How to Unlock when I Forgot my Apple ID Password and Email?
Forgetting the password to their Apple ID is common among Apple users because we have a lot of devices, and we set different passwords for each device to keep them secure from hackers. When surfing the internet, you come across many queries like I forgot my Apple ID password and email; what to do now.
If you are also among the unfortunate people who have forgotten their Apple ID credentials, this article will help you. It will provide a detailed process to reset your Apple ID password with email and other options. Furthermore, it will also recommend a great tool to unlock your Apple ID regardless of the situation.
- Part 1: What happens if I forget Apple ID password and Email
- Part 2: How to retrieve Apple ID password by Two-Factor Authentication
- Part 3: How to retrieve Apple ID password by Two-Step Verification
- Part 4: Get your Apple ID password back through Security Questions or Email
- Part 5: Your best choice: Retrieve Apple ID password back via a powerful third-party app
Part 1: What Happens if I Forget Apple ID Password and Email
Before diving into how to retrieve App ID, let’s review what it is and its importance. The Apple ID is the official mail for your Apple account, which is essential for using Apple devices. Without an Apple ID, you won’t be able to access most of the core services needed for the device to work. These services include App Store, iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, etc.
Situations Where You Can Forget Apple ID Email & Password
- Infrequent Usage:If you haven’t used your Apple ID for a while, you can easily forget the email and password associated with the Apple ID. It is the most common reason people forget their Apple ID email or password.
- Too Many Emails:Do you use multiple email accounts for different services, including your Apple account? It can also lead you to easily forget which email account is linked with your Apple ID.
- Shared Account:In the case of a shared Apple account, it is possible that the other person changed the Apple ID email or password without your knowledge. You will get the wrong email or password when using the Apple ID if you don’t know the actual password.
- Hacking:It is also possible that your Apple account was hacked and the hacker changed its email or password. You won’t be able to use your Apple ID in this scenario.
Part 2: How To Retrieve Apple ID Password by Two-Factor Authentication
Apple, known for its secure devices, employs the latest security protocols to ensure device security. Most of Apple’s current devices use two-factor authentication to protect user privacy and identity. A key requirement of 2FA is having at least one trusted device associated with your Apple ID along with your primary device. This part contains the process for retrieving the Apple ID password via 2FA for both iOS and macOS devices.
Best For: When users forget their Apple ID password but have access to at least one trusted device.
Supported Devices: iOS 9, iPadOS 13, OS X 10.11, or later.
iOS Two-Factor Authentication
Step 1: On your iPhone, launch “Settings” and tap the “Apple ID” profile icon. On the next screen, locate and choose the “Password & Security” option.
Step 2: Afterward, select “Change Password” it will result in a prompt of your Apple ID being logged in. Tap “Allow” to receive the verification code and enter it to proceed.
Step 3: It will lead to the “Change Password” screen, where you need to tap “Forgotten Password.” Next, you will be asked to provide the number associated with your Apple ID.
Step 4: After entering the number, press “Next,” and it will send a “Reset Password” prompt on a device associated with your Apple ID. Move to the respective device and tap “Allow.”
Step 5: Now, you will be asked to provide the passcode of the respective device. Once you have entered it, a “New Apple ID Password” screen will open. Here set up the new password for your Apple ID.
macOS Two-Factor Authentication
Step 1: Launch the "System Settings" on your Mac and click the "Apple ID" from the left sidebar. Here, access the "Password & Security" option and select "Change Password."
Step 2: It will ask you to add the password of your Mac as confirmation. Now, input the MacBook password, and the “Change Password” window will open through which you can change the password of your Apple ID.
Part 3: How To Retrieve Apple ID Password by Two-Step Verification
If you use an iPhone with iOS older than iOS 9, you cannot use two-factor authentication. Instead, it is the two-step verification that is enabled for these devices. When two-step verification is enabled, you need a recovery key and a trusted device to retrieve your Apple ID password. You receive the recovery key when you first enable 2SV on your device.
Best For: When you have forgotten your Apple ID password and use a device with a system version older than iOS 9, iPadOS 13, and OS X 10.11.
Steps To Retrieve Apple ID Password by Two-Step Verification
Step 1: Visit Apple’s iforgot website and enter your Apple ID. Now, answer the CAPTCHA below and click “Continue.” Afterward, choose the reset your password option and hit “Continue.”
Step 2: Here, type your recovery key and tap “Continue.” Next, you will be asked to choose a trusted device to receive a verification code. Select the device and enter the received code.
Step 3: Once the verification has been done, it will ask you to choose a new password. After choosing the password, click “Reset Password” to complete the process.
Part 4: Get Your Apple ID Password Back Through Security Questions or Email
In case you don't have a trusted device linked with your Apple ID, you can use the email or security question to reset the password. You need access to the email address associated with your Apple ID to reset your Apple ID with email. Another option is to use the security question if you have added one and remember the answer.
Best For: When you forget the Apple ID password, but there is no trusted device.
Steps To Get Your Apple ID Password Back Through Security Questions or Email
Step 1: Use your computer’s browser to access the iforgot website. Here, enter your Apple ID email and CAPTCHA and click “Continue” to proceed further.
Step 2: Now choose the option to reset your password and tap “Continue.” Select “How to reset your password” on the next screen and choose “Get an email” or “Answer security questions.” Afterward, follow the instructions by Apple to reset your Apple ID password.
