Trackpad (The Major Difference)
- Part 3: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Compatibility
- Part 4: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Adjustability
- Part 5: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Backlit Keys
- Part 6: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Port
- Part 7: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Weight
- Part 8: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Price
Related Topic: 14 Fixes for "iPad Keyboard is Not Working"
You can watch the video below to find out Smart Keyboard Folio VS. Magic Keyboard
Part 1: The Similarities between Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard
To begin with, our Magic Keyboard vs. Smart Keyboard Folio comparison, let’s first look at the similarities between the two keyboards. Apple’s Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard are alike in many ways, some of which are mentioned below:
One of the major characteristics that both Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio share is portability. Apple has designed both keyboards keeping the convenience and managing users' needs in mind. Both Magic Keyboard and Smart Folio are light and compact. Thus, you can easily use the two keypads anywhere without much clutter.
Apple’s Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio come accompanied by 64 keys with minimal key travel. Both keyboards use a scissor-switch that allows increased stability and ensures a smooth and hassle-free typing experience.
3. Water Resistance
Apple’s two keyboards feature a woven fabric or a canvas-like material encapsulating the keys. As a result, it makes liquid or dust particles challenging to get inside the keys, rendering the keyboards almost wholly water-resistant.
4. Smart Connector
Both the Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio by Apple are wireless keyboards. Instead of cables or Bluetooth, the keyboards use smart connectors to attach to the iPad.
Both keyboards are made of flexible rubber and textured plastic. The material allows the keyboards to bend to some extent, while the back is solid and durable with a rigid hinge.
Part 2: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Trackpad (The Major Difference)
Moving on to the difference between Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard, the demarcation lies at the trackpad. While the Magic Keyboard offers a dedicated keypad suitable for various purposes, the Smart Keyboard Folio does not come with one.
You can use the trackpad on Magic Keyboard to swipe left, right, up, and down on your iPad. You can also zoom in or out, navigate directly to the home screen by swiping up three fingers, or switch apps quickly. To achieve all this in Smart Keyboard Folio, you will need to attach an external mouse or trackpad to your iPad.
Part 3: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Compatibility
Some slight differences occur when comparing the compatibility across Apple’s Smart Folio vs. Magic Keyboard. Both keyboards are compatible with iPad Pro 11 inches, iPad Air (4th & 5th Generation), and iPad Pro 12.9 inches for 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations. When considering the Smart Keyboard vs. Smart Keyboard Folio comparison, the former is compatible with iPad Air 3rd, iPad Pro 10.5 inches, and 4th, 7th, 8th, and 9th generation iPads.
You can use both keyboards with iPad Pro 2018 and later models, but some technical difficulties arise when using Smart Keyboard Folio with the 2020 or 2021 iPad Pro. In comparison, the Magic Keyboard suits well with the newer 2021 12.9 inches iPad Pro despite it being marginally thicker.
Part 4: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Adjustability
In the Magic Keyboard vs. Folio adjustability comparison, the former serves a significant advantage owing to its adjustable hinges that allow you to tilt the screen of your iPad between 80 and 130 degrees. You can choose any position between these angles that feel the most natural to you.
On the other hand, the Smart Folio only allows two rigid viewing angles held in place using magnets. This results in steep viewing angles, which can cause discomfort for users in specific scenarios.
Part 5: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Backlit Keys
The backlit keys feature in keyboards is a handy tool that lights up your keyboard, making it easier for you to type in the dark. When considering the Magic Keyboard vs. Smart Folio comparison, backlit keys are only available in Magic Keyboard, while the latter does not offer such a feature.
You can also adjust the brightness and ambiance of the backlight on your keys by accessing the settings on your iPad. You can go to the “Hardware Keyboard” settings under “General” and increase or decrease your keyboard’s backlight brightness easily using the slider.
Part 6: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Port
Further, along with the Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard comparison, a significant difference lies in the ports. The Smart Keyboard Folio does not contain any port except the Smart Connector that connects it to the iPad.
Contrary to this, Apple’s Magic Keyboard offers a USB Type-C port that offers pass-through charging present in the hinge. Although the port is only available for charging the keyboard, you can use the free port on the iPad for other portable drives and mice, etc.
