What To Do If iPhone Touch Screen Not Working After iOS 16/17 Update
Since the original in 2007, Apple has released an iPhone model and a corresponding new iOS release every year. This year is no different, and we have iOS 17. However, users trying the software out are in for a surprise as this year the software is rougher than usual at this stage, and there are reports of the iPhone touch screen not working after iOS 16/17 update. If you are facing the issue, learn how to fix the iPhone screen not working issue quickly.
- Part I: Why Is My iPhone Screen Unresponsive To Touch In iOS 16/17?
- Part II: How To Fix iPhone Touch Screen Not Working After iOS 16/17 Update
- Fix 1: The Fastest Way With No Data Loss
- Fix 2: Restart The Device
- Fix 3: Force Restart The Device
- Fix 4: Reset All Settings
- Fix 5: About App Issues
- Fix 6: About Hardware Issues
Part I: Why Is My iPhone Screen Unresponsive To Touch In iOS 16/17?
You might be wondering about the possible reasons for your iPhone screen not responding to touch issue. Including an unfortunate and mistimed hardware failure, there exist a few other reasons why this can happen.
- a bug in an app
- a display driver bug in the new iOS 16/17
- the conflict between old and new codes causes corruption
- any other issue causing a frozen iPhone to manifest as a non-responsive touchscreen
- hardware issues.
Part II: How To Fix iPhone Touch Screen Not Working After iOS 16/17 Update
Now, let's get down to fixing the iPhone touch screen not working issue as quickly as possible.
Fix 1: The Fastest Way With No Data Loss
If you are short on time and want to get it over with quickly, this is the best and the fastest way to resolve the iPhone screen not responding to touch issues without hemming and hawing around the issue. You can use a third-party tool such as Wondershare Dr.Fone to fix the iPhone screen's unresponsive issue quickly in no time. Here's how:
Step 1: Get Dr.Fone
Step 2: Launch the app after the installation completes
You will see tiles with titles. Each tile is a module designed to fix specific issues. For example, phone transfer helps you seamlessly transfer contents from one device to another. Use Phone Backup to take full and selective backups. The data Recovery module helps you recover photos, videos, and other files in the unfortunate event of data loss or accidental deletion. Finally, system Repair, the module we will use now, helps you fix iOS issues.
Step 3: Click System Repair > iOS Repair. Note the two modes: Standard and Advanced. Standard Repair is used to fix iOS issues without data loss, whereas Advanced Mode will wipe user data and do a more thorough repair. Select Standard Repair to continue.
Step 4: You will be required into recovery mode. Connect your device to the computer and tap "Trust" > "Enter Recovery Mode"
After that, you can choose an iOS firmware to download.
Step 5: Now, the firmware will download and after verification with Apple, you will reach this screen:
Step 6: Click Repair Now.
The iPhone will restart when the repair is complete, and if this is not a hardware failure, your iPhone touch screen should start working again.
Fix 2: Restart The Device
A restart almost always fixes things because it clears code from memory. Here's how to restart the iPhone:
Step 1: Go to Settings > General > Shut Down
Step 2: Slide to turn the iPhone off
Step 3: After a few seconds have elapsed, press the Side Button to restart.
Fix 3: Force Restart The Device
On occasion, issues do not get resolved with a simple restart. For such times, Apple provides a way to force restart the iPhone. Here's how to force restart the iPhone to fix iPhone touch not working:
Step 1: Press the Volume Up key, then the volume Down key, then press and hold the Side button until the iPhone restarts and the Apple logo appears.
Fix 4: Reset All Settings
You can reset all settings on the iPhone to restore the settings to factory default and see if that helps with the iPhone screen being unresponsive to touch issues after iOS 16/17 update. Here's how:
Step 1: Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone. You will see these two options:
Step 2: Tap Reset, and you will see this popup:
Step 3: Tap Reset All Settings and confirm.
Fix 5: About App Issues
Apps that have not been updated in years in particular are at a greater risk of causing issues with new software, more so with the latest iOS release that is in beta stages. Even recently updated apps are known to crash, and cause other random issues, such as making the iPhone screen unresponsive when launched or after a while. There are a few reasons why this happens and going into those technical details is likely beyond the scope of this piece. What to do?
If you observe that the iPhone touch screen becomes unresponsive when launching or while using a particular app, the best thing to do is either not use the app or uninstall the app altogether.
