How to Save/Export WhatsApp Chat: The Definitive Guide
Did anyone ask you yet, “how can I save my WhatsApp conversations on PC?” Well, this is not an unusual question at all. When there is lot of data going in and out of your mobile device. It becomes crucial to keep a tab on things across WhatsApp chats.
For safety purpose you might export WhatsApp messages and check them later, even if you have deleted them to free up space on your device. In case, you are keen to know how to save WhatsApp conversation on your computer or over the cloud, this article is your, go to place.
Keep reading to explore more!
Part 1: 5 solutions to save/export WhatsApp chat from iPhone
If you want to know how to save WhatsApp messages from iPhone to your computer, we have good news for you. Dr.Fone – Recover (iOS) is a wonderful tool allowing you to smoothly extracting WhatsApp chats and recovering them to your PC. With optimum recovery rate and extraction capability from iCloud and iTunes backup as well as iPhone itself. This software is winning hearts of WhatsApp users on iOS.
Best extractor to export WhatsApp messages from iOS, iTunes & iCloud
- You can recover a varied range of data including media, WhatsApp, notes and contacts.
- This is the first iOS data recovery tool of the world.
- Data loss scenarios such as failed iOS update, frozen or unresponsive device, or locked-password forgotten ones can be fixed easily.
- Selective and complete data preview and recovery is supported by this tool.
- You can recover data from iCloud/iTunes backup and iPhone without any data loss.
Here is the guide showing how to save WhatsApp chat on your computer:
Pre-requisite: Turn off iTunes – iPhone automatic sync
- Launch iTunes and then go to ‘iTunes’ Menu (‘Edit’ Menu if you’re using Windows computer) on top.
- Select ‘Preferences’, then tap on ‘Devices’ and mark the checkbox saying “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically” afterwards.
For thoes users who want to recover media files like music , viedeo from iphone 5 and later and have not backed up data to iTunes before, the success rate of recovering with drfone- Recovery(iOS) will be lower. Other types of data can be restored without any limitation.
Step 1: Get your iPhone connected to the computer
Install Dr.Fone – Recover (iOS) on your computer and then plug in your iPhone through a lightning cord. Run the program and tap ‘Recover’ tab from the software window.
Step 2: Scanning the lost data on iPhone
Once the software detects your iPhone, tap on the ‘Recover from iOS Device’ tab from the left panel afterwards. Now, among the recoverable data types on your screen, opt in for ‘WhatsApp & Attachment’. Hit on ‘Start Scan’ button thereafter.
Step 3: Preview the scanned data
Meanwhile, the scan is going on, you can still preview the detected data being displayed on the following screen (in a categorized order). As soon as the scan is over, mark the checkboxes against ‘WhatsApp’ and ‘WhatsApp Attachments’ on the left side panel to filter out data and preview them.
Step 4: Save/export WhatsApp chat
Once you are done with previewing the WhatsApp chat, select the conversations that you wish to save/export to PC. Finally, hit the ‘Recover to Computer’ button to save selected WhatsApp chats to your system.
Note: In case you wish to export the attachments too, choose the desired messages and media and then hit ‘Recover to Computer’ again.
Well, the above guide was all about how to save WhatsApp chat on PC from your iPhone (iOS device). How about knowing how to export chats on WhatsApp from iTunes backup to PC. In order to ensure that no lost data is deleted forever, turn off iTunes automatic-sync. iTunes and iPhone sync might sync and lose the recently deleted information.
Here comes the detailed guide to help you save WhatsApp chat from iTunes:
Step 1: Run the software and opt for appropriate mode
Get Dr.Fone – Recover (iOS) launched on your computer. After you hit the ‘Recover’ tab from the program menu, you need to press ‘Recover iOS Data’ on the next screen. Finally, opt for ‘Recover from iTunes Backup File’ from the left panel.
Step 2: Initiate scanning of desired backup file
In a while, all the iTunes backup files will be loaded on the program interface. Select the desired backup file from the list and then hit the ‘Start Scan’ button. Within some time, the data gets scanned and extracted on the next screen.
Note: In case an iTunes backup file was transferred from a different computer through USB and is not appearing on the list. You can press the ‘Select’ button just below the iTunes backup list and upload the respective backup file.
Step 3: Preview data and then recover
Post completion of the scan, you can preview the data extracted from the selected iTunes backup file. Opt for the ‘WhatsApp’ and ‘WhatsApp Attachments’ categories on the left and hit the ‘Recover to Computer’ button. All your selected data gets saved on your computer in a short while.
Well, when you have forgotten to sync with iTunes and your backup for WhatsApp is on iCloud. How will you save theWhatsApp conversation?
Let’s see how to export WhatsApp from iCloud backup. Here’s the guide:
Step 1: Launch Dr.Fone – Recover (iOS)
First of all, run the software and then click on the ‘Recover’ tab. Now, press the ‘Recover iOS Data’ option from the application interface. Then, press the ‘Recover from iCloud Backup File’ tab on the left panel.
Step 2: Access the iCloud account
You will land in the iCloud login page of the software. Enter your iCloud account details appropriately and then log in. Ensure that this is the same iCloud account which has your WhatsApp data backup.
Step 3: Acquire the iCloud backup file
From the list of iCloud backups, select the one which, you know, contains your desired WhatsApp data. Press the ‘Download’ button against the backup file. Over the next popup window, select ‘WhatsApp’ followed by tapping the ‘Next’ button to initiate downloading of required data.