Part 7: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Weight
A clear difference exists between Apple’s Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard when the weight of the two is concerned. The Smart Keyboard Folio is noticeably lighter at a mere 0.89 pounds, which is ordinary for a rubber keyboard.
On the other hand, the Magic Keyboard weighs a whopping 1.6 pounds. When attached to an iPad, the Magic Keyboard brings the combined weight to an approximate 3 pounds, which is nearly equal to that of a 13″ MacBook Pro.
Part 8: Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard: Price
The final nail in the Magic Keyboard vs. Smart Keyboard Folio comparison is the price of both instruments. Apple’s Magic Keyboard comes at a startling cost of 349 USD for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. For the iPad Pro 11-inch models, you will need to pay a hefty sum of $299. The sum is more than the price of some of Apple’s entry-level iPads.
The Smart Keyboard Folio is much cheaper in this regard, with the 11-inch iPad Pro version costing you $179 and $199 for the 12.9-inches version. It can work with all the iPad Pro 2018 and 2020 models.
A great deal of thought goes into buying the right keyboard for your iPad. Although Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard are Apple’s two most sought-after keyboards, they both come with their own strengths and weaknesses.
In the Smart Keyboard Folio vs. Magic Keyboard comparison mentioned above, you can find all the similarities and critical differences that exist between the two. Thus, you can now make a well-informed choice regarding which one to buy for your iPad.
- iPad Beta Install
- iPad DFU Mode
- 1. Backup iPad in DFU Mode
- 2. Put iPad in and get out of DFU mode
- 3. Restore iPad from DFU mode
- 4. Get iPad In and Out of DFU Mode
- iPad Recovery Mode
- 1. iPad Recovery Mode Not Working
- 2. Restore iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode
- 3. Put iPad in Recovery Mode
- iPad Update/Downgrade
- 1. Downgrade iPadOS 16 Beta to 15
- 2. Fix iPad Stuck on Preparing Update
- 3. Fix iPad Stuck On Update Requested
- 4. Fix iPad stuck at Verifying Update
- 5. Fix iPad not updating
- iPad Common Problems
- 1. 5 Ways to Fix iPad Boot Loop
- 2. Fix Poor Wi-Fi Signal on iPad
- 3. Fix iPad crashes
- 4. Fix Wifi keeps dropping on iPad
- 5. Fix iPad Not Connecting to Hotspot
- 6. Fix iPad Overheating
- 7. Fix Common iPad Problems Easily
- 8. Fix iPad Keeps Restarting
- 9. Fix iPad Stuck in Headphone Mode
- 10. Fix iPad Won't Connect to Wi-Fi
- 11.Solutions for iPad Won't Rotate
- 12.Solutions for iPad Won't Turn Off
- 13.Fix My iPad Won't Turn On
- 14.Ways to Speed Up the Slow iPad
- 15.Fix iPad Won't Sync with iTunes
- 16.Fixe Ghost Typing and False Touch
- 17.Repair iPad Touch ID Not Working
- 18.Fix iPad Keeps Freezing
- 19.Fix Disabled iPad
- iPad App Problems
- 1. Fix iPad Sound Not Working
- 2. Fix Wallpaper not Displaying
- 3. 12 Fixes for Apps Not Downloading
- 4. Fix All iPad Email Problems
- 5. Fixe iPad No Sound in Games
- 6. Ways to Fix No Sound on iPad
- 7. Fix iPad Not Receiving Emails
- 8. Fixe Safari Crashing on iPads
- 9. Fix YouTube Not Working on iPad
- 10. Force Quit Frozen Apps On iPad
- 11.Fix 'Cannot Connect to App Store'
- iPad Button Problems
- 1. Fix iPad Home Button Not Working
- 2. Fix iPad Power Button Not Working
- 3. Fixes for iPad Volume Button Stuck
- iPad Charging Problems
- 1. Fix iOS 16 Battery Drain Issues
- 2. Fixe iPad Battery Draining Fast
- 3. Ways to Speed Up iPad Charging!
- 4. Fixes for iPad Not Charging
- 5. Fix IPad Not Charging
- iPad Keyboard Problems
- 1. Fixe iPad Keyboard Not Working
- 2. Fix Keyboard Trackpad Not Working
- 3. Smart Keyboard Folio VS Magic Keyboard
- iPad Screen Problems