Backup data on your iOS devices easily and restore backup files selectively to any device.
Tips & Tricks for How to Backup iPhone to Mac
How can I backup files, including music, photos, and videos from my iPhone to MacBook Pro running in OS X Mavericks? iTunes just refused to do anything like it syncs files to an iPhone. Please help. Thanks! - Owen
To ensure the security of your iPhone settings and files, you should backup your iPhone regularly. Once something goes wrong with your iPhone, you can easily restore iPhone from backup. In the following, solutions on how to backup iPhone to Mac as well as related information are covered. Click to read the part you're interested in:
- Part 1. How to backup iPhone to Mac with iTunes and iCloud(free)
- Part 2. How to backup iPhone to Mac with dr.fone(flexible and fast)
- Part 3. iPhone Backup File Location(Mac) and Included File Types
1. How to backup iPhone on Mac with iCloud
If it is troublesome for you to connect your iPhone with Mac to backup iPhone on Mac via iTunes, you might like using iCloud to backup iPhone to Mac without iTunes. It's pretty easy to backup iPhone to Mac with iCloud. The only thing you need to make sure is that the network is stable. Below are the steps to backup iPhone on Mac without iTunes, but iCloud.
Steps to backup iPhone to Mac with iCloud
- • Step 1. Connect your iPhone with Wi-Fi and make sure the network is stable;.
- • Step 2. Tap Settings > iCloud. From here, you should enter your iCloud account or Apple ID. If you don't have one yet, you should register one first.
- • Step 3. Tap Storage > Backup and then wipe the iCloud Backup on. Tap Back Up Now.
2. How to backup iPhone on Mac via iTunes
Taking the security of private information into consideration, some people don't want to backup iPhone via iCould, the cloud service, but prefer using iTunes. Fortunately, it's very simple to backup iPhone on Mac via iTunes too. Below are the simple steps.
Steps to backup iPhone on Mac with iTunes
- • Step 1. Connect your iPhone with your Mac via your iPhone USB cable.
- • Step 2. Click iTunes View menu and select Show Sidebar.
- • Step 3. Click your iPhone under DEVICES in the sidebar. From the right side, you can see the option Backups. Choose This computer and Back Up Now. That's it!
3. How to backup iPhone on Mac via iTunes sync
Backing up iPhone to Mac via iTunes sync will enable your iPhone to wirelessly sync to your Mac when your phone is plugged into a power source and connected to the same WiFi network. So, this is a convenient method to backup iPhone on Mac.
Steps to backup iPhone with iTunes sync
- • Step 1. Launch iTunes and connect your device with Mac and .
- • Step 2. On the Summary tab, tick "Sync with this iPhone over Wifi"
Pros and Cons:
iCloud backup is very convenient and easy. You can finish all the process on your phone, no need to download a software on your computer. But you are not allowed to backup iPhone data selectively. And you can't access iCloud backup to veiw your iCloud backup files.
iTunes backup is not that convenient like iCloud backup, you need to handle it one your computer. You can backup the whole device in one click, but this is also the weakness: you can't selectively backup your iPhone data. If you restore your iPhone with iTunes, your iPhone data will be covered.
Note: In order to make up for the flaws of iCloud backup and iTunes backup, we will show you a better way to backup iPhone to Mac in the next part.
I've mentioned how to backup an iPhone via an iTunes above. However, this backup only contains iPhone settings, you can't backup file selectively. But dr.fone - Backup & Restore (iOS) can help you backup your iPhone notes, messages, contacts, photos, Facebook messages and many other data in 3 steps.
Selectively backup iPhone to Mac in 3 minutes!
- Preview and export what you want from the backup to your Mac.
- No data loss on devices during the restore.
- Selectively backup and restore any data you want.
- Works for all iOS devices. Compatible with the latest iOS 12.
- Fully compatible with Windows 10 or Mac 10.14.
Steps on how to backup iPhone to Mac with dr.fone
Step 1. To backup iPhone to Mac, run dr.fone firstly and connect your iPhone to Mac. dr.fone will detect your iPhone automatically, after you see the follow windows, please choose "Backup & Restore".
Step 2. When your iPhone is connected, choose the type of data to backup, just choose the file type you want, then click button "Backup".
Step 3. Now dr.fone is backing up your iPhone data, this process will take some minutes, please don't disconnect your device.
Step 4. After the iPhone backup process is completed, you can check all the contents of your iPhone, then select the ones you want to export, just click "Export to PC". There has two choice : "Only export this file type" and "Export all the selected file type", just choose the right one you want to. After you export your iPhone backup files to Mac, you can directly go to view them on your computer.
Pros and Cons
dr.fone allows you to preview and selectively backup iPhone to Mac, which is a flexible design for users since most users may just want to backup part of their iPhone data to Mac. What's more, you can directly view iPhone backup files made by dr.fone. From the above introduction, we can know that the whole process of backing iPhone to Mac is very easy. These friendly user experiences are what iTunes and iCloud can't reach. But if you'd like to backup iPhone to Mac in this way, you have to download dr.fone on your computer.
Where to find iPhone backup file on Mac?
After you backup iPhone to Mac, you can find the backup file in this directory: Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. To check all iPhone backups, you should hold down Command, Shift, and G key on the keyboard to enable the Go to menu. Enter the directly: Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup.
What kind of files are included in the backup?
Each backup you've made on iTunes includes capture videos and images in iPhone Camera Roll, contacts and contact favorites, calendar accounts and calendar events, safari bookmarks, notes, and more. Files in iPhone backup can't be seen and picked up. This problem can be solved in "part 2".
- Backup iPhone Data
- Backup iPhone Contacts
- Backup iPhone Text Messages
- Backup iPhone Photos
- Backup iPhone apps
- Export iPhone SMS
- Text Message and iMessage Archive
- Backup iPhone SMS without iTunes
- Backup iPhone Password
- Backup Jailbreak iPhone Apps
- Save Picture from MMS on iPhone
- iPhone Backup Solutions
- Best iPhone Backup Software
- Backup iPhone to iTunes
- Backup Locked iPhone Data
- Backup iPhone to Mac
- Backup iPhone Location
- How to Backup iPhone
- Backup iPhone to Computer
- iPhone Backup Tips