Step 3: Preview and recover WhatsApp
As soon as the iCloud backup gets scanned, you got to preview it. Choose ‘WhatsApp’ and ‘WhatsApp Attachments’ over the left-side panel and tap the ‘Recover to Computer’ button. The iCloud backup data will be saved on your computer.
For exporting WhatsApp chat by email from your iPhone, WhatsApp has built-in features for that. In this part we will show you, how to do that perfectly. You can email the chat history to yourself and it gets saved permanently there, unless you delete the email. Here is the quick guide:
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to the particular chat conversation you want to email.
- Now, hit on the respective contact’s name or the desired group subject.
- Then, click on the ‘Export Chat’ option here.
- Decide whether you want to ‘Attach Media’ or just send the chat conversation only as email, for the latter opt for ‘Without Media’.
- Press the ‘Mail’ option now. Now, opt for your desired mail provider, be it iCloud or Google or other etc.
- Lastly, type your email ID in and then hit ‘Send’. You are done!
Saving data on cloud is an advantage, as you can access it from across anywhere. Google and Dropbox being two of the major players in this segment have a strong foot holding. As most of the time you read about Google Drive backup, we would like to acquaint you with Dropbox this time.
Here, we will demonstrate the step by step tutorial on how to save WhatsApp messages from iPhone to your Dropbox account.
- The very first thing you got to do is, install Dropbox app on your iPhone. Create an account afterwards and login.
- Go to ‘WhatsApp’ and click on the desired contact name.
- Once the particular chat opens, hit on the contact name above the conversation.
- Select ‘Export Chat’ after scrolling down to bottom of the screen.
- Now, decide if you want to ‘Attach Media’ or send it ‘Without Media’.
- Tap the ‘Import with Dropbox’ option followed by tapping the ‘Save’ button. You will find the ‘Save’ button on the top-right corner.
- You are good to go now. The chat is uploaded on Dropbox successfully.
Part 2: 2 solutions to save/export WhatsApp chat from Android
So, you are thorough with WhatsApp chat exporting on iPhone now, how about being familiarized with the Android scenario? With Dr.Fone – Recover (Android), you can seamlessly export WhatsApp contacts as well. High recovery rate and support to more than 6000 Android device models is a force to reckon. It can even recover data from a physically damaged Samsung phone. You can recover data from your phone, SD card as well as a broken phone using this tool.
One-click extractor to export WhatsApp messages from Android
- You get to preview and recover complete or selective data with this.
- This happens to be the first ever Android recovery software in the world.
- It includes a broad range of data types for recovery, including WhatsApp, text messages, contacts, call records etc.
- It can recover data loss, triggered due to failed OS update, unsuccessful backup sync, ROM flashing, or rooting.
- 6000 plus Android devices along with Samsung S10 is supported by this tool.
Here is a quick guide explaining how to export WhatsApp messages from Android device:
Step 1: Install Dr.Fone – Recover (Android)
Once you have installed Dr.Fone – Recover (Android) on your computer, make sure to run it and select the ‘Recover’ option. Afterwards, connect your Android device and also ensure to activate the ‘USB Debugging’ mode right away.
Step 2: Select the data type to recover
Once Dr.Fone detects the device, select ‘Recover phone data’ and then mark the checkboxes against ‘WhatsApp messages & Attachments’ followed by hitting the ‘Next’ button.
Step 3: Scan the data
Select ‘Scan for deleted files’ or ‘Scan for all files’ from the option as per your need, if your Android device is not rooted. Press the ‘Next’ button for allowing your Android data get analyzed by the application.
Step 4: Preview and recover the data
Once, scanning is over, you’re enabled to preview the data detected from your Android phone. To specifically preview, ‘WhatsApp’ and ‘WhatsApp Attachments’ data, hit the checkboxes against the respective category from the left panel. Finally, push ‘Recover’ to get your WhatsApp messages and attachments saved on your computer.
Finally, you can export WhatsApp messages on your Android by emailing them. Though, WhatsApp chats are daily backed up and saved on your phone memory automatically. You might need them online to access further. Assume that you got to uninstall WhatsApp from Android, but you don’t want to lose chats, then taking a manual backup is paramount.
We will show you, how to export WhatsApp messages via email in this section. In order to export WhatsApp messages of an individual chat or group message copy. You need to avail the ‘Export chat’ feature on WhatsApp.
- Launch WhatsApp on your Android phone and then open a specific personal or group chat.
- Hit the ‘Menu’ button and proceed with ‘More’, followed by the ‘Export chat’ option.
- Now, you got to decide between ‘With Media’ or ‘Without Media’. We’ve selected ‘without media’ here.
- WhatsApp will attach the chat history as a .txt file to your linked email ID.
- Hit ‘Send’ button or save it as a draft.
Things to keep a note of:
- Selecting ‘Attach Media’ would send the most recent media files as an attachment along with the .txt file.
- Up to 10,000 recent messages can be sent along with the latest media files by email.
- If you don’t share media, then WhatsApp can email 40,000 messages. This factor is due to the maximum email size to be attached.
You Might Also Like
- WhatsApp Backup
- Restore WhatsApp
- Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to Android
- Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone
- Restore iPhone WhatsApp
- Get Back WhatsApp
- How to Use GT WhatsApp Recovery
- Get Back WhatsApp Without Backup
- Best WhatsApp Recovery Apps
- Recover WhatsApp Online
- WhatsApp Tactics