Of note is that sometimes the mere presence of apps on the device can cause issues with beta software. In light of this information, you might want to uninstall all third-party apps you have on the phone and start installing and using apps one by one to figure out if an app was causing the iPhone touch screen not working problem on iOS 16/17.
Fix 6: About Hardware Issues
Lastly, sometimes the hardware decides to give way at the most inopportune time. You recently upgraded to iOS 16/17 and shortly after your display gives way, you might think iOS 16/17 caused this, while in truth that failure might be building up over time. The iPhone display can stop working if the battery gets swollen, because the battery is right underneath the display. If no fix works for you, it might be time to make an appointment with an Apple Store near you.
iPhone screen unresponsive issue manifests under a few circumstances alone. Bad code in the form of old apps running on new software where the old code is no longer supported, running beta software that is under testing is known to cause issues of all kinds. Then there is the understanding that what can go wrong, will go wrong at a point in time, which in iPhone terms means that as the display can go bad, it might and likely will go bad at one point or the other. Aside from hardware issues, the rest can be resolved through fixes. The fastest way is to use professional tools such as Wondershare Dr.Fone System Repair which will iron out issues in a few simple steps. If you have time to spare or are technically oriented, you can choose the longer, time-consuming ways to dive deeper and find the root of the problem yourself.
Other Popular Articles From Wondershare
iOS/iPad OS Upgrade & Downgrade
- iOS Beta Install
- 1. Download iOS Beta Profile
- 2. Download the iOS 13 Beta
- 3. iOS 16 Beta Download
- 4. Uninstall iOS Beta
- 5. Install iPhone Beta Profile
- 6. Install Mac Beta Profile
- 7. Install iOS 15 Beta Profile
- 8. Upgrade iPad to iOS 14
- iOS News
- 1. Update iPhone 4s to iOS 9
- 2. Cheaper iPhone
- 3. Customize iPhone Home Screen
- 4. Know About iOS 15 Lock Screen
- 5. Add Lyrics to Song on Apple Music
- iPhone Downgrade
- 1. Downgrade iOS Like a Pro
- 2. Roll Back to an Older iOS Version
- 3. Downgrade to iOS 15
- 4. Install Developer Profile
- 5. Downgrade iOS without iTunes
- 6. Downgrade to iOS 14
- 7. Download and Install the iOS 16
- iOS 11/12 Problems
- 1. Fix iPhone Stuck on Waiting
- 2. Fix iPhone Can't Make Calls
- 3. Fix iPhone Stuck on Logo
- 4. Fix Photos Disappeared from iPhone
- 5. Fix iPhone Keeps Freezing
- iOS 13 Problems
- 1. Fix CarPlay Not Connecting
- 2. Fix Resolve Apps Won't Open
- 3. Fix Song/Playlist Missing
- 4. Fix iPhone Asking for Passcode
- iOS 14 Problems
- 1. Fix Map Voice Navigation Won't Work
- 2. Fix iMessage Not Working
- 3. Recover Deleted Data on iOS 14
- 4. Recover Disappeared Notes on iOS 14
- iOS 15 Problems
- iOS 16 Problems
- 1. Fix iPhone Wi-Fi Not Working
- 2. Fix iOS 16 Battery Drain Issues
- 3. Fix Screen Mirroring Not Working
- 4. Fix Apple CarPlay is Not Supported
- 5. Fix iPhone Screen Not Responding
- 6. Fix iPhone Apps Keep Crashing
- 7. Fix Call Failed iPhone Issue
- 8. Fix iPhone Stuck On Apple Logo
- 9. Counter iPhone Heating Problems
- 10. Fix iPhone Stuck in Boot Loop
- 11. Fix iPhone Bluetooth Not Working
- iPhone Update Tips
- 1. iPhone & iPad Security Updates
- 2. Undo an Update on iPhone
- 3. Update iPhone with/without iTunes
- 4. Fix iPhone Checking for Update Stuck
- 5. Fix iPad Software Update Failed
- 6. Fix iPhone Stuck On Update
- 7. Fix iPhone Won't Update
- 8. Fix Update Server Not Be Contacted
- 9. Fix iPhone Stuck on Update Requested
- 10. Resolve iPhone Cellular
- 11. Resolve iPhone Error 1110
- 12. Fix iPhone Frozen