Part 5: Your Best Choice: Retrieve Apple ID Password Back via a Powerful Third-Party App
While the methods mentioned above are great for recovering Apple ID passwords, they all have key pre-conditions. Some require trusted devices, while others need to remember recovery keys or have access to the email account. That raises the question of how to reset your iCloud email password if you don’t have any of these things. The best way is to use Wondershare Dr.Fone, the solution to all smartphone problems.
It has a powerful unlock tool to remove the Apple ID from your iPhone. After that, you can use your device with a new Apple ID whose password you can keep safe. With the new ID, you will be able to use all the services on the iPhone without any worries.
Key Features of Dr.Fone Mobile Toolbox
- Fone can unlock all types of iPhone screen locks, including passcode, Touch ID, Face ID, etc.
- This tool can remove or bypass the iCloud activation lock to access App Store and iTunes Store.
- It also allows you to remove or bypass MDM on your iPhone and iPad without losing data.
- With this tool, you can also remove iTunes backup encryption if you have forgotten the encryption password.
Steps To Retrieve Apple ID Password Back via Dr.Fone
With Dr.Fone, the process of unlocking your Apple ID also becomes easier. You only need a computer with Dr.Fone installed and a cable to connect your iPhone. Here is how you can unlock your Apple ID using Dr.Fone:
Step 1: Launch Dr.Fone and Select Screen Unlock
Once you have installed the Dr.Fone app on your system, launch it and select “Screen Unlock.” Here, click “Remove Apple ID” and connect your iPhone to your computer.
Step 2: Activate the Recovery Mode on Your iPhone
After connecting your iPhone, unlock it and tap “Trust” in the “Trust this Computer” prompt. Next, you need to press the “Unlock Now” button and put your iPhone into Recovery Mode using the on-screen instructions.
Step 3: Complete the Apple ID Unlock Process
The unlocking process will start once your iPhone has entered the Recovery Mode and restarted. It will take some time to unlock the Apple ID. When the process is complete, check if the Apple ID has been removed. If yes, press “Done”; otherwise, click “Try Again.”
Note: Your iPhone’s iOS should be lower than iOS 14.2 for this process. Moreover, two-factor authentication also needs to be enabled. Besides, it will also clear your iPhone data, so you should create a backup before trying this method.
To summarize the key points, it is clear that while forgetting Apple ID credentials is unfortunate, it isn’t the end of the world. There are multiple great and easy answers to how to retrieve Apple ID. Even if you have nothing, a tool like Dr.Fone allows you to unlock your Apple ID without any complex process. Having this tool ensures that your device is in safe hands.
- Access Locked iPhone
- 1. Reset Locked iPhone Without iTunes
- 2. Erase Locked iPhone
- 3. Get Into Locked iPhone
- 4. Factory Reset Locked iPhone
- 5. Reset Locked iPhone
- 6. iPhone Is Disabled
- iPhone Lock Screen
- 1. Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch
- 2. Unlock Forget iPhone PIN
- 3. Unlock iPhone When Forgot Passcode
- 4. iPhone Lock Screen With Notification
- 5. Remove Passcode From iPhone
- 6. Unlock Found iPhone
- 7. Unlock iPhone without Computer
- 8. Unlock iPhone with Broken Screen
- 9. Unlock Disabled iPhone with iTunes
- 10. Unlock iPhone without Face ID
- 11. Unlock iPhone in Lost Mode
- 12. Unlock Disabled iPhone Without iTunes
- 13. Unlock iPhone Without Passcode
- 14. Unlock iFace ID While Wearing Mask
- 15. Lock Apps on iPhone
- 16. Bypass iPhone Passcode
- 17. Unlock Disabled iPhone Without PC
- 18. Unlock iPhone With/Without iTunes
- 19. Unlock iPhone 7/6 without PC
- 20. Unlock iPhone Passcode Screen
- 21. Reset iPhone Password
- 22. Bad ESN/Blacklisted IMEI on iPhone
- Remove iCloud Lock
- 1. Remove iCloud from iPhone
- 2. Remove Activate Lock without Apple ID
- 3. Remove Activate Lock without Password
- 4. Unlock iCloud Locked iPhone
- 5. Crack iCloud-Locked iPhones to Sell
- 6. Jailbreak iCloud Locked iPhone
- Unlock Apple ID
- 1. iPhone Asking for Apple ID Randomly
- 2. Get Apple ID Off without Password
- 3. Remove an Apple ID from iPhone
- 4. Remove Apple ID without Password
- Remove SIM Lock
- 1. Unlock iPhone Using Unlock Chip
- 2. Unlock iPhone for Free
- 3. Unlock iPhone Online
- 4. Unlock EE iPhone
- 5. Factory Unlock iPhone
- 6. SIM Unlock iPhone
- 7. Unlock AT&T iPhone
- 8. Unlock iPhone with IMEI Code
- 9. Unlock iPhone without SIM Card
- 10. Unlock Cricket iPhone
- 11. Unlock iPhone MetroPCS
- 12. Unlock iPhone with/without SIM Card
- 13. Unlock Telstra iPhone
- 14. Unlock T-Mobile iPhone
- 15. Unlock Verizon iPhone
- 16. iPhone IMEI Checker
- 17. Check If iPhone Is Unlocked
- Unlock iPhone MDM
- 1. MDM On iPhone
- 2. Remove MDM from iPhone
- 3. Remote Management on iPhone
- 4. Unlock MDM Softwares
- 5. MDM VS MAM
- Unlock Screen Time Passcode